Author Topic: Asparagus is poisonous to cats!  (Read 4709 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Asparagus is poisonous to cats!
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 20:48:48 PM »
Oh, that's tricky. Given a choice between reading and wine I would have to plump for the book every time. Fortunately I don't have that problem until after the fourth glass. Not even then if I pace myself. Most nites it is one or two. Not every night mind ............ :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 20:40:11 PM »
I do like my "bedtime drink"  :evillaugh:

The only thing s, I like to read in bed and that is sometimes difficult after  1 or 3 large glasses of wine  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 20:22:57 PM »
smoking 50 a day and 1-2 bottles of wine  :evillaugh: - (have cut down on the wine a bit since then :Crazy:

Nooooo the wine is the medicine - a good shiraz will keep you out of the grave for a long time (well, that's my excuse) and if there is no shiraz then I just have to settle for pinot grigio or whatever else is going (heh heh  :evillaugh:)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 20:20:44 PM »
You too? I rang the after hours nurse in NZ when a pain in my chest was particularly bad and the next thing I knew there was an ambulance at the door and I spent the night in hospital wired up to all manner of machines :doh:. Nothing wrong of course. I took great pleasure in returing to the outpatients for my obligatory checkup as I knew that, despite being a smoker, my bloods, eegs etc were well below the risk threshhold :evillaugh:. The doctor had been holding forth at length about it so I was feeling rather smug. Must do something about the smoking though as I suspect it contributes to the indigestion ...  :shify:

Funny, it was a kiwi nurse a few years ago that said I didn't deserve "normal" blood pressure etc, smoking 50 a day and 1-2 bottles of wine  :evillaugh: - (have cut down on the wine a bit since then :Crazy:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 20:15:45 PM »
You too? I rang the after hours nurse in NZ when a pain in my chest was particularly bad and the next thing I knew there was an ambulance at the door and I spent the night in hospital wired up to all manner of machines :doh:. Nothing wrong of course. I took great pleasure in returing to the outpatients for my obligatory checkup as I knew that, despite being a smoker, my bloods, eegs etc were well below the risk threshhold :evillaugh:. The doctor had been holding forth at length about it so I was feeling rather smug. Must do something about the smoking though as I suspect it contributes to the indigestion ...  :shify:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 20:02:56 PM »
Well I'm one of those people that has cancer or a heart attack when they have indigestion - so I assumed I had kidney failure or something this morning (shows how often I eat asparagus)  :evillaugh:

Anyway - cats find the most disgusting smells "interesting" :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 20:03:30 PM by Mark »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 19:55:24 PM »
Never fed it to cats, but have to have a giggle at Mark.  :evillaugh:  Would have hated to have been one of the cats walking into the loo after you left it.  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 19:55:06 PM »
Do you do France runs Julie?

If you take me with you, I'll be your best mate  :evillaugh:

We are always saying that we should go over shopping being so close to Dover/Folkestone etc but I'm too scared to drive on the right and OH doesn't have a licence to drive here. I would love to do a hypermarket run to get some "Le Chat" washing tablets, wine etc.

Oh Well
Back to Asparagus - has anyone tried the asparagus in Wagamama? - it is lovely, it comes in a dark brown sticky barbeque type sauce  :drool; :drool;

Funny that onions etc are "lilies"  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 19:55:49 PM by Mark »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 18:47:27 PM »
Garlic is poisonous to cats..?  :-:

I spend a lot of time in France and bring home French cat food. They shove all kinds of veg and herbs in it, carrots, corriander, aubergine... I'm sure I've seen garlic listed as an ingredient.  :-: I best go and check.  :scared:

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 18:27:07 PM »
I was in B&Q the other day and seen some gorgeous orange flowers, I was going to buy them untill I read the label, Lillies  :(

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 18:23:11 PM »
and here's me thinking it was an aphrodisiac. Thanks for the warning ........ Will avoid asparagus sandwiches on romantic picnics in future!! (Oh, and I won't ever feed it to the cats, there are limits to what i would share with anyone ...........

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Asparagus is poisonous to cats!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 14:48:17 PM »
I know there's not much chance of any of us giving it to our cats but I found out today it is part of the Lily family, along with garlic, onions and leeks.

How did I find this out you may ask.

I had asparagus (a whole pack!) last night and was a little bit concerned about a strange smell this morning when I was in the bathroom  :sick:  :evillaugh:

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/43/1671_51089

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 15:24:57 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat