Author Topic: Alfie died to today  (Read 8619 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Alfie died to today
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
Sorry Leigh  :( - he was a special boy  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline ronandcats

• Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2012, 10:06:12 AM »
 so sorry  :RIP: Little feller

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2012, 09:51:36 AM »
Thank you both very much,

The real revelation has been Frankie. He has always been a bit of a nervous character but he's really come out of his shell big time this week. I guess that he must be missing Alfie but he's just got VERY affectionate and less "twitchy". It's as if he knows that he's "numero uno honcho" now and he's really enjoying it. alfie used to chase him about quite a bit and was definitely "Top Cat" but now Frankie has stepped into his shoes so as to speak and his purr has increased in volume considerably :).

Best wishes  :Luv2: :hug:

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2012, 20:57:44 PM »
so very sorry to hear about alfie :hug:
A beautiful lad who did so much to raise awareness

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2012, 20:21:30 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about Alfie.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2012, 19:33:00 PM »
Hi and thank you all for your lovely comments.

I just learned from Liz, the lady that fostered Alfie that Croydon Animal Samaritans, the charity from whom I adopted Aflie, would like to do a story on him for the front page of their spring newsletter. It's another great opportunity to spread the word about FIV cats and a fitting epitaph for our dearest Alfie.

She also sent me the picture of Alfie that I saw and fell in love with six years ago on their website, which melted my heart that April evening.

:Luv2: :hug: Leigh

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2012, 21:49:57 PM »
Am very sorry to hear this Leigh, Alfie had such a happy life with you, and I hope your happy memories help to ease the pain a little.

RIP Alfie, Purrs' own international purring rock star :'(

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2012, 21:23:28 PM »
From me and my little FIVer Chubby, and my 7 negs, although my heart is breaking for you, Leigh,  I'm so happy Alfie had his borrowed years with you, and I wish Alfie all the joy at Rainbow Bridge.

I hope everyone sees now that these fab little guys offer so much love to be shared, and no matter how much it hurts now, Alfie was clearly one of the happiest cats alive.

RIP, little Guy, you'll always be a Purr in our Hearts  :hug:

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2012, 20:23:35 PM »
Leigh, I've seen my cats checking their wrist watches  :rofl: :rofl:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2012, 13:48:04 PM »
All our fur-babes are special to us of course, none less than others, but now and again one comes across a "special relationship". I's very hard to put into words because the relationship just "exists", it's a sort of telepathy, who knows.

I love your stories of Lily, don't they have some funny tastes in food?! :), Alfie used to like cheese and onion crisps and he could hear a crisp packet opening at 10 yards despite how quietly I tried to open them, he'd be at my feet in a split second :). On the whole he was a pretty regular sort of cat in terms of his food prefences but Frankie on the other hand is a feline-hoover, he loves all the real things like turkey, chicken, beef, ham, pork, lamb etc.. when he gets the chance. How the heck he can detect a frozen chicken being taken from the freezer I simply will never know :).

Alfie had a body clock that was more accurate that a Swiss watch when it came to waking me, the times I've looked a the clock and it was within seconds of the same time!, how the heck do they do this?, he could even adjust for daylight saving time! :). I swear that he could read the time on one of our clocks or maybe he had his own little furry wrist watch hidden somewhere :).

:hug: :Luv2: Leigh
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 14:56:10 PM by LeighK »

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2012, 13:32:11 PM »
Oh my Lily definitely knew she was mummy's special little girl. Spoilt doesn't even cover it  ;) I always said if she was human she would be one of these women that could eat whatever they wanted and never get fat  :evillaugh: She loved all the things that she shouldn't; butter, cheese, ice cream etc. And when I was cooking roast chicken she'd spend the whole time wandering in and out of the kitchen yelling at me until it was cooked and she got her share.  :evillaugh: One evening I found out to my cost that she also liked honey on toast  :-: I was eating some and she came on to my lap and pulled a slice of toast straight off the plate. From that moment on everytime I had honey on toast I had to share it with her  :rofl:

At night when she slept round my head she would knead the top of my head, with her claws out, if you please! But I discovered that if I held her paw and stroked it she would find it soothing and go off to sleep, so would both drop off 'holding hands'. After she got run over going to bed was the hardest thing because every moment I kept expecting her to jump up on the pillow and start digging her claws into my head  :(

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2012, 13:21:48 PM »
Hi Allison,

That's a lovely story about you and Lily and a horrendous story about the vet!. I think that animals who have suffered from illness or other such mishaps really can develop a very strong bonding. Alfie sometimes used to sleep behind my head too. It is as if they know that they are in some way "special" and they really do respond big-time to loving.

Alfie used to lick my arms and hands, maybe he was simply after the salt or maybe it was his way of keeping me all spick and span and he had a head-but that could break your jaw as well as rubbing his chin and nose on mine and he also used to love "grooming" my beard gently with his teeth, I guess I was a big cat to him. He used to wake me in the night by gently "biffing" me in the face with his paws, claws in and if that didn't get the desired result he would lick my ear or nibble my beard but he was always so gentle.

:hug: :Luv2: Leigh
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 13:25:34 PM by LeighK »

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2012, 13:06:11 PM »
Hi Allison,

I think those words best describe how Alfie and I bonded together. He was a little cat when I got him, his nick name at the fosterers was "Little Al" and that of course became Alfie which in itself summed up his mischeivous, cheeky, full-on character. All my cats have had a name ending in the "e" sound it's a sort of tradition, Suzie, Oli, Frankie, Alfie etc.. I read somewhere that cats respond to their names better with the "e" sound, not sure if that's true or not but it became a sort of habit.

Thanks for your kind words.

Leigh  :Luv2: :hug:
Hi Leigh,
My last three cats have had names ending in the 'e' sound - Lily, who I sadly lost nearly two years ago, Toby and Molly. I'm not sure that Molly responds any better because she has the 'e' sound at the end of her name because she's a law unto herself.  :evillaugh:

I understand what you're saying about bonding with a cat though. My Lily was something very special  :Luv: A long story but when I took her to be spayed at 6 months old the vet that did the operation made a horrendous error and cut the tube from her bladder to her kidney. He actually tried to hide his mistake and sent Lily home without a word. It was only when she was getting increasing sicker the next day I rushed her back to the vets. She ended up having to have her kidney removed and then followed 6 months of weekly visits to the vets to get her well again. That in itself increased our bond but also right from when I had her from a tiny kitten at 12 weeks old she slept round my head at night. She really was just like a baby. Because of her having such a bad time between the age of 6mths to 12mths old she never grew very big which was one of the reasons your words in that photo hit me like a ton of bricks. She was a tiny cat but had such a huge impact on my life. I know others on here will understand when I say it was like losing a child.  I still miss her. :'( :'(

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
Hi Stuart,

I hope you're well mate.

Best

Leigh

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »
 :(

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 12:17:26 PM »
Hi Allison,

I think those words best describe how Alfie and I bonded together. He was a little cat when I got him, his nick name at the fosterers was "Little Al" and that of course became Alfie which in itself summed up his mischeivous, cheeky, full-on character. All my cats have had a name ending in the "e" sound it's a sort of tradition, Suzie, Oli, Frankie, Alfie etc.. I read somewhere that cats respond to their names better with the "e" sound, not sure if that's true or not but it became a sort of habit.

Thanks for your kind words.

Leigh  :Luv2: :hug:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:30:16 PM by LeighK »

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »
Leigh, the words on the last photo you posted of Alfie has me in bits  :'( :'( How very true it is  :hug: :hug:

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »
Thank you all,

Hi Ann, yes we had lots of fun and we raised some money for charity too with the T.shirts.

Without the kindness, dedication and support of Croydon Animal Samaritans Alfie wouldn’t have stood much of a chance in life. His foster mother at the charity has become a very close friend and we regularly communicate, she's so very fond of Alfie from their time together.
To see the way that he responded to having his own home and loving kindness was truly inspirational. For every pennies-worth of love that he received from us he paid back a pound in loving affection. It is as if life for him started at the age of two after such a dreadful start in life he got what every cat deserves a stable and loving home-life and he responded so brilliantly. I've never known a cat like him, and I've had cats all my life, he was such a personality. I had many very loving and affectionate cats over the years but Alfie was just so intelligent, I know that one can read all sort of things into a relationship but Alfie really did know how to communicate with me at a level it is hard to put into words, he knew when I was happy, he knew when I was down, above all he thrived on my "presence" and interacting with me, we formed such a strong and natural bond, he trusted and loved me 110%. Alfie's passing hurts in a way that all us who have lost loved ones know well. But, because of all of my happy memories, this time it is a different sort of hurt, a "happy" hurt if that makes any sense at all. A pain that is tempered by so many happy memories.

Love xx

Leigh, Val 'n Frankie
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:29:13 AM by LeighK »

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 22:57:21 PM »
Oh Leigh I am so sorry to hear about Alfie, he was such a special boy and so much loved. I remember all the giggles we had with the brilliant videos and I still have my t shirt too.

Wonderful photos and memories of a wonderful cat.

Enjoy yourself at the Bridge Alfie, our babes will show you the ropes.

Sending love and hugs to you and Val xx

Offline Shiroi-Neko

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ai-Chan & Tora
Alfie died to today
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 15:07:43 PM »
I am sorry to hear of your sad news.
(Hugs)

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 09:02:20 AM »
Hi,

Thank you all so very much for your kindness. I'm pleased that you have still got the T. Sue, happy days :). Hi Sylvia, i'm so pleased (and so would Alfie of been) that Claire and I were able to help you with Tatty. I know that I must have said it a thousand times but FIV cats deserve every chance of a loving life as much as any other cat and Claire's Max, my Alfie and Frankie and many more here on Purrs help to prove this beyond doubt. As I've always had cats I think that I can easily say that there's been absolutely no difference between FIV and non-FIV when it comes down to our relationships, loving is loving and that's plain and simple. Frankie's fine at the moment, what made it work between the two of them was that they were totally different personalities. Alfie was the "bright spark", the inqusitive and pushy one and Frankie, the laid back (read lazy), more chilled cat, in his element sleeping and eating. Alfie was Frankie's "nemesis" and chased him around etc.. I do feel that had we lost Frankie first then Alfie would have missed him so. 

I was looking back through all my photos of the boys last night, thank heavens for digital cameras, I have literally hundreds. I thought to myself "how many pictures can you take of loved-ones?" and the simply answer is "never enough". They are a great comfort and pleasure, Alfie with his nose stuck in one of my training shoes, Alfie rolling all over my sticky rug underlay and covering it in cat hair, Alfie stuck on top of the shelf sitting in a laundry basket, the little fella chewing clothes pegs etc., so many happy memories came flooding back.

Thank you all again, your comments have greatly eased our sorrow in Alfie's passing.

:hug:  :Luv2: Leigh, Val and Frankie

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:11:27 AM by LeighK »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 07:02:42 AM »

I love the photo album Leigh.  The one where he has his head on the cooker ring had my heart in my mouth.  And waiting by the phone all night........    :Luv2:

You're so right about that:  they show us what it is to be loved.   :hug: :hug:

(I've still got me T shirt  ;) )

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 01:18:43 AM »
So sorry to hear your sad news  :hug:  :hug:
Such a wonderful story of a cat that many give up on and he was such a handsome furrbaby xx

Thinking of you  :hug:

Goodnight, God Bless Alfie xx
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 00:18:17 AM »
So sorry to hear about the handsome Alfie , what a cat !
Thank goodness you found each other and he was so loved.

:candle: RIP Alfie

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Thomas, Suki, Sweep, Tatty & Tabs
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 22:51:03 PM »
I'm so very, very sorry  :( Alfie was a wonderful boy.

I remember when I joined Purrs that it was hearing about Alfie and Clare's Max in addition to everyone else's support that encouraged me with Tatty when I needed it most.

:hug: :hug: :hug: for you, Val and Frankie

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 21:49:13 PM »
I am so sorry to hear of you loss :(
He was truly adorable and the life you shared was so full of love he had all that any cat could wish for during his time with you. I wish it had been longer.
Play well at the bridge Alfie x
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 20:56:37 PM »
Hi Leigh. I'm really sorry to hear about your gorgeous boy.  :hug:   :hug:   :hug: 
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 20:34:44 PM »
Hiya,

Thank you all for your kind words, I have so many happy memories.

A few of my favourite Alfie pics

:hug: xx Leigh

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 19:50:36 PM »
So so sorry Leigh - I was only thinking about you the other day and wondering how you all are

RIP Alfie - play hard at the Bridge sweetie until your Daddy comes to collect you xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 19:49:50 PM »
Hello Leigh and   :welcalfieome:  back

So sorry to hear about Alfie - I know te pain believe me

:RIP: :candle:    :RIP: :candle:   
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 19:08:30 PM »
sorry to hear about Alfie x
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 18:35:30 PM »
http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/openTheBox?sendevent=4d7a51324e7a41304e513d3d0d0a&campaign=blog_playback_link

Thank you all for you kindness.

xx Leigh  :hug:

And one last thing, Alfie's radiance guided me through some of the darkest moments in my life, places where I never want to go again, his most important legacy is that he showed me how to love and be loved again.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 18:48:43 PM by LeighK »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 18:27:45 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear about Alfie  :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 17:45:01 PM »
Hi Leigh  :welcome: back,

I'm so so sorry to hear the sad news about Alfie ... I know what a special furbabe he was and as such he will always have a place in your heart.

My heart goes out to you and and Val at this difficult time.

RIP Alfie ... play hard at the bridge little man  :hug:

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 17:32:18 PM »
Very sorry to welcome you back under such sad circumstances Leigh  :(  :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP Alfie, safe and sound at the Bridge by now xx

Remember Our Love

I was chosen that day
I'm learning to fly
the world took me away,
but please don't you cry

And I chose you today
to try and be strong
so please don't you cry
and don't say that I'm gone

When you're feeling alone
just remember our love,
I'm up near the stars
looking down from above.

Remember our love
In a moment you'll see
that I'm still here beside you
when you're thinking of me.

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 17:07:17 PM »
so sorry to hear your news but glad he had the chance of a happy life with you,as so many are afraid to home cats with ilnesses, he sounds a very brave soul indeed :hug:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 16:28:42 PM »
Hi mate,

Every time I loose a cat it makes me think to myself can I stand the hurt again?, but I thinks it is wrong to think that way, years of happy treasured memories more than outway moments of hurt such as this and I have so many happy memories.

Hugs to Misty,

Best

Leigh

Offline peejay1977

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Misty
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 16:25:06 PM »
The thought of losing our Misty makes my stomach turn, big hugs :(

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 14:49:09 PM »
Hi Gillian :) so nice to hear from you, yes, the circumstances could be better but I'm sure that Alfie would love to know that I'm back amongst friends.

I think I got my Gillians mixed up earlier, you are the Gillian that so kindly did that lovely portait of my Suzie aren't you. I often look at it and it brings back so many happy memories. I'm thinking that I'd really love one of Alfie to hang next to it  ;) :)
The charity is very kindly re-imbursing me for my recent heavy vet bills so I'll have a bit of cash back in the near future and I think that I'd really love to honour him with his own painting, I have thousands of photos to choose from.

:hug: Leigh xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 14:39:48 PM »
Hello stranger  :) - so sorry to see you hear under these circumstances though :(  :hug:  :hug: RIP Alfie

ps. was looking at a pic of the portrait I did of your Suzie RIP, the other day - she was so like my tabby George (lost him last year sadly  :( )
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 14:54:32 PM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Link to CatChat