Author Topic: Middle aged cast offs  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Middle aged cast offs
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 13:16:54 PM »
We aren't having a good time with the older cats either, just taken 3 over the age of 9, they were at the vets for 'that appointment' cos she couldn't cope and we hadn't been able to help previously. Plus, we have 2 2/3yos who have been with us for months, nobody seems interested in them which is a shame, as they are still young and playful. At least those 2 are both in a home environment, even if Shabba has had to be an indoor cat for the past 3 months!!
That e-mail is so sad, I do hope they can find something for the poor love.
It could be worse though, I was talking to someone on an American forum, and adults tend to stay with them at least a year, sometimes 3-4 years. MAkes Shabba's 3 months seem like nothing.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Middle aged cast offs
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 10:58:04 AM »
I am in full admiration of the work you rescue peeps do. I couldn't. I'd spend half my time crying and the other half shouting.

But I have been on the other end now and again. During a family crisis years back, I found myself stuck with three hamsters. Of course, there was no way I wouldn't take care of them, but at the same time they needed proper forever homes with people that wanted them. I gave up looking for help after 30 calls to various shelters. They lived out their days in my house perfectly happy and well cared for, but a hamster doesn't take much looking after...

I think sometimes you have to stand back from the day to day of all the cruelty, neglect and suffering and remember that while some people are thoughtless, stupid and rude, others are standing next to you on your side.

The root cause of all this, we know, is too many cats and not enough homes. The neutering message is getting through, but not enough. I've never seen so many kittens around...  :'( I would love for my next cat to be a fancy, classy, bells and whistles pure breed something or other, but with so many unwanted moggies around, it's not going to happen. My heart would be forever fixed on those cages...

Here's a deal for you Teresa, to give you the mind to carry on. When my 2 go to the Bridge, I'll give up their billets to a couple of your middle aged cast offs... but fingers crossed, not for a while yet.

Juliexx

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Middle aged cast offs
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 10:04:35 AM »
This year is proving to be the worst ever for middleaged cats; we are full of them and no one even wants to consider giving an adult cat a home. Every day brings threats of a cat being PTS if its not rehomed thank fully many are empty threats in an effort to queue jump many people will listen to reason and hold onto the cat a while longer if offered support.
 Already this morning I have had a request to take in 2 adult femals because owner is pregnant and no longer wants the cats; Just received this email this morning which I do find worrying. Do people think we are miracle workers with untold space, resources and strength,think I`m reaching breaking point or maybe boiling point not sure; Even if space could be made Is it fair to keep cats penned indefinately? I think not. Rant over sorry but needed to get it off my chest.

Help.

We took in a cat when its owners moved house and left it behind saying it was wild.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  The cat loves being in the house and hates to go out. Over the last couple of months the cat has started pooing and peeing in the house wherever it likes. I have a 2 year old and I am expecting another baby in 4 weeks.  I cannot cope with a cat messing in the house with a newborn and a toddler around.  I dont want to kick the cat out onto the street as he is an affectionate and lovely looking cat.  Can you suggest where I can take him that might find him a home ? The RSPCA dont seem to want to know because he's currently in our home but he's only in our home because we took pity on him..

The vet thinks he's about 7 or 8.  He is a small black and white cat who we have been calling Max.

Please help.

Kind Regards

Link to CatChat