Author Topic: Just done a homecheck and it's perfect  (Read 7234 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Just done a homecheck and it's perfect
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2007, 08:09:12 AM »
Am glad she is seeming better.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2007, 19:00:01 PM »
Great news .... glad she is finally settling ... slowly but surely as they say :)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2007, 18:51:29 PM »
She's getting a little more confidant daily so I'll be giving them another ring tomorrow........up to now, she's doing okay  ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2007, 18:05:48 PM »
How's Rosie doing Dawn?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2007, 18:20:05 PM »
She's more than welcome to stop here, she's been here a while now anyway so it's not going to make much differance.  I just thought when Clarrie rang and wanted just one cat, and it didn't matter that she had litter tray issues, they were perfect for her.......not many people will take on a cat that will only use the bath  :evillaugh:  I think although Rosie isn't keen on the other cats, she's probably got used to them being there and in a warped way, does miss their company   :'(  It is difficult fitting the homes to the cats but even though it's early days with Rosie, she's the one that's upset me most because of the way she's reacted.

I've had enquiries for one cat before, and for some reason have never suggested Rosie, probably due to them wanting her until they find out she does not like her tray and then the home going down the pan.  Listening to what Clarrie wanted and what she could offer Rosie made me think she was the perfect choice, obviously Rosie has other ideas  :sneaky:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2007, 18:11:47 PM »
It may be that Rosie is unadoptable and you'll have to keep her, maybe adopt her yourself. Hopefully things will get better at her new home.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2007, 18:06:35 PM »
Even if they agreed to take another cat, who could I rehome with Rosie?  She has never shown any niceness to any that are here so if another went, they in turn would be unhappy as they are with a grouch and they would be leaving other friends behind  :Crazy:  I'm not sure how I'm going to work it now, I will have to see how she is tomorrow  ;)  If she comes back again, I'm sure Dudley will revel in all the attention......he really does like his own company away from other cats but does like a mega fuss when it's offered.  He is a confidant chap, although a little nervous when I got him in, I think at some stage he's been ill treated and this is why he was a little temperamental, he's calmed down a lot now and is a little more trustworthy.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2007, 17:54:51 PM »
I wasn't criticising you, Dawn, but the husband's attitude. I'm sure you'll do the right thing for her.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2007, 17:30:51 PM »
Two cats are more fun! I love watching them together, either play-fighting, or snuggling. Great to have them in pairs.

They are more fun if they like other cats but Rosie doesn't.  I've spent a lot of time thinking about Rosie before deciding to rehome, I only do what is best for the cat.  If they like other cats, they will ONLY be rehomed with other cats, Rosie has always been a grouch with other cats and will let it be known when they come too close.  So this rehoming wasn't taken likely, I thought it would be in her best interests and she would be happy, obviously I was wrong.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2007, 17:27:51 PM »
All my cats usually go in pairs.......I never split them and if one comes in on their own, I usually see who they react best with, and they get rehomed with them.  I would only let them go individually if it was better for them, and Rosie was one that I felt would benefit because of the way she reacts generally with the others, but she's obviously not happy on her own so I will have to have a rethink if she comes back, on the best way to rehome her so she is happy.  

I wouldn't worry about her being on her own, Clarrie works from home so she's in 99% of the time, this was why I thought this home was perfect for Rosie.  They are surrounded by fields, and she's in a loving environment so I'm hoping she will come round as I know if she settles, she will be happy as a pig in muck.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2007, 17:25:40 PM »
Two cats are more fun! I love watching them together, either play-fighting, or snuggling. Great to have them in pairs.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2007, 17:20:06 PM »
I dont envy you at all Dawn  :hug: shame the husband doesnt realise it may make her settle and I always like cats to be in two's where possible so they dont feel lonely when nobody is in

Hope you manage to get the darling sorted  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

xx

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2007, 17:07:25 PM »
Why won't the husband go for 2 cats?

They've only ever had one at any given time and he won't budge.  I did try to persuade them to have 2 when she first contacted me, the fact they wouldn't, Rosie should have been perfect  :sigh:  The only other one I would let go on his own is Dudley, and now Rosie has acted the way she has, I really think Dudley would be better suited.  He's not been here long so hasn't settled in to the extent, he sees this as his home.  I've always thought Rosie would be better rehomed on her own but I've got my doubts now, hubby was saying last night, maybe she is missing their company even though she never bothers with them and only shows dislike when they are near.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 17:08:40 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2007, 17:00:40 PM »
Why won't the husband go for 2 cats?

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2007, 16:58:42 PM »
In one of my previous post, I stated that they had left her alone to her own devices but she's rarely venturing out and definitley only when they are not there.  So the next step was to try reassuring her with their voice and to try and coax her out, again this hasn't worked.  The couple are lovely, they do want a cat to keep rodents down but also a cat they can love.......I have done a lot of homechecks, and these are probably some of the nicest people I've met.  They have had cats for years so they are used to being around cats, they haven't mithered her, they're trying to let Rosie come out in her own time but they are worried about her emotional state.  They are not concerned about how long she takes to settle down, they are concerned for her and it was me that suggested taking Dudley up instead.  When Clarrie phoned me yesterday, she just wanted me to make sure Rosie was okay and wasn't getting too stressed by the whole situation, she is attached to her already and all they want is for her to be happy.

I deal mainly with the ferals, and in some respect, although they take longer to settle in, I only rehome them in pairs so they've got the support of each other.  The fact Rosie is on her own, she hasn't got this so for me seeing her upset, it obviously upsets me as well  :'(

Would they consider taking another as well as little sweetheart Rosie. may be she may feel better if she thinks she isnt alone and it would give a home to two fur babies then

xx

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2007, 16:54:04 PM »
In one of my previous post, I stated that they had left her alone to her own devices but she's rarely venturing out and definitley only when they are not there.  So the next step was to try reassuring her with their voice and to try and coax her out, again this hasn't worked.  The couple are lovely, they do want a cat to keep rodents down but also a cat they can love.......I have done a lot of homechecks, and these are probably some of the nicest people I've met.  They have had cats for years so they are used to being around cats, they haven't mithered her, they're trying to let Rosie come out in her own time but they are worried about her emotional state.  They are not concerned about how long she takes to settle down, they are concerned for her and it was me that suggested taking Dudley up instead.  When Clarrie phoned me yesterday, she just wanted me to make sure Rosie was okay and wasn't getting too stressed by the whole situation, she is attached to her already and all they want is for her to be happy.

I deal mainly with the ferals, and in some respect, although they take longer to settle in, I only rehome them in pairs so they've got the support of each other.  The fact Rosie is on her own, she hasn't got this so for me seeing her upset, it obviously upsets me as well  :'(
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 16:56:07 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2007, 16:45:08 PM »
I say trust your insticts Dawn.  Rosie was with you for quite some time and you know her better than any one.  

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2007, 16:43:01 PM »
They then spent hours talking to her and trying to get her to come out,

This may be part of the problem. They should leave her alone, and feed her in her hidey hole. If they spend hours trying to entice a terrified cat, the cat with withdraw in fear even more. She should be left to come out in her own time.

I know you've vetted this couple thoroughly, but I was alerted by their reason for wanting a cat - to reduce the rodent problem. Have they had a cat before and really want the cat for itself? I wonder whether they are forcing the cat to settle in too quickly because they want it to get on with mousing. From what you've said she could be a difficult to settle cat who'll take months to adjust to her new life. Long term, with patience, the outlook can be good, but it really takes time. (At the moment I have my ex-feral trying to crawl onto my lap while I'm typing!! It took six months or so to bring her round.)

But you've known Rosie, and if you think this isn't the home for her, take her back.

I think the pen would be worth trying. I did this with Bella, a semi-feral who cowered behind the sofa for days. I had a large wire carrying cage and put her in that for a couple of days, taking  her out to feed her and plonk her on the litter. After about a two months, she turned into a lovely cat. She was helped by the already resident Minnie, a confident cat who loved Bella from the moment she set eyes on her (she pinned her down with her front legs and gave her a good wash!).

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2007, 15:28:43 PM »
Thanks Sam  :hug:  The other problem with her not settling is,  the reason they wanted a cat is they live out in the country and they keep chickens and guinea pigs and have started having a rodent problem as they've recently lost their other cat to old age.  If Rosie is going to be too scared to venture out of her hidey hole, she will probably be too scared to go outside which will defeat the object as this is part of the reason they wanted her.  Her hubby wouldn't go for 2 cats and with Rosie's history, she should have been perfect for them as she was confident, a bit of a grouch and wasn't keen on other cats.  She was used to hunting to support her kittens and I thought it was fate as she's from the exact spot the hubby was brought up in.

The day I took her didn't really help matters........whilst there, a helicoptor decided to come down really low over the fields and it was there for a good 10 minutes, maybe this scared her and she associates her new home with really loud noise.  Our house is a mad house and she is used to music blaring etc but a helicoptor is a different thing altogether.

I don't know, I have tried to think of everything that could have caused her reaction as this is so unlike her.  I expect a cat to be nervous in new surroundings but for Rosie, this is OTT.  When she came to live here, she settled in no problem even though she didn't really like the other cats, she doesn't whack them but can be quite verbal when they approach too close.  I just hope it's settling in nerves.  Her new mum and dad will work with her but like me, their main concern is the effect it's having on her.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2007, 15:10:48 PM »
Dawn,

As well as wizz's advice this article might help:  http://www.homestead.com/9livescats/timidcats.html

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2007, 14:33:55 PM »
- she does need more time, and if she is eating, then she isn't too stressed

When I went round yesterday, her eyes were extremely wide and she was shaking........if this isn't stressed, I don't know what is.  Rosie is usually a confidant cat and even though she's been eating, she's been eating very little.  I've rehomed a lot of cats but in Rosie's case, I'm more worried for her emotional state than anything else.  It is early days but when I took her, her coat was sleak and shiny, she is now losing lots of fur when you stroke her which again can be a sign of stress.  She's been left to her own devices, and she still hasn't been venturing out.......I think if they went in the room and saw her scurrying away, it wouldn't be so bad but she isn't, she stays put in her hiding place.  They then spent hours talking to her and trying to get her to come out, at this point they didn't even know where she was hiding.  I'm going to see how she is on Tuesday and then make a decision about her......hopefully the next day will show a complete turnaround in her behaviour.  I have thought about a pen for her but sadly, I haven't got one free at the moment.  If there's an improvement by tomorrow, I may go up to our local rescue and see if I can loan one.

I think even though she doesn't like other cats, she is missing the company of them......that's the only thing I can think of, I will see how it goes.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2007, 13:50:07 PM »
I agree with Hippy and Lottie - she does need more time, and if she is eating, then she isn't too stressed, and it shouldn't do her much harm. A few days really isn't long enough for most cats, but as long as they are willing to put the time and effort in, which they sound like, I would keep her there, she might surprise you in a short space of time.
Please spay your cat

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2007, 13:46:03 PM »
Could they keep her in a room where she can't hide except in a bed for a while and they can sit in there and read to her etc whilst she learns they aren't scary and won't hurt her? Just a thought as when Miss Boopy came home we put her in the bathroom with food, water, toys, litter tray etc and a tent bed she could hide in but that was the only hidey hole.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2007, 09:28:34 AM »
I've had a few cats (including Polly, though she was a feral) who did this in the beginning, but eventually ventured out of their hiding place when I was around. It may be worth loaning a pen for them to put in the centre of the room they use most, so that she gets used to the different smells and learns that they won't hurt her. Maybe she's being overwhelmed with attention. It would be best if she was left alone, except for feeding, until she is more comfortable.

I'd give this much longer - maybe a month - before deciding to take her back.

It's a shame she doesn't like other cats; sometimes having a confident cat helps. The shy one watches as you cuddle the other, and hears the purring, this helps to teach the timid one that you are nice to be with and that cuddling is nice.

Good luck.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2007, 23:48:03 PM »
I hate rehoming them at the best of times, I love them all to bits and hate to see them stressed out  :'(  It would be great if we could wave a magic wand and make them understand, life would be great for them but sadly we can't  :'(  It always upsets me rehoming them but once they've settled in and they start responding to their new mums and dads, I think it's all worthwhile.......it's just getting them to that stage without too much trauma  :sigh:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 23:34:47 PM »
Thats really sad to think she is that sad isnt it  :'( :'( :'(........If only we could get them to understand that it will be ok and her forever home is wonderful and that you have to help other little babies like her feel safe and loved and that nobody is ever going to hurt them again.........

I  hope she does come round and realise they are wonderful people  :hug: :hug:

xx

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 23:31:08 PM »
The worrying thing is, she's very rarely coming out and only when no one's around......when they go in the room she's hiding in the most awkward places  :'(  Last night, they resorted to sprinkling flour on the floor as they'd honestly thought she'd got out, this morning there were footprints and the food was gone, but again Rosie had found herself a fab hiding spot.  She seems to be getting worse and not better which has totally flummoxed me as I know the place is perfect for her, it couldn't be more perfect and they are trying to do everything they can to make her feel secure.  I told them to let her come to them and just try and coax her gently, but they've spent hours sat there and still no sign.  When they've found her hiding places, they've been fussing her constantly to try and reassure her that all will be fine and she has been responding by nuzzling, but again, she still won't come out of her own volition.  I really hope she will settle down as it will be her dream home.......but they are concerned about her emotional state which obviously I am as well.  I'll send them Wizz's link and hopefully they'll get a few pointers, but if it doesn't work, I'll have to admit defeat and let Dudley go instead.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 23:31:37 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 23:28:43 PM »
aww thats really sad and worrying for you and I bet your worrying and thinking about her all the time...... I hope she settles with her new meowmy and Daddy and that she is a forever happy baby like she has been with you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 23:21:05 PM »
Oh Dawn how worrying for you.  I'm sure you have given her mummy and daddy all the normal advice .... maybe suggest they have a look at wizz's tips on bonding with a cat http://wizz-catz.co.uk/bonding.html

I have always found just sitting on the floor and ignoring a kitty helps them to relax and evenutally get used to you.

Fingers crossed she will settle down soon poor baby.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 23:16:28 PM »
Had a phone call whilst in work today about Rosie  :scared:  She really isn't settling down, she's been constantly hiding away and just eating small amounts  :'(  I went round to see her this evening to spend some time with her........they really want to keep her but obviously her emotional state has to be taken into account.  She is letting them fuss her when they finally find her hiding places but she does seem very frightened bless her.  I think the problem is she has got so used to being with me, she saw this as her home........I always hate rehoming the ones that have been her a while as it's a big step for them no matter how perfect their new mum and dad are  :'(  I thought the fact she has no competition from other cats, she would settle down no problem but obviously I was wrong.  I've said to give her a couple more days and then we'll decide the best course of action.  Dudley still hasn't gone up to the farm yet so he's still here as an option as they would dearly love a cat, but I'm not sure whether Rosie is the one.  The sad thing is, if she won't settle there I can't see her settling anywhere else.........the family are so loving and are already very attached to her but she may be one, that will end up having to stop here.  I know some cats do take a while to settle and it's still early days and she seemed a lot more relaxed whilst I was there but Clarrie said it's the first time she seen her chilled since she's had her, but it's heartbreaking for me to see her and know she's not happy  :'(  I would normally advise them that a few days isn't really long enough which it isn't but obviously I don't won't Rosie getting ill in the process.  I'm hoping the next couple of days, they'll see a big differance in her and she'll realise that's she's landed on her feet if she gives them a chance.  I will keep you posted as regardless of the outcome, I'll be going over again on Tuesday to see how she is.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 18:34:50 PM »
What wonderful news.

Good luck in your new home Rosie with your new mummy.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 15:50:17 PM »
That's great news  :yesss:

Hope you'll be very happy in your forever home little one  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 15:47:06 PM »
Rosie has been delivered to her new abode and she was absolutely fine  :Luv:  She hid for a few minutes and then had something to eat and then explored every nook and cranny available  ;D  I'm sure she'll be happy in her new home........her new mummy is lovely and is quite prepared for the odd accident, she said it really doesn't matter  :)  Rosie was quite happy to be fussed by all and I think in a few days she'll really feel she's landed on her feet  :Luv:  :Luv:  I'm soooo pleased for her, I was quite upset the last few days at the thought of rehoming her as she's been here such a long time, but seeing her inquisitive little face today whilst she was exploring, I know she's found the right "slaves" and the right home  :Luv:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 23:06:42 PM »
Rosie says a big  :thankyou: for her good wishes.  I'm going to be gutted to see her go, I've had her in a while now and I always feel bad when they've been here so long, as I know she sees this as home  :'(  Her new mummy emailed me today to say she's bought her a large litter tray and a mop and bucket just in case  :rofl: and that she's really looking forward to being her slave  :Luv:  I'm sure she'll be fine once she settles, they have chickens and guinea pigs so I'm sure she'll have lots of fun teaching them whose boss  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 16:26:13 PM »
Good luck sweet heart in your new home may you be spoilt rotton like all cats should be.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 08:12:41 AM »
good luck in ur new home rosie  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 07:26:06 AM »
I am glad you have managed to find a home for her, I know how long she has been waiting. I am happier when it is one that has been with me longer, as they are so deserving of it. Good luck for Rosie in her new home.
Please spay your cat

Offline ChinaBlue

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 06:16:40 AM »
That's great news.  I hope she settles in well and soon has everyone under her paw ;)

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 23:19:00 PM »
Good luck in your new home Rosie we all hope you have a lovely happy life with lots of toys and many slaves.

Dont forget to give foster Mummy Dawn the biggest head kiss

xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 22:00:28 PM »
Yeay! Good luck in your new home, Rosie. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Link to CatChat