Author Topic: Pure Persian Kittens  (Read 9844 times)

Offline emzbubble

• Adult Cat
Re: Pure Persian Kittens
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2007, 21:42:57 PM »
Aww thats great they have been rehomed, they are adorable!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2007, 13:17:03 PM »
Woohoooo  :cheer: :cheer:, fantastic new  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2007, 11:16:21 AM »
 :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2007, 10:09:58 AM »
Apparently all of these babies have now been homed.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline west0405

• Senior Cat
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2007, 01:13:55 AM »
 :Luv:

Does anybody know any more about these little guys, have they found homes yet.....

Haven't been on here for ages,(Soooo-ry... OH taken over the computer!)

Now look at me I'm smitten!

x

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2007, 09:14:35 AM »
On this occasion no - she did reserve the right to come in the future though and I signed a contract.

You must remember though that I was adopting them on the understamding they were indoor only and I had to give a detailed description of my home and personal circumstances.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2007, 01:21:40 AM »
What , no homecheck?

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2007, 20:20:20 PM »
I adopted my boys from Chapelhouse, they were 3 when I had them.

The only experience I had was Mum's long haired moggie, Purdi - looking after when she went on hols etc.

Fabes and Sol were described as well adjusted and confident so I think she felt they would be ok with me.  I also had to send her a monthly email to let her know how they were etc.

I did tonnes of research on the breed and must have made a good impression when I went over to the rescue cos I brought them home with me that night. :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2007, 13:45:36 PM »
Sorry but that is  :censored: STUPID !

So they wouldnt home a kitten to a wonderful home with an owner with heaps of experience ?
RSPCA are  :censored:

:censored: :censored: :censored:

And think of this - If I did have say the magic number of just 5 cats, and I was allowed to take on 2 of those kittens. I would then have 7 - which would then make me unsuitable in terms of numbers, to adopt again,  perfect home or not and despite the fact that they'd already homed to me!!!  :censored:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2007, 12:56:31 PM »
and the manager has said they couldnt rehome a kitten with me due to the number of cats I already have - RSPCA policy (5 other cats would be probably be ok - but 11 wouldnt!) -

Sorry but that is  :censored: STUPID !

So they wouldnt home a kitten to a wonderful home with an owner with heaps of experience ?
RSPCA are  :censored:

:censored: :censored: :censored:

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2007, 11:15:54 AM »
I agree you have to start somewhere. But one thing I do feel is that when it comes to rescue cat its always better to let them go to a home who has had that breed before as they will have more of an insight on what is needed for that breed and that will be better for that cat or kitten who probaly hasn't been treated right and doesn't need to be put in another home with someone who has no idea what is needed and end back in the rescue because of it.
I agree - when it comes to rescue cats, there may be additional problems either caused by the cat having to be rehomed and being shunted about from pillar to post, or which caused the cat to be rehomed in the first place.  Under those circumstances I think it makes sense to want to rehome to someone who has had experience of the breed before.  Although obviously there are exceptions - not all cats in rescues have problems and if they don't seem to have any issues I see no reason why they shouldn't go to someone who has not had that breed before but has had cats before.

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
I agree you have to start somewhere. But one thing I do feel is that when it comes to rescue cat its always better to let them go to a home who has had that breed before as they will have more of an insight on what is needed for that breed and that will be better for that cat or kitten who probaly hasn't been treated right and doesn't need to be put in another home with someone who has no idea what is needed and end back in the rescue because of it.

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2007, 01:03:22 AM »
. I don't think it matters what other cats you have as long as you have had persians before.

I have to comment: those who have persians now at one time had no experience of persians, everyone has to start somewhere!

Exactly what I was about to say Gill  :tired:

Offline Annie

• Adult Cat
    • Catster
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2007, 01:02:53 AM »
Agree with gill and pinkbear..

If everyone insists on people with much breed experience, then finding owners for these cats is going to get increasingly hard.. People will only want/can handle so many, and if no one else gets the chance to own a ped cat and gain experience (as I expect there are a few people who want these cats and will dedicate the time to them) and they continue to insist on it, then I'm afraid the owners just simply won't be there.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2007, 00:57:01 AM »
I agree with that, Gill.  ;)

I see ads for rehoming animals all the time where it says "Must have experience of this breed", not just with cats but with dogs too! One day, I'd love an old retired Greyhound but all the rehoming ads say "Experience of sight hounds essential".

I think what's needed is to show an understanding of the challenges. The odds of someone turfing up at this particular RSPCA centre, AND having a full appreciation of the responsibilities of caring for a persian kitten are pretty remote, sadly... I was the only visitor to them that day!  :tired:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2007, 00:44:57 AM »
. I don't think it matters what other cats you have as long as you have had persians before.

I have to comment: those who have persians now at one time had no experience of persians, everyone has to start somewhere!

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2007, 20:06:24 PM »
What a load of old rubbish that persains have to stay with others. When I had my blue boy I had two birmans and a moggy and they were fine. I am fostering a cross persian at the mo and I have 3 ragdolls, 2 birmans and  a moggy as well and they are all fine too. I don't think it matters what other cats you have as long as you have had persians before.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007, 19:50:06 PM »
as cute as they are i think if anyone has to stop and think about the costs of owning one, bearing in mind it may possibly need more vet visits than some other types (thinking of sasha mango etc) then they probably shouldnt take one on.

When ever i look at the rgt sites i think up of all the ways under the sun i could take on another grey but in reality i couldnt really afford it even if i did have the room.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2007, 19:48:21 PM »
Re the matting - I was more thinking of getting wet and then drying before they got home.  

Fabes loves diving into the bath and I have to keep the loo seat down otherwise he'd be in there too!!  Whoever said cats don't like water were wrong! :evillaugh:

Yeh, mine tend to get wet in a downpour and don't think to actually come back inside always to let me dry them off, but it doesnt cause much of a problem with the fur.

My Suzie used to try and get in the bath, and she would always sit by the side of the bath when I was in it, the others Ben in particular, just likes to sit in the rain, daft boy.  :Crazy:

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2007, 19:40:00 PM »
Thats what I meant. :)

My three are mainly indoor because I only let them out when its dry (my garden is like a bogpit if its slightly wet!) and also only when I'm at home.  They have loads of mental stimulation inside and of course play with each other too.  I have had the garden cat proofed which means they can enjoy outside but without the dangers mentioned before.

Re the matting - I was more thinking of getting wet and then drying before they got home.  

Fabes loves diving into the bath and I have to keep the loo seat down otherwise he'd be in there too!!  Whoever said cats don't like water were wrong! :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2007, 19:39:06 PM »
It is amazing how people believe Urban myths/Old wives tales.

There were quite a few members of the Tasmanian Cat Fancy who believed that once a queen had mated with a moggy any future litters might be tainted with the mongrel blood!! I mean I can understand that any pure breed kittens from a mixed litter might be looked at sideways but really! In this day and age and scientific understanding, it beats belief!!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2007, 19:34:05 PM »
I have 3 persians and tbh I wouldn't say they have to be with other persians but definitely with other cats as they are quite sociable.  The exception to the rule is Mum's blue Oscar who isn't mad keen on other cats and just about tolerates mine when he comes for a 'holiday' :evillaugh:  But, last time he did resort to a bit of nose sniffing with Foofoo so you never know!

One thing I would say is that they should be indoor cats or have access to a safe enclosed space because:

they have poor other animal sense
poor traffic sense
if caught in a downpour would matt really easily which can be painful
easy recognised breed so easy target for thieves

They are gorgeous kittens I wish....

Mine quite often get caught in a downpour - in fact they insist on it LOL! and they don't mat, just as long as you dry off and brush well afterwards its not a problem. I don't agree that they should be kept indoors, there is no reason for this. They love to be outside, just the same as any cat.  I agree about a safe outside space though.

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 19:29:51 PM »
I have 3 persians and tbh I wouldn't say they have to be with other persians but definitely with other cats as they are quite sociable.  The exception to the rule is Mum's blue Oscar who isn't mad keen on other cats and just about tolerates mine when he comes for a 'holiday' :evillaugh:  But, last time he did resort to a bit of nose sniffing with Foofoo so you never know!

One thing I would say is that they should be indoor cats or have access to a safe enclosed space because:

they have poor other animal sense
poor traffic sense
if caught in a downpour would matt really easily which can be painful
easy recognised breed so easy target for thieves

They are gorgeous kittens I wish....

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2007, 13:58:50 PM »
People sometimes talk out of their  :bum: Sarah,

It is probably just a perpetuated myth - dangerous when someone in that postion takes it as gospel though.

Sarah, I agree with Mark, sounds like they just didnt know what they were talking about! What a shame, they turned down a good home because of their ignorance.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2007, 13:56:15 PM »
 :rofl: @ Sarah
It is amazing how people believe Urban myths/Old wives tales.

I have to admit, about 5 years ago one of my collegues told me that KFC were breeding headless chickens and I believed it  :-[
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2007, 13:52:12 PM »
Mark - My Granny still goes on about the 'sucking the lives out of babies' one  :rofl:

I swear a few months ago she said that she saw it nearly happen once and she had to hit the cat away :tired:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 13:49:46 PM »
People sometimes talk out of their  :bum: Sarah,

It is probably just a perpetuated myth - dangerous when someone in that postion takes it as gospel though.

A cat's a cat  :evillaugh:

I was trying to see if I could get any info and found this about cat urban myths - a good read  :evillaugh: http://www.messybeast.com/urbancat1.htm

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Super Cat
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 13:47:07 PM »
Methinks you got 'fobbed off', Sarah...  :sneaky:

It could be that the rescue wanted to make sure the cat went to an experienced persian keeper. What better way to ensure that than to tell folks it could only go with another one like itself?

If so Pinkbear I think that's a bit :censored:. I would rather be told than fobbed off  :'(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 13:45:53 PM »
Methinks you got 'fobbed off', Sarah...  :sneaky:

It could be that the rescue wanted to make sure the cat went to an experienced persian keeper. What better way to ensure that than to tell folks it could only go with another one like itself?

• Super Cat
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2007, 13:39:17 PM »
Persians need to be kept with other Persians only, am I right?

Not necessarily Sarah, I've got 3 moggies. I don't think older Persians would be too happy living with a lively breed like the Bengal for instance, but even then, I think if you bring a persian kitten into an existing group of whatever type of cat, it would probably fit in fine.

I went to a rescue centre months ago and there was a beautiful female Persian, about 1 year old. I was petting her and she seemed perfect. I just absolutely fell in love with her. She has some breathing problems but it was all well controlled apparantly. She just seemed like such a little character  :Luv: So I enquired about her and filled out an adoption form (even though I wasn't planning on having anymore cats  :evillaugh:) Anyways, the kind of 'head' women of the rescue told me I couldn't have her bc I had other cats and that Persians need to live with other Persians  :( I was gutted.

I would LOVE a Persian so much <3
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 13:39:51 PM by Sarah (seldom_use) »

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007, 13:14:13 PM »
My Persian lives very happily with two moglet girlfriends and a very large house bunny.   :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 13:11:38 PM »
Hehe! If I thought we could get away with it.......but I wouldnt want anyone to get caught out, I'd feel terrible, esepcially if they DID want to do a follow up, it would put blackcat in an awkward situation.

I was telling my mum about the kittens, and normally she would be saying 'oh no, not another one, don't you think you've already got enough to cope with blah, blah!' - but what she actually said was, 'I don't think you can have JUST one, you really should get TWO together LOL!  ;D

Not necessarily Sarah, I've got 3 moggies. I don't think older Persians would be too happy living with a lively breed like the Bengal for instance, but even then, I think if you bring a persian kitten into an existing group of whatever type of cat, it would probably fit in fine.

• Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2007, 10:10:16 AM »
They are gorgeous!!

Wish I could get one too..

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2007, 10:00:12 AM »
Gillian..? Oh, Gillian...!  :evillaugh:

Look at us, though! Plotting a jail break to spring a kitten!  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 01:01:27 AM »
arnt they adorable  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

I love the tiny one right at the back  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 01:02:39 AM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 00:09:43 AM »
I could always volunteer - I have the perfect place with a terrace row backing onto another terrace row, gardens all along both sides of the fence and a rear footpath (unused) full of nettles and other jungly stuff - perfect for a wee kitten - would have to be briefed about the care and maintenance of persians though as the only long-hair I have ever owned was Bob and he never needed grooming until his last year (when he couldn't reach the base of his tail any more and his britches started getting a little felted...)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2007, 22:04:17 PM »
Aw.. sneaky!  :shify:

I doubt they'd let me have a kitten. I doubt I'd pass the home check - you'll see what I mean when you come round for that coffee!  ;) My house is a kind of retirement house - suitable for indoor cats and 'senior kittizens' content with a quiet kip by the fire, or a lazy slump on the decking after dinner. :evillaugh: A youngster would want to get out and about and there's no way they could do that in my location and the RSPCA would see that too.  :(

If i thought I could swing it, I would try, though...   8)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 21:53:10 PM »
Sorry Gillian. I have a devious plan  :shify:. Pinkbear could get the kitten and give her to you. If they ever did a follow-up (unlikely) Pinkbear could say "she's at the groomers"  :evillaugh:

Good result for everyone.

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2007, 17:24:24 PM »
Oh how adoreable are they. I love persains they are just so cute I still really miss my blue persain I lost last year due to kidney failure. Don't think  let me have one either though as I have to many cats already.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 16:59:24 PM »
Gillian, I'm sorry they wouldn't let you have one. You'd have been the perfect meowmy...  :(

I'm glad that at least people are showing interest in these babies. When I went they told me no one was interested. So maybe other people are reading this thread and making enquiries?  ;D

I still can fathom how they ended up in rescue care....  :scared:

Link to CatChat