Author Topic: Looking for a home for Stan  (Read 3032 times)

Offline stan

• Kitten
Re: Looking for a home for Stan
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 16:53:42 PM »
The problem I have is that there is only one entrance to my house and the house is very open plan so it's impossible for him to get in without having to pass the dogs.  I just wish he would stand his ground as none of the dogs I have here would harm him, the young retriever just gets excitable and bouncey when she sees him which in turn makes him run and in turn winds everyone else up.  He takes no notice of my own three dogs, and in fact really likes a couple of the others that stay, sleeping in their beds with them when the young dog is not here.

He does have somewhere dry to sleep when he is out and on mild dry days he loves snoozing in my neighbours tree (which he does whether there are dogs here or not), it's a good viewing point for him of the other gardens.

He is now home from the vet minus a bit of fur from his paw where they had to clip off the tar.  I'll give him a couple of days to get over the vet visit and then try some more training with the young dog and him and see if that improves things.  Thanks for your kind words and support.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 15:52:59 PM »
Thats great!  ;D
I dont know your setup etc but would it possible to make him a kind of wire tunnel for him to get from garden to house?

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 15:26:44 PM »
So pleased for you both, Hope everything turns out well  ;)

Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 15:16:20 PM »
So pleased that you are keeping Stan  ;D

Have you got a nice dry, warm shelter for him outside where he can sleep if he wants?

I do hope everything goes well cos he is very handsome  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 11:42:05 AM »
Great news for you both  ;D
I'm sure you wouldn't have been happy losing him and he wants to be with you. Maybe you could think about getting a cat igloo with a heated bed so at least he can keep warm & dry (you probably already have one?)

Really please for you both  ;D
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline stan

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 11:15:57 AM »
I think I had a sign from Stan this morning.  He never needs to go to the vet and is so wonderfully uncomplicated to have around (unlike my dogs who are forever at the vets).  This morning he was waiting for me when I went out with the dogs.  He came bellowing across the neighbours garden and I could see that his paw was covered in something.  Inspection made it look like tar.  Stupid cat!  So I walked the dogs, came home and took him up to the vet to have him cleaned up.  He was sensible enough to stick around and let me sort it out for him too.  Anyway I had a long chat with my vet about rehoming him and how I was feeling so guilty about him having to live out during the summer.  My vet asked me if he comes in when the weather is mild when the other dogs are not here (ie for most of the rest of the  year).  I said that he does tend to live out pretty much all the time for a good 8 months of the year but it was the fact that he doesnt have a choice in coming in if he wants too.  My vet said that given that plenty of cats live out 24/7 and the fact that he is in terrific shape, very strong and healthy that he thinks I should stop feeling guilty about it.  The more I thought about it the more it made sense, so in a funny way i'm glad that Stan trod in tar this morning (probably wont be as glad when I get the vet bill later!), my vet has made a lot of sense so it means Stan is here to stay.  I cant tell you the relief I feel, I came home and cried!  Many thanks for the suggestions posted earlier in the week, I'm going to spend the next few days trying to do some more desensitising with the youngest dog who stays here who is the one that he really doesnt like (as she is big and bouncey but basically harmless) and see if we can improve that so at least she stops chasing him in the garden if she sees him. 

Thanks again

Offline stan

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 18:38:21 PM »
Many thanks for your suggestions, I will do everything you suggest. No it hasnt been an easy decision but I feel I have to do what is best for his quality of life now.  I wont advertise him in any free ads, I am involved in dog rescue so I do know the dos and donts of this - I just never thought it would be me in the position of having to rehome one of my own.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 18:31:49 PM »
Stan is a one handsome lad  :Luv:
Other than the CP scheme i would suggest you put posters up in your local vet surgeries. You can get references from the vets then  ;)

Please dont list him on any free ad sites.
Good luck finding Stan a new home, its never an easy decision to make.

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/london.html

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 12:49:55 PM »
Contact your local Cats Protection League and ask about their Direct Rehoming scheme. CPL will add your cat's details and photo to their list, and post his details on their website. It is then up to you to vet potential owners. This is a very effective way of rehoming cats because it allows new owners to see the cat in his/her 'natural' environment, and cats rehomed this way do not get stressed and show themselves badly or out of character than they would in a pen.

Other rescues may run schemes like this, but I don't know which ones.

Good luck, and I hope wee Stan finds his forever home soon.

Jxx

Offline stan

• Kitten
Looking for a home for Stan
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 11:52:50 AM »
I am looking for a good home for my 3 year old tabby and white male cat Stan.  He has been with me since he was 7 weeks old so this is a bit of a tough thing to write.  I had a cat previously to him who lived in harmony with my 3 dogs (and my dog boarders who I have here also all throughout the year), well I say 'lived in harmony' she just used to boss them all about and took no nonsense from anyone.  I lost her just before her 20th birthday 2 years ago. I had already brought Stan home as I wanted him to grow up with the dogs and get used to all the canine comings and goings at home.  Unfortunately he is nothing like my previous cat (stupid of me to assume that he would be the same on reflection), and although he gets on fine with my 3 dogs and a selection of the boarders, there are some of the boarders that he just doesnt like at all so he ends up living out. I have dogs here for 2 months over the summer and so rarely see him at all.  It was the same last summer and I felt terribly guilty about it.  Yesterday one of the young dogs chased him out of the garden and although I dont think she would have harmed him I've just realised I'm being utterly selfish in keeping him when he is forced out of his own home on a regular basis.  He is a very outdoorsy cat but it is still not fair that he cant have the freedom to come and go as he pleases.  He really needs a home where he can have unlimited freedom which he has always had here, he can be quite shy of people to begin with but is a really loyal cat, he will respond to a whistle when you want him home (as his territory is not very large).  He is neutered, de-flea'd, wormed, vaccinated and micro-chipped and has never had any health issues.  He is a really big strong handsome boy but I just think he deserves better than I am giving him.  We are in North London.  I have put a picture of Stan below, if anyone is interested please let me know - he's such a character and will make a great addition to the right household.

Link to CatChat