Author Topic: Anybody a Maine Coon Slave?  (Read 2827 times)

Offline woowoo

• Senior Cat
    • Four paws pet rescue Cumbria South
  • Slave to: Basil,Fred,Molly,Trevor,Pepe,Mabel, Odin(RIP) and the four dogs.
Re: Anybody a Maine Coon Slave?
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 19:35:40 PM »
 :Luv:No but I would sooooo love to be! :Luv2:

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 16:32:36 PM »
I am slave to Billy my Maine Coon  :Luv:  :Luv:  Out of all my cats, he is my baby, he doesn't really bother with the other cats although he isn't naughty or anything, he just looks at them as if they were something he walked in, and he looks at me the same  :evillaugh:  He is a total character and he really does rate himself as number one, they are a fab breed and full of character and I love him to bits.  They are a very intelligent breed and you would swear he understood every word you say to him, as a breed, they are one of the best and my Billy is soooooo handsome  :Luv:  :Luv:  :Luv:

I don't remember seeing Billy before. He is very pretty indeed! & I agree with all of the above.. apart from Leo is the acception & is very naughty!!!  :evillaugh:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 19:07:48 PM »
Thanks for that, Mr Main Coon Oscar is letting me tackle them and snip away the ones that are too tough-  they are a pit pongy too!!  :briggin: But Mr radgoll Edgar is having none of it so that wee trimmer could be very handy!!

:thanks:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 16:10:14 PM »
Any tips for the best way to taggle matts? There is a few small ones at his rear end that look like they have been there a while as they are a bit dirty. I did try and comb them but he was getting growly and ended up having to cut a couple of them. Whats the best thing to use?

Sorry for all the questions but my last long haired cat we managed to keep matt free (between his grooming and my brushing lol) so unsure how to tackle these with least amount of pain!

If they are only small ones and he doesnt like you trying to comb them out, try this little battery trimmer http://www.swellpets.co.uk/dog/dog-grooming-care-832/scissors-clippers-840/wahl-pocket-pro-trimmer-blue-battery-opperated--27594.html - its really for trimming dogs faces etc but its great for little knots and tangles.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 15:52:25 PM »
I've just groomed a Maine Coon! - well, when I say groom, more removing the vast amounts of mats LOL! This was her first visiit to me and I must say she was very patient (right till the very end, when she decided enough was enough!) - She's gonna need another session though and she aint gonna have much coat left by the end of it!  :shocked:

Any tips for the best way to taggle matts? There is a few small ones at his rear end that look like they have been there a while as they are a bit dirty. I did try and comb them but he was getting growly and ended up having to cut a couple of them. Whats the best thing to use?

Sorry for all the questions but my last long haired cat we managed to keep matt free (between his grooming and my brushing lol) so unsure how to tackle these with least amount of pain!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 15:47:34 PM »
I've just groomed a Maine Coon! - well, when I say groom, more removing the vast amounts of mats LOL! This was her first visiit to me and I must say she was very patient (right till the very end, when she decided enough was enough!) - She's gonna need another session though and she aint gonna have much coat left by the end of it!  :shocked:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 14:59:20 PM »
Well my maine coon boy is here and he is just gorgeous!! Have never really saw a Maine Coon up close before and how handsome they are - I am chuffed to bits to have him here and can certainly see why people love them - he is so gentle!  :Luv2:

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline tasha

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 14:31:50 PM »
I am owned by Max my blue and high white Maine Coon boy.  When he first came, my oldest (Willow) did not like him but gradually they have getting used to each other.  He is qite close to Tasha and Maddie who are more his aae though (They are 3 and Willow is nearly 10).

He is at the vets at the moment having an x-ray to see if he has any blockages in his bladder.  Has been having treatment for cysititis but blood is still showing in his urine.  Will be phoning shortly to see how he is.

Needless, to say he was NOT impressed that I didn't put any of his biscuits out.  He likes to wake me up in the morning when he thinks it is breakfast time by sitting on the bedside cabinet, crying at me and then throwing anything in his way on the floor. ;D

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 00:19:37 AM »
I hope to be one soon - I am the new meowmy to a senior Maine Coon and Senior Ragdoll (both aged 11) who I found through UKRCC. I kow quite a bit about Ragdolls but not as much about Maine Coons - so looking forward to meeting my man Oscar!!

I collect them on Sunday  :Luv2:

Lots of pedigrees come up in rescue if you look about - my last wee man was Balinese and also from a Rescue.

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 18:50:32 PM »
I don't know anything about Maine Coon cats but indeed they are  :Luv: . If you still want a BSH there are a couple of really good places to go for rescues. Mine were from http://www.british-shorthairs.co.uk .

I'm quite nervous because I'm going to meet an Exotic for the first time tomorrow and they're my absolute favourite breed ever!

My brother has a Maine coon and he doesnt get on well with the moggie who arrived next.

I read that so wrong! I thought you said your brother WAS a Maine Coon!  :rofl:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 20:58:53 PM »
Both are absolute stunners! Its a breed I hadn't really paid much attention to before but I saw a pic of one and just fell in love!  :Luv2:
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 08:47:46 AM »
Xanthe is an only cat so I don't know how she would react with other cats. She is quite a character though - follows us around the house and lies nearby though she is not a lap cat. She does like to be made a fuss of though, loves games, sleeps on our bed with us at night and oversees any baths that go on in the house.  :rofl: She does understand some words, like no, her name and hungry but whether she responds to them is a matter of her choice every time...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 23:42:06 PM »
Chester plays with cats outside but hates Oscar and he is hardly to be seen when people are around. He seems to like being with bros downstairs neighbours but rarely comes into his home unless its dinner time.

He doesnt play and will hide or just leave again, I know it makes my bro so sad.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 23:26:03 PM »
He's a handsome one though Gill  ;)  I just love the whole of the Maine Coon character, Billy has a few admirers amongst my own and he totally blanks them  :evillaugh:  I remember Jasmine used to follow him round like a love sick teenager and Billy never took a blind bit of notice.  He is extremely loveable with me and is a definite mummy's boy but I think with the cats, he can take them or leave them, but he shows no aggression or animosity towards them and will let the little one's snuggle up to him.  I got Billy when he was about 10 months old but he was a different cat to when I first saw him.  When I first clapped eyes on him, he was about 5 months old, extremely playful and just a bundle of fun, but with circumstances where he came from, he wasn't withdrawn as such but he seemed to forgotten how to play and interact.  He took a while to get his loveable side to come out, and he isn't fazed by anything but sometimes I wish I'd taken him before he got "ruined" by his background as I think he would be totally different to how he is today.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 23:13:45 PM »
He looks a real lounge lizard  ;D

My brother has a Maine coon and he doesnt get on well with the moggie who arrived next. He also doesnt seem to like people either and suspect that his breeder was not very good and he was the runt of the litter, also he has been ill most of his life and is very underweight.

I feel very sorry for him cos feel he should have been better socialized before another cat was brought in. He just seems to be a very scared cat all of the time and has suffered so much with so many health probs. He is also a carrier of calici virus.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 22:57:31 PM »
I am slave to Billy my Maine Coon  :Luv:  :Luv:  Out of all my cats, he is my baby, he doesn't really bother with the other cats although he isn't naughty or anything, he just looks at them as if they were something he walked in, and he looks at me the same  :evillaugh:  He is a total character and he really does rate himself as number one, they are a fab breed and full of character and I love him to bits.  They are a very intelligent breed and you would swear he understood every word you say to him, as a breed, they are one of the best and my Billy is soooooo handsome  :Luv:  :Luv:  :Luv:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 22:48:05 PM »
I have to say I did sneak on there Gillian - I couldn't resist looking! Working in rescue means I find it really difficult even contemplating paying a breeder for a cat and I know exactly what OH's response would be if I asked for £400 for a cat!!!!! I love my moggies dearly but I do swoon at the pedigrees!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 22:45:45 PM »
I don't profess to know much about pedigree kitties. I always wanted a BSH, but have been reading up quite a bit on Maine Coon cats now. Reality is I probably could never afford one and the chances of one coming into our rescue are erm.....zero!

Don't be too sure about them not ending up in rescue! - there are pedigree rescues, usually linked to breed clubs like this http://www.maine-coon-cat-club.com/rescue/

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
Anybody a Maine Coon Slave?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 22:37:56 PM »
I don't profess to know much about pedigree kitties. I always wanted a BSH, but have been reading up quite a bit on Maine Coon cats now. Reality is I probably could never afford one and the chances of one coming into our rescue are erm.....zero! However, I am intrigued at how these cats are in home environments? How are they with other domestic mogs? They are a cat that I haven't seen mentioned much on the forum and wondered if there was a reason for less of these cats being favoured over other breeds?

Link to CatChat