Author Topic: Would it make a difference if you were waged?  (Read 2008 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: Would it make a difference if you were waged?
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 19:38:29 PM »
Good question - I think for those of us here - no it wouldn't make a difference at all though boy it would help! lol ;)

However having dealt with those rescues who only employ waged staff and for new waged staff coming in - yes it does make a difference as it is a job not a calling.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 21:08:08 PM »
I would love to join the ranks of the Waged Ones but I'm scared of the lobotomy.  :evillaugh:

Offline Pudding

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:54:04 PM »
I think  it would have to be a daily rate (£100 a day?  :evillaugh:  but even that only works out at £4.16 an hour given that it is 24/7).
I think the only difference it would make to what I do is the paperwork might be done less late.

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 09:38:33 AM »
I think the goverment should put more money into rescues and employing people like yourselves- im sure the wages would only be spent on the cats anyway :innocent:
If you love animals i dont think anyone would suddenly stop and say im not working now as im only soposed to work till five, rescuing cats is 24 hours for you all it seems so if you work from the heart im sure a wage would only be a bonus- not the incentive.
well done you all btw- you do deserve halos as so many heartless people in the world so its great to see a forum dedicated to helping animals for a change xx

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 16:22:42 PM »
Forget the wage, I`ll polish your halo if you`ll polish mine  :rofl:

Seriously I had a career,  well paid always wore a suit, nails manicured, hairdresser every week, I gave it up to do "Rescue", best decision of my life. Money isnt everything and I do know that what I do can only truly be done from the heart, a paid worker wouldnt last 2 minutes.
You dont need me to tell you how quickly lives would be lost while you weighed up if you needed the overtime.

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 15:26:43 PM »
I bet you wouldn't Angie, so of us just put in the hours no matter the job because we want to do well and try to do 'everything' even though that's physically impossible.

I would love to work with animals, the job I do now is far from my dream of working with animals yet I still find myself putting in a lot of unpaid overtime. I suspect if I worked with animals I would be doing so 24/7 lol!
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
Would it make a difference if you were waged?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 14:31:25 PM »
This has nothing to do with my battersea post by the way as I do understand the need to employ suitable people......

Its probably more to do with myself. I've got the local RSPCA manager on my list of FB friends and his page very often talks about nights out, days off, weekends away and holiday planning.
None of that is relevant to me and I suspect a lot of us on here...... (though I did go to the theatre last week to watch horrible histories , awful egyptians - great 3d stuff!).

Anyway, thinks like picking up Mog last week at 2am and grumping to myself that you couldn't pay anyone to do the amount of hours I do (and I'm not implying I'm the only one, or a saint or whatever 'cos I'm not!!).

So if I were waged to do 40hrs per week would I suddenly turn into a 9 - 5 sort of gal? I (sadly) have the sneaking suspicion that I might.....

Link to CatChat