Author Topic: Can anyone help  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
Re: Can anyone help
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 18:05:04 PM »
Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear about that. It's so hard to lose a much-loved cat.

It does sound like poisoning to me, maybe some pest control stuff but not Warfarin. Trouble is, some cats will always have a nibble at prey that they catch (rodents, birds, bugs) and if the prey has taken some kind of bait, then that poison will affect the cat as well. Or maybe they've gotten into someone's dustbin or compost heap and had a rummage in there - those symptoms also sound like possibly lilly poisonoing.

Most poisoning tends to be inadvertent as a lot of folks have no idea that everyday substances can be toxic to cats. It wouldn't do any harm to ask if any of the neighbours haven't put down any rat poison or something.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 22:05:44 PM »
I am so sorry for your loss, I know how painful it is to lose a pet. You'll be in my thoughts.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 17:39:22 PM »
I think maybe you are right Maz, you have your happy memories to remember her by.
Please spay your cat

Offline maz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 17:05:36 PM »
Hi everyone,

Many thanx to you all for your suggestions. I guess we'll never know the reason why and perhaps maybe it's best we don't, at least we can remember the little angels as they were when they were  alive and happy. We will always love them and will always remember them in our hearts.  RIP Molly and Romeo.

Luv

Maz

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 10:30:21 AM »
I can't offer any help, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss.

RIP, Molly. Hope you and Romeo are having lots of fun together. :RIP:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 10:27:50 AM »
Sorry to hear about Molly and her brother.  My first thought was poisoning too, although I suppose you'll never be able to prove it.  It might be worth asking around to see if any other cats have died recently with similar symptoms.  Of course it may not have been a deliberate poisoning - they may have got into some anti freeze or something.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 10:23:19 AM »
awwww im so sorry
rest in peace little ones

[attachment deleted by admin]
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 14:16:34 PM »
Maz,

So sorry to hear about Molly and Romeo.  As has already been said it does sound like poison .... of course this doesn't mean it was malicious.  

Without a PM there really is no way of knowing what the cause of death was.

http://www.animalpeoplenews.org/IMPORTANT_MATS/catPoisoning.html
http://www.petplace.com/cats/rodenticide-poisoning-in-cats/page1.aspx

Please accept me sincerest condolences.

RIP Molley and Romeo .... play hard at the bridge little ones.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline maz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 14:08:22 PM »
Strange thing is Romeo's owners have another cat, not from the same litter,and he used to follow Romeo and he's fine. My sister in law's cat, goes evrywhere where Romeo and Molly used to go and he's fine, which is why we think it's more a genetic type thing, what do you think?

Luv
Maz

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 14:01:51 PM »
I think you may have been fobbed off, the Police have a duty to uphold the law and 'causing unnecessary suffering to an animal' is against the law under the Protection of Animals act 1911.  It can be prosecuted by both the RSPCA and the Police, the difficulty would be finding the person responsible if these poor babies had been poisoned and of course the Police would have to be satisfied that the cat had been poisoned so would probably not be able to act unless a PM had been done.  The law is changing on 6th April and it will then come under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 but it will still be an offence to cause unnecessary suffering.

If you suspect poisoning ringing around other vets, CP etc may bring more cases to light and then the public can be warned to be vigilant for baited food left down.  In my area both the local CP and RSPCA had a media campaign and some of the owners put notices on lamposts etc.

Hope you can get to the bottom of this, losing your little one is hard enough without not knowing what happened to her.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 14:06:32 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline maz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 13:51:02 PM »
Thank you for your replies everyone.

When Molly died we also thought that she might have been poisoned so we rang the police and was politely told," we dont deal with cat deaths"and said there was nothing they could do! Romeo's owners did not have a Pm done, they were too upset, which I can understand. So if anyone can shed any light on this, please do.

Luv maz

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 13:40:16 PM »
Helen I think you are right, it sounds like poisoning especially with the foaming mouths but if there is something genetic which could cause these symptons it will be good to get that clarified.

Maz, has a postmortem been done on Romeo do you know?

RIP litte ones. So very sorry for your loss, but you can play hard at the Bridge now. xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 13:26:19 PM »
Sorry to hear about Romeo, hope things are getting a little easier with losing Molly too.  I lost my little girl on Monday so I know what you are going through.

Did they both go outside?  If they did something that occured to me was that they may have been poisoned.  Where I live there was a spate of cats dying, post mortems revealed that they had been poisoned with antifreeze.  I don't know what the symptoms of poisoning would be but I would guess they could be similar to what you described.  If you think they may have been poisoned I would urge you to contact your local CP, RSPCA and all the local vets to make them aware.  They may think thay have isolated cases whereas there could be more little ones having gone through this.

There are others on here who are much more knowledgable about cat illnesses so the symptoms may indicate something else, I'm sure they will be along soon...

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 13:25:20 PM »
Hi Maz,

What a tragically sad story, I feel so sorry for you and Romeo's owner.

Play hard at the bridge little ones.

With sympathies.

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline maz

• Adult Cat
Can anyone help
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 13:17:32 PM »
Hi everybody,
                   Sorry I haven't been on for a while, but I'm back now.

I am here to see if anyone can help me with a quandry....

My little cat Molly, unfortunately died nearly 5 weeks ago, it was very sudden and very shocking. The thing is, her little brother who lived  near me,  died yesterday of near enough the same thing. Very strange. When Molly died, she  was frothing at the mouth and she coughed or vomited(not sure which) something up(sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone ) and she was bleeding from the mouth as well. The thing is, her brother Romeo, did the same thing, only difference was he didn't bring anything up like Molly did, but otherwise it was the same thing.  It makes me wonder if they both had an aneurism or something,or a genetic condition and had it since birth, it does seem strange that 2 cats from the same litter have both died in the same way! It's also strange that they were both black and white, almost identical, strange. Obviously Romeo's owners were devastated and the first thing they did was to ask me about Molly and as I say it was near enough the same thing in my opinion. I am waiting to see the person who we got the cats from to enquire about the health of the mother cat and see if any of the other kittens from the litter have had any problems, I hope they haven't and also to see if previous litters have had problems similar to ours. Unfortunately when Molly died I could not afford to have a PM done to find out what happened, so it will always be a mystery.  If anyone can come up with any suggestions as to what it could be that took both Molly and Romeo,I would be most grateful to hear from you.

May I just say RIP Romeo, play hard at the bridge little man, Molly's waiting for you.

Thank you all for looking at this post, you are all lovely people.

:RIP: Romeo

Luv
Maz

Link to CatChat