Author Topic: loving home waiting for kitten liverpool area  (Read 1976 times)

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Monty and Moses.
Re: loving home waiting for kitten liverpool area
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 16:10:12 PM »
Its nice to hear you are taking your responsibilities seriously, In all fairness when I was thinking about getting another cat after losing our two elderly girls last year I was initially shocked at how much it costs to adopt, it does sound a lot when you are offering a home to an unwanted animal.
The trouble is even if you find a "free to good home" kitten, you will still have to find around £50 to pay for inoculations and neutering as it's unlikely you will find anyone giving away kittens that have been vaccinated and pet insurance plans do not cover either of these costs.
All I can suggest is that you put a little away each week until you do have enough.
As you say at least if you go to a proper rescue you can be assured that the kitten you take will have been well looked after irrespective of cost and you are not giving your money to someone just trying to make a quick buck by irresponsible breeding.
One of the kittens I have here now has an umbilical hernia that will need operating on before he can be homed, and mum needed vet treatment for a nasty bite. It makes you wonder how on earth these charities manage to find the funds.
I do hope you manage to find a way round this.
Lorna.
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££ 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline sukikitty

• Kitten
  • Slave to: suki
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 15:48:58 PM »
Hi,
No offence taken :Luv:
i fully appreciate what has been said, but in fairness I have brought up my cat suki since kitten hood and have provided her with all she needs. i made sure she was inocculated is wormed and flead regularly and has been spayed. i also pay for pet insurance every month and would add my new kitten to that plan. all of these expenses are monthly or weekly and not lump sum amounts so i would have no problems financially in looking after a new kitten. A £50 payment all in 1 go however is not easy for me to find and i tink there must be many willing and loving homes out there who are being denied the chance to adopt an unwanted pet because their finances can't stretch quite that far
PS: Suki came to us free of charge at 10 weeks old after being found with her a little brother by a neighbour. so you could say we came by her easily but i would lay down my life for her and would starve to make sure she had everything she needed. and would do so for any new arrival.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 15:55:49 PM by sukikitty »

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Monty and Moses.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 15:02:29 PM »
Hi,
I am currently fostering a mother and her litter of kittens for the Cats Protection League and soon will be working with them to home them.
I do hope you won't be offended by what I have to say, these are my thoughts and not nescessarily shared by others:
I understand that it can be hard to find £50 in one go, however cat charities ask for this for more than one reason, the first which has already been explained is that the "donation" will usually cover the cost of first vaccinations and neutering (You get a voucher for this if the kitten isn't old enough to have the procedure at the time of homing), the cost of this alone would come to at least £50 at most vets anyway with no account taken for the costs of caring for the queen and raising the kittens.

Another reason not touched on is to ensure that the person taking on the kitten/s has sufficient financial means to fund care should the kitten become ill. If you can't afford to pay £50 now, what if you have unforseen vets bills, or can you afford pet insurance etc?

This is a quote from a book refering to breeding of rabbits, but I feel it is appliciable to any animal "Protect your babies with a respectable price since it is human nature not to care for something obtained too easily"

Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££ 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline sukikitty

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 14:18:20 PM »
Thank you for your reply x
I appreciate the cost of caring for a kitten prior to rehoming. Unfortunately I am disabled and as such am on benefits. A £50 lump sum donation is too much for me to afford in one go. I suggested to the rescue centre that got back to me that I could make a number of donations over a couple of months to donate this amount but they couldn't agree to that.  I can assure you that I'm not looking for a freebie and would be happy to donate £50 over a period of time to any rescue that we were able to adopt from. I maybe should have explained that a bit more in my original post. 
thanks
andrea x

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 14:01:00 PM »
 :welcome:

Purrs itself is not a rescue but independent rescues use the site to rehome. As such most will ask the £50 donation when rehoming a cat or kitten. This is to help cover running costs for the rescues, most of the time this is a fraction of what it has cost to get a cat or kitten to the rehoming stage. They will have been fleaed, wormed, vaccinated if old enough and also neutered if old enough so the donation isn't in any way excessive. Just something for you to think about :shy:

Have a look on the rehoming pages, lots of mogs waiting for new home there ;)

Offline sukikitty

• Kitten
loving home waiting for kitten liverpool area
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 13:55:47 PM »
Hi everyone.
We are looking for a little companion for our 2 year old maine coon cross Suki.  We would love to help a kitten in need rather than encourage the thousands who let their cats get preggers to sell the kittens on-line to anyone who pays the price.  We have been in touch with our 2 local rescue centres and one wanted £50 and the other has not got back in touch with us despite 3 e-mails and 2 phone calls! if anyone knows of little kitties needing a stable loving and playful home (with 2 spare rooms, so the new baby would have complete luxury!) please let us know. We would be fine with re-homing a kitten from further afield if you could arrange transport to us as we have none of our own.  If you can help we will make a donation to purrs xxx ;D
thanks for taking the time to read
Andrea xx

Link to CatChat