Author Topic: National Assistance Act 1948 and blooming council  (Read 3640 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: National Assistance Act 1948 and blooming council
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 13:27:24 PM »
When someone posted information from the act recently (well, fairly recently I think) I'm pretty sure it said that although council's had the responsibility to care for the animals under certain circumstances, they also have the right to claim back costs.   

Offline dizziblonde

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 15:40:29 PM »
Wasn't there a similar case in the news recently where an old lady actually killed herself because in a similar situation her beloved dogs were rehomed away from her? I'm sure I remember something about it in the last month or so.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 14:56:04 PM »
Poor lady and poor cat, thank heavens she has you looking out for her  :hug:

I'd be inclined to pursue this with the council in case it happens again in the future, I know budgets are stretched everywhere but they can't (or shouldn't be allowed to) duck out of their legal responsibilities  >:(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 14:43:56 PM »
Hope the lady recovers well and can get back home to her beloved cat, who probably wonders where she is gone.

So pleased you care so much Edd  :hug: :hug:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:49:49 PM »
Edd, I totally agree.  Sharing the same Council, I can tell you that I think they STINK! I could go on and on about the problems that I have seen them create and the things that they choose to ignore.  Lighting out in the sheltered acccomodation grassed area in Garrison Lane for ages - during all that dark, snowy weather. 
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
 >:(
 I am glad that all is OK with Puss.   And I hope all is Ok with the lady - shes probably one I chat to at the bus stop :(
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:50:27 PM by Wibblechick »
People Power Works!!!

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
National Assistance Act 1948 and blooming council
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:46:30 AM »
Had a call from a friend of an OAP who I help transport her cat to the vets when needed. OAP had been rushed into hospital for a major emergency op and was in intensive care. The friend had been looking after the cat but was going away on holiday and as of the next day there was no-one to look after the cat.

Told the friend about the Act and that Social Services should be getting the cat into a cattery under section 48. Did they want to know - no!! First they said to get in touch with a cat charity and when they were reminded of the Act they then refused to discuss the cat with the friend and contacted the brother who lives miles away saying it was down to him. As if he has not got enough worry at the moment. >:(

We have now resolved it and as the OAP is not far from me I am now feeding it in the morning and the brother is calling in the evening to give the evening meal after visiting his sister. Probably for the best as the cat is 16 years old and at least he is still in his home. Got cuddles this morning  :) probably cos he very quickly realised I was the morning food supply  :rofl:

But if the OAP had no-one - what would have happened to the cat. Suppose local CP/cat rescues would have  liaised with the council and got something sorted. A case of the council expecting a charity to do their job for them maybe.

Link to CatChat