Author Topic: In memory of Sheila Parsonson MBE - Colchester Cat Rescue  (Read 2169 times)

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
Re: In memory of Sheila Parsonson MBE - Colchester Cat Rescue
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 13:56:10 PM »
She was a wonderful lady,i got one of my cats there(i only have rescues) When did this happen? :(
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 02:55:19 AM by Gill (sneakiefeline), Reason: to get title right at top »

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
Re: shiela parsons
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 13:51:18 PM »
I worked in Colchester for five years (lived just over the border in Suffolk for most of my life), and have met Sheila as I used to go to Colchester Cat Rescue fund-raisers and their shop regularly.

She was indeed a remarkable woman, and I am saddened to hear of her passing. :'(
She has left a wonderful legacy to the people of Colchester and the surrounding area - long may the rescue continue.

God bless you Sheila, and thank you for saving and caring for so many cats. xx
 :candle:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 10:49:33 AM »
Thanks for that Helen.  I couldn't find anything when I googled last night.

RIP Sheila Parsons.  Sounds a very special lady who will be very much missed  :(

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 10:44:40 AM »
sounds like an amazing lady RIP
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 08:39:35 AM »
How terribly sad. RIP, Sheila - it sounds like a lot of felines have a debt of gratitude to you.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 06:43:22 AM »
Sorry to hear of your loss  :hug:

Have just read the obituary to her on the Colchester Cat rescue site, she sounded like a very special lady  :hug:

http://www.colchestercatrescue.org.uk/index.html

Obituary

Miss Sheila Parsonson MBE 1926 - 2011 Founder of Colchester Cat Rescue

Sheila Margaret Parsonson lived in London for much of her adult life, working in an insurance company, and it was there that she started to rescue cats and look after them in her own home.
After taking early retirement, she moved to Great Tey outside Colchester in the early 1970s, and set up a small concern in 1974 to rescue and rehome cats from her house. In 1978 she registered the Colchester and District Cat Rescue & Homing Society with the Charities Commission.

After many years at Great Tey, Sheila had outgrown her old home there. A fund raising campaign by her fellow Charity Trustee, George Charles, helped Sheila to move the charity to a derelict smallholding in Bromley Rd, Colchester in 1995.
The old site was resurrected as the new Sanctuary, and since that time it has been home to 150 or so cats needing new homes, including those that could not be rehomed and who lived out their lives at the Sanctuary. Sheila would not let cats be put to sleep unless the vet said that their quality of life was being affected.

Sheila continued to look after the cats and try to find homes for them for many years. Sheila was recognised for her work and was awarded the MBE for services to animal welfare by the Queen herself at Buckingham Palace in November 2002.

Sadly Sheila's health worsened in 2004, and after that time she was unable to take such an active role in the Charity. However, the remaining Trustees took over the running of the Charity from that time, and will keep operating as an independent Charity, as was Sheila's wish.

Both the Sanctuary in Bromley Rd, Colchester and the Charity Shop in Eld Lane, Colchester continue to run in her memory, rehoming cats and raising funds to continue the work that Sheila started.

Offline iveca

• Kitten
In memory of Sheila Parsonson MBE - Colchester Cat Rescue
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 22:35:04 PM »
this post is in memory of shiela parsons M.B.E.who passed away sadly .she dedecated her life to cat rescue.n has been a heroine in rescue for many decades.so i ask you all to share this post in recognition for one of the countries most careing women who lived breathed n sacrificed all she knew in the name of animal welfare. god rest your soul shiela and i am very proud to of known you.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 02:54:37 AM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Link to CatChat