Author Topic: home wanted for 2 old cats  (Read 6334 times)

Offline paulinee

• Kitten
Re: home wanted for 2 old cats
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 22:56:36 PM »
 :welcome: :care:will  be following up possibility of new home but too near busy traffic I think. Cats very healthy. Patch's fur grown back and Tom eating and purring well. Anyone in Sheff area want these two just in case we cant take them abroad :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2007, 16:46:15 PM »
If your moving next year If it were me i would strongly consider flying with the said airline (not BA) and take all your furries with you.......have you got a new home or are you not sure yet? (for the older cats)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 16:47:42 PM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Offline paulinee

• Kitten
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2007, 12:45:04 PM »
 :welcome: may have found a home for the 2 cats. I hope..... We dont move until next March which is a yearly a year away. Still looking at flying them over. Still keen to get comments from all :thanks:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2007, 17:50:17 PM »
Thats great if the vet is happy to do things on the hush  ;D ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2007, 10:35:44 AM »
The vet's right. How would they know? ;) Just be careful you don't get caught!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline paulinee

• Kitten
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2007, 10:04:05 AM »
just back from vets. Shaven cat again. Wont put him to sleep (as in to operate/xray) as Patch is 18 and thinks he may not come round so poor puss was shaven and prodded whilst fully conscious. Purrs away merrily tho' just screams when put into his carrier. Thankfully vets costs are reasonable . Vet mentioned about getting rogue tom neutered, catnapping him etc. Will deny all knowledge tho'. Will do 'it' on the cheap as he was upset and disgusted by the injuries. If I was 100% sure its the tom then I'd speak to the owners but they'll deny its their loveable tabby so whether I resort to catching him and taking him - like the vet says 'who'll know?'

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2007, 19:37:51 PM »
Other than just catnap him and do it, which would be dodgy as your so close them. Its the talk to them and hope they listen route.
Explain the health benefits eg, cancer, fiv, felv and that hes causing trouble for other peoples pets. If money is an issue then they can apply for a voucher from cats protection, you dont have to be on benefits to get these now. If they are too bone idle to do that then i personally would offer to take him and pay for it. Afterall you will spend a small fortune on treatment for bites!

Im afraid you cant report it as its not against the law to own an entire tom  >:(

Offline paulinee

• Kitten
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2007, 18:36:49 PM »
 :sick: Patch cat off to vets again tomorrow. He was bitten a  few weeks ago by we think a tom cat nearby, un-neutered. The tom was around again and once again Patch has a bite on him. What can we do? Appt at vets in morning so I'm bathing in warm water for now - vet says thats fine till tomorrow. Do we go to owner - live 3 doors away. We don't know them as we're renting and just moved in. Def un-neutered tom as neighbours know it and tom has attacked their dog. Do we report it? What proof do we have? Thought I'd ask as people who read this site very knowledgable.

Our Tom perked up a lot and looking after Patch and cuddlin him and licking his face to comfort him :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2007, 11:51:10 AM »
Good luck - but I would take Tom for a check up first, in case the lethargy is something else - it doesn't have to be sinister though, it could end up being something treatable, and by taking him sooner rather than later, you could be buying him more time.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2007, 12:02:21 PM »
Thats great Paulinee if you decide to take them afterall, they probably wouldnt mind 2 hours in a basket on your lap.
BA sound horrible!

Offline paulinee

• Kitten
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 19:27:26 PM »
 :thanks: Ruba
This is brilliant, thank you. I have enquired but only BA and was put off by what I heard (you duplicate my concerns). I've looked at Alitalia site and I'll take this further. the cats would love where we are as theres lots of land and fields and woods. South of Rome north of Naples. I will definitely do some more research. Tho Tom cat today isn't very well. He gets tired very quickly and just wants to sleep. He's not suffering at all. if I ever thought he was I'd get him to the vets but would love him to live out his natural life. he looks so fit and well then worries me by the lethargy at times (but he's an old puss). Patch is cuddled by my feet and making strange purring noises decibels must be road drill noise! His back is healing from the rogue tom cat attack and he's back to his normal loud noisy irritating self. Tom gives his a nudge now and again to shut him up but we still get the :Crazy: dawn chorus

Offline Ruba

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 17:09:28 PM »
Hi there paulinee

I happen to have info re flying cats to Italy as I plan to do the same in the future (or possibly rent/buy a van/caravan for the trip).

I understand you don't think they could make the journey, but plz hear me out, I hope the info could help.

If you fly with Alitalia, you are allowed to keep the cats next to you in the cabin, of course inside proper carriers that the company can hire out to you.  It costs 5 euros per kilo (around 2 pounds) and you can:

1 know where your pet is at all times
2 check on their well being
3 be sure they can breathe
4 be there to comfort them with your voice, or cover them a little if they need darkness

here's a link to the Alitalia site: http://www.alitalia.com/gb_en/home/index.htm?WT.srch=1
if you type "pets" in their search engine or call them up thy will confirm my tirade here! ;)

You can import animals to Italy 21 days after the rabies injection, as the 6 months rule doesn't apply there.
here's the relevant page:  http://www.alitalia.com/gb_en/your_travel/organize/special_services/domestic_animals.htm

British Airways will ONLY transport live animals in the cargo hold, but it  has been strongly recommended to me NOT TO DO SO (by a guy who used to work for an airline co).
That's because animals will be terrified of the revving engines as they are left to wait to be loaded with the other baggage, alone, and sometimes the care of the loaders is not exactly grand (you don't want to lose this luggage) and cases of animals gone missing after being thrown areound and their cage bust open have been reported before. 
Besides, in the cargo hold there often is no enough air (that's why flat nosed animals like persians and bulldogs can't be flied) and the animals struggle to breathe.

If you can keep them near you in the passenger cabin there should be no more hassle than a longer car ride.

You might want to consider the option of taking the two older guys to spend their retirement in the sun!!  The flight lasts only 2 hours.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 17:33:01 PM by Ruba »

Offline paulinee

• Kitten
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2007, 00:17:31 AM »
my Tom cat is beautiful; beautiful to look at beautiful temperament . Patch looks more or less the same. Another loveable affectionate puss. I cant find a pic to put on but one will be there soon. He's got more white though and a black patch over one eye. He's noisy and talkative and walks to heel like a dog does. Sings at 4 a.m to let everyone know he's around. Tom tolerates him but gives him a swipe now and again. If I do need to find them homes they'll have to be together. they're like an old couple who put up with each others foibles and grumps. Thank you all for reading about them and especially for putting pic of Tom on. Actually I think he's older than 18. My younger daughter is just 21 and we got Tom when she wasn't quite 3 years old, Patch isn't his brother. Tom's brother Kitty (his twin) was killed by a rogue tom cat when 4 months old so we got Patch from a farm. So he's slightly younger. maybe thats why Patch quacks coming from a farm. He likes to sit in next doors fish pond but he hates having a bath!! :Crazy: :rofl: :thanks:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2007, 21:58:27 PM »
Fingers crossed.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 20:33:45 PM »
I hope that face melts somebody soon  :)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 20:05:49 PM »
I've only received the pic of Tom today so this will help when peeps see his gorgeous mush  :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 18:30:52 PM »
Hes lovely  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
Have you had any luck with your contacts Dawn?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 13:14:03 PM »
blimey i didnt read that bit, no he looks in better nick than my fras lol.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 13:08:58 PM »
He's gorgeous and he certainly doesn't look 17/18  :Crazy:  :Crazy:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 13:02:39 PM »
gosh he has a good swipe of fraser doesnt he.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 12:57:47 PM »
Here's a pic of the gorgeous Tom for starters.......what a little beauty  :Luv:  :Luv:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 16:16:39 PM »
I hope you find good homes for them

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 15:00:25 PM »
Completely agree, Ela. These cats are obviously loved and I'm sure the decision to rehome was very difficult. Hope Wizz can help. :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 13:24:29 PM »
My first thought was the same as JackSprat and that is to contact Wizz and have a chat with her, details are on wizz-catz.co.uk.

It is a refreshing change for someone to think of their cats  and not wait until the last minute. Although I personally would wait until my little ones had lived their natural lifespan. Of course I don’t know the circumstances of your decision to go to Italy so that is by no means  getting at you. I am sure if at all possible you would wait because you obviously love them
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 05:03:36 AM »
thank you all so much for your postings. I didnt reaiise I shouldnt put a message on about homes wanted - someone recommended this site to me. I hope I find homes. We cannot not go to Italy - it'll be after March time next year. I hope we can sort for them. If not I really will think of staying here and my husband go over. They are family and love them to bits. Tom and his bladder? We have got litter trays around the house - sometimes he cant make it on time or he forgets where the trays are. He doesnt enjoy going outside much anymore, preferring to sleep on the bed.

Although it's not an advertising site, these babes do need somewhere sorting and I think it's great that you are not leaving it until last minute  :hug:  If you want to send me a pm with all the details in and a contact number, I'll put a few feelers out for you.  Good luck in finding them a new home.  Have you got any piccies of them?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 20:58:23 PM »
They sound lovely. I hope everything works out and you find them a home you're happy with before the big move!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 20:02:27 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs,

Sorry to hear you thinking of rehoming your furbabes.  Have you tried contacting any of the rescues in your area to see if they can help out:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html   follow the link and click on the map to find your local area.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline paulinee

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 19:53:16 PM »
thank you all so much for your postings. I didnt reaiise I shouldnt put a message on about homes wanted - someone recommended this site to me. I hope I find homes. We cannot not go to Italy - it'll be after March time next year. I hope we can sort for them. If not I really will think of staying here and my husband go over. They are family and love them to bits. Tom and his bladder? We have got litter trays around the house - sometimes he cant make it on time or he forgets where the trays are. He doesnt enjoy going outside much anymore, preferring to sleep on the bed.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 16:24:07 PM »
 :welcome:
I think your right in that the journey there would probably be more then they can cope with. I also agree with what Dawn says.
If you really have to rehome them contact your local rescues and try to home them straight from you. In my <limited> experience cats of that age dont do so well in a rescue enviroment where they have to share living quarters with other cats.

He does have the occasional accident which leaves him distraught but I think hey he's old and loving, Patch will never have an accident he will physically jump on your head to be let outside

Couldnt you fit a tray in somewhere for Tom to use? That way he wouldnt have to feel unhappy when he cant hold his bladder for long enough.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 14:54:27 PM »
Poor babes    :'(  :'(   I know this might sound awful but do you really have to move next year?  Can't you wait for the inevitable to happen?  We were considering moving abroad a few years ago, one of my dogs was elderly at the time but I couldn't bring myself to leave him if we moved.  We decided once he had gone, we would reconsider rather than putting him through the trauma of a new home or a long journey.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 21:16:53 PM »
I think the thing is that Pauline feels that it will be too stressful for the cats to travel that far.

Good luck finding these two a wonderful home. I'm sure someone on here can point you in the direction of a reputable rescue centre. There's a lovely lady called Wizz who's based in Sheffield and might be able to help.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 20:59:25 PM »
awww it seems an awful shame u have to rehome them now at there age and after theyve been with u all there lives  :(
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 20:12:44 PM »
Pauline can I just say although someone may be able to help you in rehoming your cats, this is not an advertising site. I hope they find good homes where ever it may be, by what date would you like them to be rehomed by? It will be a big change for them as they have been with you all of their lives.

Offline paulinee

• Kitten
home wanted for 2 old cats
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 19:52:44 PM »
 Hello. I'm new to this site. :hug:           We have 2 black and white male neutered cats ages 17/18. Had since they were 6 weeks old/young.  :P  :P
we currently rent house in Sheffield but we are moving to Italy next year. We don't think they will manage the trip there so may have to re-home them. They're beautiful cats and it'll break my heart but if they go to a really loving home then I want that. Tom is shy, he's sitting on my knee whilst I'm typing this. Patch thinks he's a duck at time and quacks. he talks to you a lot and is noisy. Patch recently got badly bitten and the vet thought he was adorable. He never moaned when the vet shaved his back and administered the treatment. As we're not going till next year this is really something for you to think about. the vet says cats average age is 14 -16 so these 2 have been well looked after. I've got photos which I can add soon. Tom looks like a big Felix cat but is tired and sleeps a lot. He does have the occasional accident which leaves him distraught but I think hey he's old and loving, Patch will never have an accident he will physically jump on your head to be let outside. Please let me know if any takers as and when. :thanks:

Link to CatChat