Author Topic: Noooooooooooo!  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Chris_Gilbert80

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Thomas
Re: Noooooooooooo!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 15:12:30 PM »
Asda have gone and done it.  I knew they would eventually.  Hi Life essentials small tins.  They have been 4 for £1 for as long as I can remember and they are Mosi's favourite.  No longer, alas :(  They are now 35p each which is a massive 10p a tin dearer now.   I am well p'd off, especially as the price increase coincides with a new budget to deal with my finances and it's very tight so I need to buy the cheapest cat food I can but obviously I want to buy good quality stuff where possible (sadly Jaffa has voted with his taste buds and will only eat junk but at his age he can have what he wants).  So Mosi has been pretty much moved onto the hi life pouches (wilkinsons sell 12 hi life essentials pouches for £2.89) with just the odd tin.  He does like the pouches so that's ok as long as they dont go up, but he was happy with the tins being his staple food and I am a bit bummed :( 

I've well and truly fallen out with Asda now as they have also put up the price of their eggs - for a long time they sold their large free range eggs 2 (dozen) for £4 but that offer has also come to an end.  I eat loads of eggs so took advantage of that one a lot.  I go to Aldi for my eggs now.

Ah no, that is really sad news. I hate when something like this happens because it can really effect our pockets. You just get used to it being one way and is taken from you. Hopefully you will find an alternative!! I found out that recently I have found some deals on cat food here and also here
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:23:09 AM by Chris_Gilbert80 »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 11:40:59 AM »
Hi Life are odd in that they call different products different names depending on which outlet is selling them!  I think the hi life essentials are mainly an Asda thing, although a few years ago they stopped selling the pouches and Morrisons started selling them.  More of the cheap shops - Wilkinsons, Quality Save etc. - seem to sell the hi life essential pouches.  I am sure the petit pate tins are the same as the hi life essential tins.  Asda sell the tins singly but they put out a mixed tray of flavours - they do turkey and giblets, salmon and a tuna one.  Most in each tray seem to be the turkey one and that is Mosi's favourite.  I did once buy a box of petit pate tins at the same time and they did a different selection of flavours, but I compared ingredients for the turkey and giblets one.  Both looked the same visually, had the same list of ingredients (in the same order) and the same nutritional composition.  I was convinced they were the same product.  So maybe if I try to remember which stores sell the boxes of petit pate tins, I will find that works out cheaper than buying the tins singly.

ETA - the tins are cheaper on the hi life website but the trouble with buying mail order is postage (I didn't notice P&P?) plus I won't be in for delivery so will probably have a hassle collecting them.  If I have to drive to parcelforce depot I will spend more on petrol than I will save buying online.  Plus I don't have a debit card so have to use my pre pay credit card when buying online and there is a fee for using that.  So not always worthwhile buying online.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:43:23 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 10:16:33 AM »
..I think B & M Bargains also sells it? Have you tried Asda website? They are often not increased as quickly

Heres a link to order direct. Not sure which ones you get exactly but prices range from 29p up. But doing it this way, you may need to bulk order to justify any delivery costs

http://www.hilifepet.co.uk/osb/showitem.cfm/category/18

BUT doing a search on the net shows quite a few offers from various places??
Good Luck  ;D ;D
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 00:45:58 AM »
I always stock up when Gourmet or Sheeba are on offer cos we just have to save when we can these days.

The good news at Asda though Susanne is they do their own make of Dreamies for about 79p a packet  :wow: They only do one flavour though which is chicken and cheese - Bonnie loves them.

Do you have a shop called Home Bargains where you live? They sell hi-life tins but not sure how much they are.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 17:07:52 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

How is Beavis?

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 16:38:31 PM »
ALL of mine have a sixth 'special offer' sense - if it's on the cheap  , then they are  not gonna eat it! :tired:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 20:56:39 PM »
Sadly this seems to be the way all supermarkets are going and Tescos own pouches shot up to 35p a few weeks agao and most of offers have vanished and am paying from 35p to nearly 70p a tin as all cats eat something different but its breaking the bank now.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Noooooooooooo!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 19:25:06 PM »
Asda have gone and done it.  I knew they would eventually.  Hi Life essentials small tins.  They have been 4 for £1 for as long as I can remember and they are Mosi's favourite.  No longer, alas :(  They are now 35p each which is a massive 10p a tin dearer now.   I am well p'd off, especially as the price increase coincides with a new budget to deal with my finances and it's very tight so I need to buy the cheapest cat food I can but obviously I want to buy good quality stuff where possible (sadly Jaffa has voted with his taste buds and will only eat junk but at his age he can have what he wants).  So Mosi has been pretty much moved onto the hi life pouches (wilkinsons sell 12 hi life essentials pouches for £2.89) with just the odd tin.  He does like the pouches so that's ok as long as they dont go up, but he was happy with the tins being his staple food and I am a bit bummed :( 

I've well and truly fallen out with Asda now as they have also put up the price of their eggs - for a long time they sold their large free range eggs 2 (dozen) for £4 but that offer has also come to an end.  I eat loads of eggs so took advantage of that one a lot.  I go to Aldi for my eggs now.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 19:27:04 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Link to CatChat