Author Topic: Do cats recognise photos?  (Read 1496 times)

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
Re: Do cats recognise photos?
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 12:43:56 PM »
i'm sure jasper knows what he's seeing on tv - he'll ignore most stuff, but goes mad for birds, meercats and elephants  :Luv:

i like to think he can recognise pics of me  :)  he definately knows my voice, i talk to him on the phone and he slavvers all over it and purrs like mad  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 12:24:35 PM »
Humans only see in 2 D.....its our perception that tells us it is 3 D! I remember watching a kitten sussing everything out and he tried to land on some dado rail......made me wonder was he building his perception up?  :Crazy:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 12:24:21 PM »
I know years ago when I went away for a week and left a friend catsitting I pinned a photo of me and my (then) partner over the food bowls so they could see me! :innocent: Yep, I was a bit away with the fairies in my youth. ;) (Saying that, I'm not vastly improved now come to think of it!)
:rofl: when me and OH went away to celebrate christmas for a few days I pinned a christmas card up above Jamesons food bowls! I even got OH to sign it, although he thought I was mad!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 12:13:04 PM »
I think with TV they can see moving images but they might not be able to see what it is. Lexy will stare at my laptop if moving smilies are on, and reacts to sounds but ignores everything else.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »
I was told because it's flat (ie not 3D) they can't see anything really. Not sure how true that is. I know years ago when I went away for a week and left a friend catsitting I pinned a photo of me and my (then) partner over the food bowls so they could see me! :innocent: Yep, I was a bit away with the fairies in my youth. ;) (Saying that, I'm not vastly improved now come to think of it!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
 :rofl: very funny, yes it has been of those kind of weeks, and it's still only Wednesday!! Think I had too much time on my hands last night whilst OH was watching football  >:(

I know they're not going to see a photo and recognise and think like we do, but I was just wondering what if anything they recognise in picture form.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 11:52:50 AM »
I doubt it. Although recently I got new tattoos (butterflies) on my arm, and Jameson sat staring at my arm for ages, as if he was looking at them, but I know he was just confused by the smell! Same goes with youtube - he'll ''watch'' it - but really he's just trying to work out where the sound is coming from (esp when I watch cat videos!)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 11:25:25 AM »
Did you forget to take your tablet today Em?  :innocent:

Clapton does watch cat videos on youtube but it might be the noise more than the image that he is interested in.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:26:51 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
Do cats recognise photos?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 09:53:09 AM »
Morning,

Just wondering really, and probably a really silly question, but do cats recognise photos of their owners? Just Polls was sat near some photos last night and it got me thinking.

Emma

Link to CatChat