Author Topic: I DON'T KNOW FOR HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN HOLD THE TEARS  (Read 5093 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: I DON'T KNOW FOR HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN HOLD THE TEARS
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 09:44:09 AM »
Dawn if i drove then id give you a week off for free, you certainly deserve it! Would be quite an adventure  :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 18:10:24 PM »
Hope you've managed to sort some of it out ela.

It has got worse the calls are coming in constantly. We need more fosterer's, but of course that costs money and finding the volunteers is very difficult. Today I authorised  for part of an indoor fosterers garden to be dug out,  a concrete base laid so we can have a double cat pen installed.  Then of course we have to have an electric supply so that will cost us over £5000 all together. Our treasurer will love me as also today Donna and myself have ordered over £600 litter and cat food. We don't usually have to but much cat food but the bins are not doing to well the last couple of weeks and we lost one when a fire wiped out one Supermarket.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 12:09:48 PM »
If it were not for the fact that I go away for about 8 weeks a year

:what:  I think that's my problem cos I can't get away and haven't been away for a few years now  :sigh:  I was trying to get my numbers down so me and Lainey could go off somewhere for a week to chill out and trap cats  :evillaugh:  but then my numbers shot up again   :tired:  If I win the lottery, I'll get someone in to look after them for a week so I can recharge my batteries  :wish:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 11:40:06 AM »
Hope you've managed to sort some of it out ela.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 08:48:44 AM »
All sound advice but

Have a hot soaky bath with lots of bubbles

I do that twice a day now. (phone by the side of bath though) At the moment I also have some fresh chocolate body wash, it smells delicious I am sure I could eat my own body.

feet up or go to bed for a nap.

Rest, if I am on the bed  so are at least a couple of cats one sitting almost on my head and another walking up and down my arm. No point in closing doors as they would meow and meow and scratch at the door. So no rest for the wicked.

And turn the phone off at the wall.

I just could not do that apart from it being our household phone and my husbands business phone if I had cost a cat its life because I did not answer the phone I would not be able to live with myself. Unfortunately some people have very few brain cells and are unable to think for themselves and it take someone in rescue to say you need to take the cat to the vets immediately.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 08:35:33 AM »
[flash=200,200]
Ela, I know exactly what you're saying but you sound just like me and think and help cats 24/7.  You have to try and get a little bit of me time, says me who doesn't get any but........if you don't, you'll make yourself ill.

If it were not for the fact that I go away for about 8 weeks a year I think I would crack up especially as I am getting older, although I fell very young they old bones will not let me do what I want to as quickly as I would like. It is not the amount of rescue work that is a worry it is the sadness of the type of calls I and I am sure all in  rescue receive.

they'll phone someone else.........you know

Some rescues just say we are full and don't  even put the cats on waiting lists. Then they give my number anyway. I feel sometimes a few kind words and a little advice can turn what seems a mountain to an owner into a manageable molehill. Donna one of the fosterer's loves it when I am away and leave her in charge. Well I don't think love is quite the right word. Also I deal with my husbands business, all calls and accounts etc (which reminds me I still have the tax return to do before September).

Still only another 65 days and I can have a rest.

I will whisper this it is 8.50a.m. and the phone has not yet rung, a first I can tell you.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 08:50:51 AM by Ela »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 08:10:44 AM »
Fingers crossed for a better day today.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 06:34:36 AM »
Now can you give me the same advice, and maybe I'll listen  ;)

I'll give both of you the same advice. If you get ill, then not only will future cats suffer, so too will the ones presently in your care as you will be unable to look after them. You, better than any of us know how stretched other rescues are so there will be no-one to look after your babies if you fall by the wayside. So take an afternoon off. Have a hot soaky bath with lots of bubbles, feet up or go to bed for a nap. And turn the phone off at the wall.

Do it once a week at least and mark it in your diary.

Do not allow anyone to intervene in this ritual.

Take care both of you.  :hug:

MBll

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 23:33:22 PM »
shame that I can offer to help in someway but cos of the distance  its not possible,  i guess the rescues  up here are in the same boat but not interested

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 23:04:09 PM »
Ela, I know exactly what you're saying but you sound just like me and think and help cats 24/7.  You have to try and get a little bit of me time, says me who doesn't get any but........if you don't, you'll make yourself ill.  And this will happen, cos I went through it all and did make myself ill, and you're no use to the cats if this happens.  An hour or two of not answering the phone won't hurt anyone, if you don't answer, they'll phone someone else.........you know I'm right  :yes:  Now can you give me the same advice, and maybe I'll listen  ;)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 20:54:28 PM »
Take a deep breath, don't answer the phone for a couple of hours and have some me time

Wish I could do that but at the back of my mind would be the fact that if I  didn't answer the phone and by the time someone got me it would be too late for the cat.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 19:48:03 PM »
My mum told me a story today that my nephew has a gerbil. The 2 little girls next door had a rabbit but decided they wanted a gerbil when they saw his. The neighbour told my sister she "got rid" of the the rabbit (didn't elaborate) and got them the gerbil they wanted. I said she must be a nasty old pikey skank. My mum said she is a pleasant quietly spoken "ordinary" type of woman. It just shows that a lot of "people" have this idea that animals are objects. My sister is like me and upset about the rabbit and has decided she wants nothing to do with this neighbour any more (if she is like me, expect to see headlines about a woman pushed under a bus by next door neighbour  :tired: )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 19:28:05 PM »
I find a family sized bad of Galaxy helps when I'm suffering from Grockel overload.  :sneaky: Alcohol never really helps anything.... unless you drink so much of it you're too p***ed to find the phone when it rings!  :rofl:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 19:21:50 PM »
Sending all you rescue workers a big hug! You all do so much and it's not made any easier by owners making "we'll dump the cats" ultimatums!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 19:15:07 PM »
I'm not sure what's going on Gill, but I have a feeling it could be something to do with the summer holidays why a lot of peeps are getting rid  :censored:  :censored:  A few weeks ago, we seemed to have a bit of a lull round here, there were still problems but not as bad, lately though it has gone manic especially with the kittens.  Luckily I've got 2 ferals going out tomorrow and I'm hoping the farmer will take the 2 boys, if not, they'll be going to the stables with the other two.  That will give me not so much breathing space, but I can at least get another couple sorted out.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 18:35:38 PM »
I feel for all of you doing rescue and it seeems the whole country seems to be inundated with cats at the moment. I dont remember it being this bad last year so whats the cause? Has the weather got anything to do with it?

There doesnt sem to have been a kitten season and then a break, it seems to have been kittens tthroughout the year. Also its like more people are just getting rid of their cats for one reason and another.

Its all so sad  :(

Keep up the good work you all, cos it sounds like a lot of stress and distress out there.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 18:05:48 PM »
 :hug:  Ela, I know exactly how you're feeling.  My head is totally scrambled with them all lately and trying to juggle is an absolute bloody nightmare  :'(  I'm am full to bursting now and still have 3 mum's and 3 lots of kittens to sort urgently, 2 adult cats that need to come in and god knows what else is in my emails........my head is banging, I've just spent 3 hours in the bloody vets, and 2 hours trying to locate a farmer because his bloody sheep are out on a main road  :censored:  Whilst in the vets also, a guy was telling me about a stray cat his nan is looking after but can't take it in as she's in her 80's, cat has tumour on her ear and it's basically eaten part of her face away as well, only a youngish cat but in an appalling state.......I've given him my number to get her to bell me so I can get her sorted out.

Take a deep breath, don't answer the phone for a couple of hours and have some me time  :hug:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 18:07:12 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 16:58:44 PM »
yep, gin is a definite no no for me too. Although I suspect the aversion is based on the flavour of tonic water, rather than the gin itself. Me, if it's wet and has alcohol in it I am willing to give it a go ... :drink2: :Party 3: :drink:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 16:56:16 PM »
I find whisky more useful personally but then each to their own poison

I love Whisky too. To be honest I like most alcohol except, Beer Larger, Benedictine and Gin.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 16:42:31 PM »
I find whisky more useful personally but then each to their own poison. For local rescues in my neighbourhood the offer stands good, but only as an emergency overflow as my babies also need love and attention.

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 16:34:44 PM »
cup of tea etc

Do you think a double brandy would do me more good? ;D

great idea ela  :evillaugh:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 16:33:29 PM »
cup of tea etc

Do you think a double brandy would do me more good? ;D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 16:32:46 PM »
Ela where are you? I have a spare room and can take a couple no worries and foster them for you. And I am sure others on the site might be able to help too

Thank you for your kind offer, but until we get a cat in we don't know its true temperament and it could be a little monster,   also we can only pay the vet bills locally.  It would  also be diffcult to get supplies to different parts of the country.  I do know that rescues all over the country are getting desperate for help so perhaps you could contact a rescue near you and offer your services. Even the Derby Shelter  (HQ sponsored) that can take up to 200 cats at a time and has people going round every day to view has a waiting list of at least 8 - 12 weeks.

You know just writing about it and getting it off your chest makes one feel a little better although still helpless.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 16:19:58 PM »
Ela, calm & deep breath, cup of tea etc and start with one and work your way through..remember you are only human & we know you always try your best   :hug: :hug:

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 16:13:02 PM »
Oh Ela how horrible, try to calm down  :hug:

PM'd you.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: I DON'T KNOW FOR HOW MUCH LONGER i CAN HOLD THE TEARS
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 15:54:30 PM »
Ela where are you? I have a spare room and can take a couple no worries and foster them for you. And I am sure others on the site might be able to help too ........ :hug: :care:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
I DON'T KNOW FOR HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN HOLD THE TEARS
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 15:50:21 PM »
I just do not know what to do, so many calls to bring in cats, as I posted not long ago I received calls to bring in 20 in 2 hrs and since then it has not get any better. Today has been a nightmare when will it all end. A mum and baby found in a park, a pregnant cat dumped at a farm, a cat who has a urine infection and the owner cannot deal with as she has just has a baby, 2 x 9 yr old that need to come in as the owners is being evicted and she said she will dump them.. When will it all end, my head is spinning as we have absolutely nowhere.

NOW I HAVE PUT THIS UNDER THE WRONG HEADING SHOULD BE UNDER RESCUE.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 15:53:57 PM by Ela »

Link to CatChat