Author Topic: Cats and Earthquakes  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
Re: Cats and Earthquakes
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 00:25:17 AM »
Thank you for that interesting information  My friend from New Zealand is coming over in April so I am hoping fo a detailed account and some pics of the Clever Cat from Christchurch

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 16:08:41 PM »
I got 'the cat whisperer' book for christmas and it says scientists in america study 10,000 animals with the aid of their observers. If they notice them acting peculiar they ring a hotline to earthquake scientists.
They did this in china and in 1975 they evacuated haicheng 24 hours before a massive earthquake devastated the area!
They think it might be due to electric charges in the atmosphere causing changes in the brain, or the sensitivity of cats feet and whiskers to vibrations. They say an earthquake or storm to a cat may be as obvious to a cat as an air raid siren is to us.
It also says in world war II cats would become agitated before sirens went off - very interesting! Hope you and oscar had a nice christmas x
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 03:38:03 AM »
Thats really interesting Peggy and hope that your friend and her cat stay safe  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 01:42:29 AM »
Hope your friends cousin hasn't been too badly affected by the earthquakes  :hug:

I read a similar article about animals fleeing before a tsunami, wasn't this one but something similar http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/01/0104_050104_tsunami_animals_2.html

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
Cats and Earthquakes
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 01:25:12 AM »
I have a friend whose cousin lives in Christchurch, New Zealand     You have probably heard on the news that the district has suffered a series of very severe earthquakes
The cousin says that  just before the quake strikes her cat goes missing and doesn't return for about 2 days when it is all over.   This is not in character as she is a really homeloving cat.  They live in the suburbs of Christchurch where there are big gardens and open spaces.  She has now found that other cats in the neighbourhood are doing the same thing and a legend has started that they all go together!
The quake last week happened at night so noone saw the cats go but all are now safely home
Isn't it wonderful that cats can predict earthquakes when scientists can't?

Link to CatChat