Author Topic: Uninvited feline visitor  (Read 4833 times)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Re: Uninvited feline visitor
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2012, 03:18:40 AM »
thats the problem i have about getting cat flaps Emmy_lou - Patio....(and my front door is actually metal)  >:( >:( >:(

You can get ones that do fit in patio doors and any reputable glazier can fit these  ;D
Only reason we decided not to, was because our house is a new build and currently has a 10year guarantee on the whole build. The Project Manager said that the cat flap would void our guarantee from them for the whole of the windows and if i put one in the wall the same would go for the whole building  :doh: :doh:

and i sooo miss the cat flap....darn it :'(
lol
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 20:49:34 PM »
Have you considered a microchip catflap? I love ours - a bit pricey at £90 (eek) but worth it to know only MY cats get in.

Of course if OH really, really wants another cat then, well....  :sneaky:

Only good if you dont have a cat Misas size cos he is too big for them when he was 6kgs and now he is 7.6 kgs  (i am sure the vet weighed him wrong!) , suspect Sasa is too big as well cos she was 6 kgs too but looks slightly slimmer at moment.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 15:48:04 PM »
OH lets him in then tells him - quick she's coming - hide in the litter tray!  :-:  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 15:32:39 PM »
I dont know, he is looked after - they do seem to hang out together. I have since found out he was left behind when his owners moved  :'( So it was the next door neighbour who has taken him in.

A catflap not an option at the min - we dont have a back door! only patio doors at the back, so not til they get replaced, I dont really want one at the front?!

I NEVER let him in now, but OH not working and am sure he lets him in all the time  >:( >:(

So strange to find him in the tray tho - you could see the imprint where he had been sleeping!  :shocked:

Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 15:27:05 PM »
Have you considered a microchip catflap? I love ours - a bit pricey at £90 (eek) but worth it to know only MY cats get in.

Of course if OH really, really wants another cat then, well....  :sneaky:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 15:08:35 PM »
sounds like this cat has found a home..... :evillaugh:

whether he should take residence in the litter tray is another matter  :sick:

could be that he is just getting shelter at your house? its a difficult one.....hes clearly well looked after but perhaps its either a shelter thing or just seeking the company of your furrbabies?
I saw my 2yr old on the window sill of another house (outside thank god) but they have 2 young cats that i know mine plays with and "hangs out" - so he calls for them lol

i think continuing to discourage it is the only thing you can do - its not really working but its better than encouraging him and him getting too comfy......the cheek of these felines  :rofl: :rofl:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 11:47:57 AM »
Just a little update on this, our visitor still comes in when he has the opportunity  >:( >:(

The other day tho we'd been sleeping with the bedroom window open, and when the OH got up he had found him sleeping in the (covered) litter tray  :sick:

Our two rarely use it but still  :sick:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 01:39:56 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012, 20:12:46 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2012, 09:21:59 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Maybe time for a change of tactic???  :naughty:

He does deserve it at other times as well !!!!  :naughty:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 02:22:38 AM »
Just a little update - the OH is STILL letting the other cat in, however whenever I see him hovering at the window I have been giving him a splash of water (how bad do I feel...  :-[ )

Nearly choked on my tea - thought you were squirting OH for a minute there  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hang on a sec, though - there's a nugget of an idea forming  :sneaky:

It would probably be more effective  :naughty:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 19:27:13 PM »
Just a little update - the OH is STILL letting the other cat in, however whenever I see him hovering at the window I have been giving him a splash of water (how bad do I feel...  :-[ )

Nearly choked on my tea - thought you were squirting OH for a minute there  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hang on a sec, though - there's a nugget of an idea forming  :sneaky:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 12:57:56 PM »

Now the OH is confused why he runs off when the window is opened  :evillaugh: but then he just comes to the back door instead.....

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 13:22:37 PM »
awww shiela, i really hope she can come to live with you, shes such a sweetie :Luv2:
fingers crossed..she deserves a proper home at last x

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »
Poor little thing  :'(
Hopefully they are just busy - fingers crossed for you!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 12:28:13 PM »
Not sure - she was picked up as a stray, CH says she's very old so I suppose 15 years+. She was caked in flea dirt and she's had dire-rear since she came in, but has picked up enough now to be re-homed/fostered.

You never quite know what you're getting in these cases but her bloods came back -ve for anything nasty, just a matter of making her comfortable, getting her diet right, and see where we go from there.

Getting a bit nervous now - still heard nothing from the home-checker so hoping I've not been ruled out on the basis of too many cats already  :doh: (I was honest in my application, so they know what our place has to offer, including our seven furry rascals).

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 12:13:09 PM »
Oh - I saw your post on the a team, how old is she? I thought she was only a baby when I first saw the photo!  :Luv2:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 12:06:09 PM »
I'm waiting to see if Celia Hammond will let me take this little one

http://www.catchat.org/chat/cgibin/prview.cgi?id=2011120901

OH was not keen at first but he's had a couple of days to mull over the idea, and I've been extra nice  :naughty: plus

"she's only tiny, and she's very old, so she'll be asleep most of the time - you'll hardly notice she's here..."  :sneaky: :shify:

Home check to be completed first, and I think they're a bit busy right now - still waiting.....

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 02:07:20 AM »
 :shify: sometimes its for the best  :shify:

i like kittensmittens donation idea....bit of clear out, shame to bin it, oh the rescue might need it, oh look we have a cat....jobs a good un  :evillaugh:  :evillaugh:

:rofl:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 17:27:37 PM »
Thanks for the tip! Might try that in the future  :sneaky:

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 13:12:08 PM »
slyness is the key :sneaky:..you find some old blankets, papers etc you think the recue may need and ask him to take you across :evillaugh:, then once you are there its a shame not to look :innocent:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 23:45:23 PM »
you need to use this classic off the cuff line of "we can just have a look".....

My OH who adamently stated he didnt want a cat *pulls face* only doing it for me*pulls stranger face* all blah blah.... had reserved a cat at the rescue before we even finished looking!!
 :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

The power of suggestion works everytime. Plant the seed and let the growing idea be his. We can live guilt free  :rofl:  :rofl:  :evillaugh:  :evillaugh:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 22:36:18 PM »
Shiela I keep looking at local rescue sites (not that many local) but he is usually the sensible one and says to wait til ours are a bit older... He's probably right  :-[

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 22:29:45 PM »
Ps she said he was a rescue cat so maybe he's a bit of an opportunist?!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 22:26:59 PM »
Bless. Now at least you know he's safe.   :)

Old fairy bottle with just a hint of vinegar tends to be favourite.

And poor OH. I wonder, is he gettingbroody for a Purrs Rescue cat, maybe ??  :evillaugh: :shify: :sneaky:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 22:24:17 PM »
Well I got the paper collar on (quite easily!) and got a phone call tonight, and he has a home chipped and looked after, so might try the water pistol when the OH not around  :thanks:

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 22:06:43 PM »
I had a cat a few months ago who adopted me , she fed like she was starving, looked all dirty , out in all weathers) and skinny etc so i popped her in a basket and took her to vets, she had a microchip and lives near by apparently :-[ I still see her now and again, sat in the rain staring into space but cant really steal her away from someone who says she belongs to them, i know some cats do prefer to be out than in but she is rather tragic looking :(
vets will scan the cat for free if you fancy getting it done? at least you may find out if it is stray or not, we do have some more cats who come hunting through the bins, some are huge :Crazy: they dont seem interested in moving in though :shy:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 22:01:33 PM »
Cats will always take advantage ... and I wouldn't blame your OH.  If this boy was 100% happy in his home and had his slaves trained he wouldn't need to hang out at your house.  The paper collar is the best first step.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 19:42:12 PM »
If the paper collar doesn't promote a response from his owner you will want to pop him down the vet to see if he's chipped - he may in fact be reported lost? If he is chipped and not reported missing, and the owner is in your area (vet won't give you details of his true owner, data protection I believe) you might want to start positive deterrant action (squirty water bottle whenever he arrives).

I've taken three strays in, all of which were clearly street cats, unchipped, un-neutered and very much worse for wear, so I think maybe your visitor is a lonely pet cat with access issues at home (no cat flap, likes to be outdoors when Mum goes to work). His Mum probably hasn't the first idea he's playing away from home.

To test him, take up your resident cat's food whilst you're not in attendance so Visitor never gets to eat at yours, and you'll soon see the reason for his constant attendance. If he's in for the cuddles and warmth, and he's not chipped, then it is quite possible he's looking for a new home, but still being fed by his real Mum.

If he's obviously hungry, pop a permanent safety collar on him with a tag containing your phone number and resume feeding. Post flyers in local shops, libraries and vets and register him on National Pet Registers "Found" listing with a photo. There is a legal requirement to take reasonable steps to locate a stray cat's owner. Advertise any found, unregistered (tattooed/chipped) cat for a minimum period, I think it's seven days in England, before you can claim ownership.
The real owner should be determined to contact you if she feels he is about to disappear from her life forever.

One of my fosters is finding our home a challenge, he was a long term city stray who had no qualms about testing out various homes for himself (which was how he ended up in rescue, after one of his temp Mummys discovered him in her house with a broken leg) but despite being neutered, chipped and fostered to me 3 years ago, Theo is still actively seeking a new home in the area, behaving very much the way your visitor is doing, as basically Theo would prefer to be an Only cat.  :doh:

Even though he's chipped (and we have a microchip controlled catflap) I frequently put an ID collar on Theo when I suspect he has a new victim Mummy (his lack of appetite and rare appearance is the giveaway), and from this I've discovered he has been almost adopted twice (by concerned folk who explain they thought he'd been abandoned and believed me to be a bad Mummy  :o - eek) and has been taken to the vet more often than this (he still has the limp from his old injuries and plays this up for attention outside the school gates - he really is very convincing).

My vet says there's almost nothing I can do, (other than keep him as an indoor cat and if you met Theo you'd understand this is quite against nature for him) Theo is hard headed and stubborn, currently residing in my outdoor kennel but within earshot of the fridge door.
One day he will worm his way into someone's heart and home (he is magnificent and very friendly when it suits him) and I may never see him again.  :Sad Bye:
Sadly this will mean he won't get his pain meds (he feels the cold in that leg and if he knocks it, his limp worsens) and the insurance I have for him will not be in place for the next time his delicately repaired cruciate ligament gives way, he ends up at a new vet and that leg has to come off. When I explain his physicality to these good folk who he woos so easily, that he really is a huge commitment, which will only get bigger as the years go on. They're off like a shot and he's suddenly my lovely boy again.  :sigh:

http://www.catchat.org/lost.html#found

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 15:12:36 PM »
Aaw gill  :'(
I know funkie chicken - I would hate it if I thought someone was trying to encourage my 2 to stay at their house  >:(
Rosella I think the problem is partly we dont have a cat flap either, we leave the window in the morning to let ours out and he comes in, he might be taking the mickey... I try not to let him have any food, but he often just sneaks upstairs for a snooze!
I think cos the OH is not working at the min and I've been off for the hols I've realised how much he's coming round...

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 14:36:27 PM »
Personally I would be mortified if my cats adopted another ...... but to leave me and move home??  :hairrasin:

Exactly that happened to us in 1990  :-[ :-[ :-[  Tom (aged 4 weeks) came with his mum and within 3 months, she moved in with the gingers 2 doors away.  We're OK slaves too .... honest  :shy:

ETA  Paper collar an excellent idea Emmy Lou.  From your description, he is trying it on or maybe doesn't have a cat flap?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 14:38:33 PM by Rosella moggy »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 14:03:25 PM »
Have to say this is how I ended up with Kocka my first cat, I hated cats  :innocent: but she decided I was going to be her slave and she just moved in.

A few years later a beautifil very pale ginger  also moved in but had to let CP take him as Kocka was attacking him and making his ears bleed and he would just sit there and let her. It broke my heart letting him go and tried to get him back but he went straight to a new home who had been waiting for a ginger for a long time.

Over the years in London a number of cats tried and all I want now is Sasa to move back in properly cos no one round here wants her except me.

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 13:07:16 PM »
oh dear!!  :rofl:

My friend has her neighbours cat come in and despite being shooo'd out etc, slowly but surely "Darren" (i know  :rofl: ) has just moved in altogether, with her waking up on the morning with "Darren" on her face  :rofl:  :rofl:

She has informed his owners and stated that she is will lock him out - but it appears that they are not bothered and dont even look for him  :( so it appears ownership is to be passed over. It has gotten to the point that she is tired of trying to shoo "Darren" (real name unknown) home and that she is going to ask his owners whether they want him or not.

Personally I would be mortified if my cats adopted another (although I know Tazi used to get fed tidbits by neighbours) but to leave me and move home??  :hairrasin:

But it looks like the fella has chosen you!! and some pics of his brazen cheek would be great  :rofl:  :rofl:

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 12:38:11 PM »
Thankyou jack and gill  :doh:
Very good idea with the paper collar - will do that next time he visits  :thanks:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 09:34:11 AM »
...Choose a name?  :sneaky: :evillaugh:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Uninvited feline visitor
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 23:59:25 PM »
You could make a paper collar for him asking for the owner to contact you - at least that way you can find out if he has an owner and if so be stricter about your OH letting him in. If he doesn't have a home he might be lost so you could try and trace his owners.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 19:43:53 PM »
No LOL, give him a stroke from me  ;D ;D

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
Uninvited feline visitor
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 16:34:42 PM »
We have a gorgeous tabby that comes in our house whenever he gets the chance. I dont know if he has a home, but he looks well fed. I dont try to encourage him, but the OH cant resist!
No matter how much I explain he might have a loving home, might have disease/ fleas he ALWAYS lets him in  >:(
I must say he doesn't cause any unsettlement with our 2 and he is pretty persistant - even climbing up to our bedroom window a couple of times wanting in! But then sometimes he wont be seen for a few days. He is currently in the bed we moved to the top of the stairs that ours dont use. Any advice?

Link to CatChat