Author Topic: any "fresh air tips" please ???  (Read 3455 times)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Re: any "fresh air tips" please ???
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 18:26:10 PM »
Memphis has Toxic poos too. His food at the moment is Felix/Gourmet Perle and Arden Grange. When he's on Orijen (which is his next food) his poops smell 100x worse than normal - and normal is  :sick:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 18:16:53 PM »
Noah's poops don't smell at all on raw but stink the entire flat out on any dry food containing cereals or Feline Fayre tuna. :sick: The worst dry foods seemed to be Arovit First Class (rice-based) and James Wellbeloved (ditto): RC made him scratch his ears and he refused Wafcol. His poops only smell close up on a mix of Bozita pate, Orijen with probiotics, Pets at Home Purely wet, raw eggs and VIYO prebiotic cat milk (not all at once  :rofl: ).

I can honestly say the improvement in poop smell and frequency was within a day or two, but I am lucky that Noah is a greedy monkey so most new foods were accepted with gusto! You could try a course of probiotics/ friendly bacteria such as Lacto-B, or follow some of the online guidance for how to slowly transition your cat to a raw/ different diet? Royal Canin and Hills Science both contain cereals and cats don't have a dietary requirement for carbohydrates. I take the litter tray to the bathroom to scoop and flush in one hit, you could then leave the extractor fan on if you have one?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 22:07:09 PM »
You think you have got problems - smelly Bengly poos, now that is a problem  :sick:  :sick:  :sick: especially having 4 of them  :rofl:

I burn yankee candles when I am at home and that soon disperses the smells - you have my sympathy  :rofl:

TBH they dont smell as bad when they are on a raw diet and they only have Orijen and Arden Grange sensitive dry (no grains or cereals)
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 21:59:14 PM »
I am planning on trying Defu organic.

I struggled to shift the small 300g (i think) bag between 9 here so wouldnt reccomend it  :evillaugh: they dont like arden grange much or orijen, applaws wasnt far behind these 3  :innocent:

Yarrah is good but the tins have rocketed in price, i first got the foil trays in sainsburys, then found zooplus who soon hiked the price up  >:( havnt tried the dry yarrah

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 20:53:30 PM »
Oh Claire  :evillaugh: :rofl: :rofl:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 19:22:46 PM »
I'm guessing it's the same principle as matches in the bathroom?  :evillaugh:

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 18:50:42 PM »
I'm lucky as Bonnie's poos don't smell but I'm going to suggest something on the same lines as Kirst.

I use candles in the kitchen to get rid of fish/curry smells - so it might work for poo too.

Doesn't have to be scented or expensive, just a cheap candle will do.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 08:08:47 AM »
The problem with Alice's is even if you bag & bin straight away, they can linger  :sick: - I find "superhit" incense is good. It is made by the same company that makes Nag Champa but I think it is a much nicer smell. They also make a lovely one called Sunrise.

This is the cheapest I can find Super Hit at the moment. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nag-Champa-Satya-Super-Hit-Incense-Sticks-15g-x-12Packs-/330331644881?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Fragrances&hash=item4ce94ce3d1 - not bad for 12 boxes of 15  :)

Prices vary wildly on eBay. One seller is selling one box for £2.75 + £1.99 P&P  :Crazy: - If you have a shop that sells it, they usually charge around £1 a box.

I find that floral air fresheners just mingle and make a  :sick: smell.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 08:11:32 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 06:46:57 AM »
Our two cats generally aren't bad really.   They now mainly eat Whiskas Supermeat, Classic and Hi-Life and Gourmet pates, I buy them other things for a change but they tend to go off most of them after a few tins.  They also have meat/fish that we have like chicken, beef,  salmon etc.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 06:48:01 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 06:44:32 AM »
I tend to go with the oil burner route - the body shops green tea one is a personal favourite! ;D

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 00:32:36 AM »
Darcy poos are awful, at first I thought it was just because of his diet from when he was a stray, but they haven't improved at all with his changed diet. On the other hand, Pepsi's improved dramatically with high meat wet food and the occassional chicken wing, as well as being a lot firmer. I put them into a nappy bag, tie the handles, and put them straight in the bin and I find that this helps to remove the smell quite quickly, or you could invest in a Litter Locker or similar?

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 00:04:17 AM »

You could try the old essential oils on the light bulbs trick although less effective when on long summer days.

Although I doubt energy saving bulbs get hot enough?  :evillaugh:

The microcell pots are a good bet. Maybe worth getting a few to justify the P&P. They last about 5 or 6 weeks
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:06:58 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 23:38:12 PM »
Mark, she's talking about the screens with velcro :evillaugh:

I wouldn't be convinced my two would let a little thing like velcro stop them! Also, £25.99 for a bit of hemmed mesh and velcro squares :Crazy: I'd be making them myself!

Dave's poos are toxic, always have been and I've tried just about every food on the market. I hear though that a raw diet makes a huge difference. I think some cats are just naturally :sick:

You could try the old essential oils on the light bulbs trick although less effective when on long summer days.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 23:30:46 PM »
Not sure what the best one is  :evillaugh:

I can't believe that living is easy charges £11.99 inc delivery for 2 microcell pots. I assumed they were the big ones. You are better off getting them direct from Xeria for £1.19 + VAT. I don't know that any of the things I mentioned velcro one. The micropots are only about 2" big. Xeria also make the best urine remover I have tried (I recommended it to Helen the other day)

They claim the microcell pots can neutralize the small of dead bodies, cancer & burns  :sick: (that means it is in with a chance of working on Alice poo  :evillaugh: )

Working from the other end, you could try Arden Grange or Wafcol salmon & potato dry food. I tried both both they wouldn't eat it. I am planning on trying Defu organic. The only problem is, not many of these foods have a senior version.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/yarrah/79072#composition

I am also going to try Yarrah wet & dry - both made with organic chicken. The dry does have corn in though.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 00:43:18 AM by Mark »

Offline McHaggis

• Adult Cat
  • Haggis & Rosie
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 23:17:34 PM »

mmmm so what is the best POOP smell friendly food then ???
Oh I see what you mean only problem is my window frame is quite narrow and not much for any velcro to get a hold of but i could email and ask . I like the idea though .. thanks
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 23:18:21 PM by McHaggis »

A cat makes all the difference between coming home to an empty house and coming home :) :) :)

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 23:16:10 PM »
I find the 'natural' room fresheners from PAH are quite nice, can't think of the name of them  :-: They are the gel like ones, you know, where you peel of the front bit.

They have the gel ones in Wilkinsons - they are 99p - They are called the EBA easy pouch - I'm sure they used to be called something else. They have Summer Fruits and Jasmine. The summer fruits one is  :drool; - I use them in the car and they last at least 2 months (I put one under the seat) They also used to sell the natural spray but I haven't seen it for a while. The spray is called IBA odour zapper - the blue one is also  :drool; - Alice's poos are toxic  :sick: - I keep a supply of Wilkinson's medium food bags ready to bag & bin as soon as she goes  :evillaugh: . You can also buy odour pots. Quite expensive but they do work. They are a much more concentrated version of Oust etc (I wouldn't buy Oust as it is made by P&G) whereby they change the molecular structure of smells to neutralize them.

You can buy them here http://www.livingiseasy.co.uk/products/cat5/cat499 (price is for 2 large pots) /XERIA_RX17_MICROCELL_AIR_FRESHENER_AND_FOUL_ODOUR_REMOVER_IN_DISPOSABLE_POT._WITH_HIGH_PERFORMANCE_AIRX_ODOUR_ELIMINATION_TECHNOLOGY._FOR_CONTINUOUS_AIR_ODOUR_REMOVAL._Unique_non_drip_resealable_microcellular_plastic_pots._Pack_of_Two/index.html

Or cheaper from the maker - they also sell mini ones that are big enough for a small cloakroom (I use them in a small toilet/shower room)
they are only £1.12 but the postage bumps it up. http://www.xeria.co.uk/kolist45/1/Full%20Product%20List/13/RX17mini.htm

Incense is also quite good  :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 23:04:32 PM »

My two spolit brats little treasures  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: are being fed Royal canine, Hills and Applaws which is all high meat content food

But RC and Hills both have cereals and/or rice I think - definitely do if its the dry, don't know about the pouches.

I think those mesh panels would still work on pushing up windows wouldnt they? wouldnt you just attach to the outer frame as with an opening out window?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 23:03:07 PM »

My two spolit brats little treasures  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: are being fed Royal canine, Hills and Applaws which is all high meat content food

I like the idea of the window thingy but i need one for a slidey up and down window and not an open out window as we have old fashioned windows but i'll have a look  - thanks for the tip !!xx

If real fresh air is the ideal for you then looks like Cataire screens would work as it says Vertical or Horizontal sliding: With all types of sliding windows the screen may be fixed inside or outside. - http://www.cataire.co.uk/index.php 

MM was asking about them recently http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,32651.0.html

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 23:00:05 PM »
Pootypants has always had a backside like a cow ever since we got him  :rofl:

Trouble is he won't eat the higher grade of food on a regular basis, he much prefers Felix AGAIL to anything else, but will also eat Whiskers.  I've tried him on Natures Menu which has a variable rate of being eating, Hi-Life, and a couple of other higher meat content food, but he just doesn't seem to like them  :tired:

Has Felix AGAIL got cereals in Claire? what about the Whiskas - which one does he eat? Supermeat (in the 400g tins) and Simply (in the pouches) don't have any cereals. The other one that my lot like is Classic (cheap as chips, but no cereals, artificial preservatives etc)

Offline McHaggis

• Adult Cat
  • Haggis & Rosie
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 22:56:20 PM »

I like the idea of the window thingy but i need one for a slidey up and down window and not an open out window as we have old fashioned windows but i'll have a look  - thanks for the tip !!xx

A cat makes all the difference between coming home to an empty house and coming home :) :) :)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 22:52:17 PM »
Pootypants has always had a backside like a cow ever since we got him  :rofl:

Trouble is he won't eat the higher grade of food on a regular basis, he much prefers Felix AGAIL to anything else, but will also eat Whiskers.  I've tried him on Natures Menu which has a variable rate of being eating, Hi-Life, and a couple of other higher meat content food, but he just doesn't seem to like them  :tired:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 22:49:55 PM »
I've seen these mesh window guards which would allow you to have your windows open maybe? http://www.flat-cats.co.uk/flat_cats_download_sizing.htm

I find the 'natural' room fresheners from PAH are quite nice, can't think of the name of them  :-: They are the gel like ones, you know, where you peel of the front bit.

What food do they eat? might be something in their diet causing bad smells - some cat foods with cereals and grains can make the poop smell worse than normal.

Offline Shiroi-Neko

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ai-Chan & Tora
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 22:45:04 PM »
What a bout oils with reed sticks and natral fragrance in a oil burner ( only wen one is home don't want fire to happen
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 22:46:26 PM by Shiroi-Neko »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 22:44:07 PM »
I wish I knew the answer too, Poot being an indoor cat we have the windows only open a fraction, and his backside is purely toxic, it can stink out the whole ground floor  :sick: :sick:

We just do a small squirt of Oust or similar, and put the fan on in the kitchen to circulate the air a bit, works to a degree, but not ideal!

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline McHaggis

• Adult Cat
  • Haggis & Rosie
any "fresh air tips" please ???
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 22:41:18 PM »
 :help: :help:

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Why cant cat poop smell of freshly cut grass or lavender ????
and sweet smelling cat food , wouldnt that be heavenly ?? :Luv: :Luv:

Anyone got any ideas for fresh air without spraying lots of air fresheners, when its difficult to leave a window or door wide open incase precious kitties escape ???
I am using a spray but know its probably not good for my kitties and the smell is  :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:
My recent vain attempt for a fresh smelling life was to turn on the empty tumble drier with a Lenor tumble drier sheet inside for a few minutes

Thanks
The Poop Disposer person for Haggis and Rosie

Link to CatChat