Author Topic: Desparate  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
Re: Desparate
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 17:55:05 PM »
 Just caught up with this, fingers and paws crossed  :hug:

any updates   :shy:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 08:15:36 AM »
Fingers crossed for them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 21:40:31 PM »
So pleased these two are sorted ... if your Aunt's friend follows wizz's advice then I'm sure Timothy will settle in OK.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 15:05:13 PM »
Pleased to hear these two are now sorted!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 10:23:08 AM »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 09:24:54 AM »
That's great news!

Do you think he will be OK with two other cats? They are elderly and very much house cats and Timothy is an outside cat- I cannot see him putting up with staying in the house for very long as you are supposed to do initially aren't you?

Does anyone have the link to Wizz's guide to introducing new cats into an existing household for KM?  I can't find it...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline kmrowley

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 07:53:18 AM »
Hello everyone

Good news, a friend of my aunt has taken Lucy.  She has other cats and says she will try it for a few weeks and see how they get on.  If it doesn't work, as you said, there may be more availability in the various rescues etc. 

I have the feliway spray (£17!) and am just hoping that Timothy reappears before tonight ( he just turned up for breakfast but has gone off again) as we drove up here last night (three hours) and have to travel a further hour on top of that tonight to get him to my sister's.  I could not spray the basket last night as the friend borrowed it to take Lucy!

Do you think he will be OK with two other cats? They are elderly and very much house cats and Timothy is an outside cat- I cannot see him putting up with staying in the house for very long as you are supposed to do initially aren't you?

Thanks for your concern-you are obviously all very caring people- I am more a guinea pig girl- despite kids being grown up we still have them- on number 8 now (Missy and she rules the house- indoor guinea pig and runs round the kitchen squeaking every time the fridge is opened!). She has just recovered from mites and ringworm- never buy a pet from one of those pet supermarkets!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 21:23:47 PM »
Did you check the www.catchat.org site for rescues in that area with which you can register Lucy?  Even if they cannot take her in, they can effect a house-to-house check if necessary.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline kmrowley

• Kitten
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 20:58:51 PM »
Hello

As of tonight, still no home for Lucy but OK for Timothy. Going back up tomorrow night to keep trying but running out of options.  Will bring Timothy back to my sister Berkshire thu pm.  Anyone in 20/30 mile radius of Skipton willing to take Lucy?  I can get her there, I have one basket which I will need later for Timothy.   :(

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Desperate
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 13:21:11 PM »
Just wondered if there is any update on Lucy and Timothy?

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 17:43:09 PM »
feliway is a cat pheremone, it is not, strictly speaking, a sedative, but it does have a calming effect on cats. Smidgen, when brought from Cheshire to Kent had it sprayed in his box and he let out maybe three squeaks in the entire trip. On the way to the vet the other day, without benefit of feliway, he squeaked all the way there and back. It is also useful if you are introducing a new cat to your present brood, or if taking a cat to unfamiliar surroundings. You can either get spray (useful to topical applications) and a plug-in version which works like plug in air fresheners, but is to soothe the feline population. Does not smell unless the house is kept really enclosed, but it works miracles.

Oh and the cage sounds just great. Rememer to check it is fastened well, some have four fastenings, not just the ones at the top.

Offline kmrowley

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 17:32:14 PM »
There is a basket with a plastic grid front cover which has straps to secure it.  What is feliway- a sedative I hope?!

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 16:31:56 PM »
ps spelt desperate correctly now- it was bugging me!

me too!!! lol, hate mis-spellings. Glad your sister may pitch in, it really is a horrible job when you are not in your home patch and so much to do before you leave,have been there believe me. Transporting a cat is not that hard so long as you have the proper equipment. A proper cat crate is essential (don't think you can do it in a cardboard box or pillowslip because you will have a thoroughly hysterical cat loose in your lap at 70 miles an hour on the M1 - aaargh.)

Trains are also willing to carry them if they are accompanied.

If you can get some feliway spray to put in the crate about half an hour before you load up (or better still, put the cats bedding in the crate overnight so it sleeps in there voluntarily, also sprayed with feliway) it will probably travel better. Do remember some cats sing a solo serenade for the entire journey and it can be a little wearing at times.

Hope you find somewhere for the little porker too, she sounds as if she needs da bird, the toy we are all raving about, so as to get some exercise... :Luv:

Offline kmrowley

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 16:13:55 PM »
Hello everyone

Yes Lucy DEFINITELY too big for catflap!  My sister may take Timothy- she lives hours away too so I am very apprehensive about transporting him, never having done it before.  Any tips?

However, my sister cannot take on Lucy who needs much more attention.

So, still looking.

Thanks for the support and hints so far.

ps spelt desperate correctly now- it was bugging me!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 14:06:18 PM »
if there is a cat flap, can you not just take the flap off? That way they can come and go and you don't need to leave the door open all the time? The cat who has difficulties when the flap is on, will be happy to use it once this scary moving thing is gone.

I suspect (although of course I may be wrong) that Lucy is a bit podgy for a cat flap, rather than scared of it?

K, have you checked the local rescues on www.catchat.org (every UK area is covered)?  You could also contact the folks at Cat Chat (it is a rescue and rehoming resource) by email or I can do that for you, if you confirm you would like me to.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 13:46:22 PM »
HI Karen  :welcome: to Purrs. so sorry about your auntie.  I hope Timmy & Lucy find a loving home , we will try our best to help. Pics would be great and i can if you like pop them on the news section on the front page if you like.
 :Luv:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 11:17:15 AM »
if there is a cat flap, can you not just take the flap off? That way they can come and go and you don't need to leave the door open all the time? The cat who has difficulties when the flap is on, will be happy to use it once this scary moving thing is gone.

Offline kmrowley

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 10:52:08 AM »
I could ask the neighbours to feed them both in the morning and then leave Lucy out during the day until they get back.  There is an outside old kennel for protection and the weather is warm at the moment.  My auntie was always in so she just left the door open but I know a lot of cats go out all day don't they?  She always locked Lucy in overnight anyway and she was OK. Timothy is OK as he can manage the catflap. They are just not used to being locked out all day.  Of course that still doesn't solve the long term problem of rehoming them and I have to empty the house etc.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 09:05:04 AM »
  I live 200 miles away and and cannot take them on.

I appreciate you say you cannot take them on, but do you have just one room where you can keep them until a rescue can take them in, I know in September things start picking up again for rescues as after the summer holidays people seem to want to adopt. All the cats would need is a room , water bowl and feeding at least twice a day and perhaps a radio in the room and a few cuddles a day, of course a litter tray is essential and if you use something like the wood pellets there should be no urine smell.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 17:09:15 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline kmrowley

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 08:50:51 AM »
Yes it is about forty minutes from Leeds. Re the suggestion about autofeeders, the problem is that Lucy cannot get through a catflap so the door has to remain open during the day which poses a security risk obviously- the neighbours would otherwise feed them whilst I get something sorted out; however they are at work during the day so cannot keep an eye on the house. It is really complicated and I must go home by tomorrow as I have to work and have a family and house to look after.

Thanks Dawn, I have taken pics with my camera but can't get them on to this pc as the connectors are back in Gloucestershire!  Will get them developed today and put them in shop windows etc though

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 20:10:10 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs and I am sorry to hear it is in such circumstances.

Am I right in thinking Skipton is near Leeds?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 19:42:57 PM »
If you can send me a couple of pics, I can get them on my Rehoming Page......I'm in North Wales so not a million miles away.  My email is on my profile, xxx

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 19:24:17 PM »
Hello there and welcome to Purrs.

I'm very sorry to hear the news about your Auntie.

The problem is most of the rescues are full to bursting at the moment, what with kitten season, and it's very difficult to rehome during the holiday period.

I live in the Midlands, so can't help personally, but isn't there anybody locally, who can at least pop in once a day and feed these cats?
Or if you are just going away for the weekend, purchase a couple of auto-feeders.  Not ideal, I know, but better than nothing.

The best thing is to get them on a waiting list, so eventually a rescue can take them in.

Good luck, I hope you manage to get something sorted.

Jas.

Offline kmrowley

• Kitten
Desparate
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 18:50:04 PM »
Hello everyone in the Skipton area.  My auntie has just died unexpectedly, leaving two cats.  I live 200 miles away and and cannot take them on.  They are about 10-12 years old.  Timothy is a healthy independent cat, no trouble.  Lucy is also well but overweight and uses a cat litter tray.  I promised my auntie that I would not have them PTS but I must go home at the weekend to my family. I have tried every cat rescue, RSPCA, the vet, PDSA, neighbours and friends to no avail. 

The cats are not inseparable as they tolerated but didn't love each other! They could be split up.  Timothy would make a great family pet as he is very lovable.  Lucy is a nice cat too but just plain lazy and a good diet would probably sort her out.

They have been well looked after and as far as I know are vaccinated, neutered and so on as they originally came from a rescue centre (which no longer exists).  I am willling to make a donation to help any centres that might be interested to care for them. I so hope someone can help me, I am desparate to honour my auntie's wishes but am running out of places to try.

K
ps here is a pic of lucy, I can't find one of Timothy yet but will keep looking

Link to CatChat