Author Topic: Meg kitten is off for her spay op tomorrow........  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Meg kitten is off for her spay op tomorrow........
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 21:03:20 PM »
Hope she's completely back to normal soon enough  :hug:

Jas has been incredibly good with her - I was expecting her to hiss and react badly as Meg would smell of the vets but she seems to know there is something 'wrong' and has even given her a good wash on her back and tail :)

Very sweet  :Luv2:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 21:01:55 PM »
Hope the swelling goes down OK and she gets back to her normal self  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 18:11:51 PM »
Meg went back for her post op check with the nurse today :) She said the wound was healing nicely but she does have some swelling around the wound site, which she said should gradually go down but to just keep an eye on it and if it doesn't or gets worse to take her back. Her temp was normal which was a good sign apparently :)

She's been quite subdued the last few days as she hates the cone and isn't happy running around like normal in it (which is probably a good thing!!) but tonight she's just had a manic moment and is trying to wrestle Jasmine so I've seperated them for a bit :)

Jas has been incredibly good with her - I was expecting her to hiss and react badly as Meg would smell of the vets but she seems to know there is something 'wrong' and has even given her a good wash on her back and tail :)

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 17:28:25 PM »
She seems a bit calmer with the cone on but still keeps trying to wrestle Jasmine (much to her horror!!) I think the main problem is that she can't clean herself bless her :( I've just taken the cone off to let her eat and have a clean as I've noticed she keeps scooting on her bum today to try and clean it  :scared: She kept licking at the stitches though so I've put the cone back on so she still didn't get to clean her bum and is still scooting - I've had a look at it and it looks fairly clean to me  :scared:

Offline Chris_Gilbert80

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Thomas
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 16:28:56 PM »
I hope everything goes well. Be sure to spoil her when she get's back. Best of luck!!! Perhaps treat her to something nice, like some cat food or perhaps a toy!!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 15:59:02 PM by Chris_Gilbert80 »

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 16:16:39 PM »

It inflates like a kiddies waterwing

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: sorry to laugh Shiela, but those pooches do look like they are going for a dip in the pool!

On a serious note, they do look a lot more comfy than a cone.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 16:01:47 PM »
See if you can get one of these sent express - my cats prefer it to the e-cone as they can eat and drink normally but can't get to most of their "bits".

http://www.comfycollars.co.uk/

http://www.procollars.co.uk/

It inflates like a kiddies waterwing but is attached to a normal collar so won't slip off. Turn it so the fastener is on top of the neck she won't be able to nod her head down to pick her stitches.

They can also hear whats coming up behind them (this is what freaks most animals out about the e-collar because it distorts and echoes sounds and confuses their senses).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 16:07:17 PM by sheilarose »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 18:27:03 PM »
australian vets seem to prefer midline in my experience - hope she settles down soon it is very stressful to see them like that

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 17:54:40 PM »
I know - I was really surprised as I had a cat years ago that had her wound underneath but I didn't think they did it like that anymore? It's just made me a bit anxious as it's not what I was expecting to see and I think it's harder to keep an eye on underneath as you can't really see it aswell  :scared: I guess maybe different vets have different ways of doing things and techniques that they prefer?

They've also said the buster collar needs to be worn at all times for the next 10 days which I think seems really excessive :( I know with Jas I used to take it off to let her eat/drink/clean herself at least. As the wound is underneath it'll also be harder to tell if she's licking the wound or cleaning her bits  :scared:

Am feeling quite stressed out at the mo I have to say but hope I'm just over worrying  :scared:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 17:34:09 PM »
Hope she settles soon  :hug: :hug:

Think that is a midline spay and unusual unless a pedigree with special markings.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 16:36:47 PM »
Oh bless her... I'm sure she will settle down now she is home. Hope all continues to go well.

Jo.Austin, your tale of Rosie reminds me of Uncle M, our previous boy. He cut his paw rather badly and like Rosie, managed to remove his stitches within an hour of him coming home from the vet despite his collar. The vet re-did the stitches and Uncle M promptly repeated the performance!

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 16:33:09 PM »
Well we're home and Meg has a cone on her head  :o I'm slightly surprised as the wound is underneath - I've only ever had a spay when the cat has had a shaved patch on their side so it's not what I was expecting   :scared:

They'd not put the buster collar on properly at the vets so by the time we got home she had it hanging around her in the carrier and I've spent about 10 mins grovelling on the floor trying to put it back on her when she was thrashing about.

She's freaked out by the cone at the moment so am trying to distract her with toys and but she seems quite lively which is good  :)

I've got her in the spare room but hopefully when things are settled a bit more are intro her with Jas tonight :) She's got some special light food the vet has sent her home with and post op check appointment is Friday  :)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 15:01:10 PM »
Its all for the best, am sure she will be fine - but might not speak to you for a bit after!  >:(

Have plenty of dreamies at hand to coax yourself back into her good books  :Luv2:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 13:30:12 PM »
Hope it goes well today for Meg.

I'll never forget years ago my Rosie (now departed sadly at 18 years old) the day after her spaying, managed to chew her stitches out, even with the collar on, and spat them out on my mum's bed.  Lovely. 

No harm was done surprisingly, it is amazing how qucikly they heal up.

Jo

XX

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 16:21:02 PM »
If you get them to do internal stitches and glue the wound usually about an extra £5.00 but no head trumpet required so worth it and good luck for tomorrow
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 15:58:59 PM »
I'm sure she'll be just fine  :) :hug: She will however require a special treat of gently poached chicken breast to make up for having to starve her before the op  :naughty:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 14:53:46 PM »
Hope it all goesw well  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 14:53:10 PM »
she will be fine - I didn't bother with the cone myself it seemed more trouble, although do have to keep an eye on them nibbling at stitches

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
Meg kitten is off for her spay op tomorrow........
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 14:37:11 PM »
Well the time has arrived and Meg kitten is around about 6 months now so she's off for her spay op tomorrow :) Fingers crossed all goes smoothly but I'm dreading getting her home with a cone on her head and trying to manage her and Jasmine together!!

She's quite nervous of strangers bless her so I think she's going to be totally freaked out at the vets but I keep telling myself she'll thank me for it when she no longer has to worry about having babies and can start to venture into the outside world  :)

Link to CatChat