Author Topic: rehoming to elderly people  (Read 4033 times)

Offline madasacatter

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
Re: rehoming to elderly people
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 11:54:32 AM »
I think if we were older and wanted to keep our cat(s) them we would live a lot longer, as we would have something to live for.

However I had a missing cat alert today and I am so sorry for this poor lost cat, she has 3 legs and is unspayed, and was last seen with two cats fighting over her.  They were probably trying to mate her.  >:(

http://www.animalsearchuk.co.uk/view_lost_pet.php?petref=ALP25639

If anyone is going to have a cat, especially one who finds it more difficult to get about, at least let us make sure they are ready to go, spayed and vaccinated!  :(
Coventry Cat Group

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 13:34:30 PM »
At CAT77, we did as long as there was family support to help with getting to vets etc. I have also helped Cinnamon Trust a few times.
Please spay your cat

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 19:30:32 PM »
Thank you Gill,you would never think they are that old(or me!)  Yes Trigger,i think more elderly folk would welcome the chance of helping a moggie,it's a shame that when you go to an "old peoples home"you're not allowed animals.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 15:51:50 PM »
I think thats a brilliant idea Trigger.  I feel a project coming on .................  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 15:08:47 PM »
I was hoping there was one the otherside of you out of carmarthen, cos I was a long way for Swansea to rehome and you are too far I reckon.

Swansea rely on fosters and if they still have some cages on the Gower where Sasa and Misa came from, thats there only no foster situation.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 15:05:41 PM »
Whats the nearest CP branch to you trigger, nearest to me is Swansea?

yes, Swansea

the only independent rescues round these parts are totally reliant on fosterers, who probably are able to offer some back up

it's just a thought that I have had occasionally that as a fair number of strays are reliant on older folk, a campaign to help more of them to rehome, by offering some help, might result in more rehomed cats and less lonely people

it wouldn't be difficult to target this group either

Catgirl, can you see a time when you would welcome such help as I have in mind, if it meant you could go on being a cat owner?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 15:01:13 PM »
Its a terrible thing to think about isnt it Catgirl .............you doing great  ;D ;D ;D

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 14:49:04 PM »
I have never thought about this,i have always had rescue cats-mine are now sixteen and eight months old had her since she was six weeks old,  fifteen years and seven months old -had him since he was five months old,my third one must be at least fourteen as i have had her for thirteen years. It has never entered my head that i might be turned down because of my age!I'm an active 74.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 12:36:59 PM »
Whats the nearest CP branch to you trigger, nearest to me is Swansea?

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 12:34:08 PM »
we do home to elderly people if they can cope. but treating all people equal, would never home a cat in ANY home if we felt the new owners could not provide the basic care.

the lack of people power mans our fosterers have to (in the main) be self reliant. If we don't have the man power to help support fosterers then there is no way we can offer this to the general public.

the cynical side of me thinks it might be a good way to attract legacies......

As Edd says, the Cinnamon trust is set up to do that and I'm sure they would be happy for a volunteer!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:35:35 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 11:42:06 AM »
Hi Trigger

I help OAPs with their cats. First started doing when I was with a CP branch as the branch did home to elderly people and tended to match an older cat to an OAP. When rehoming, the branch was careful to make sure there was support for day to day things through family or neighbours (if needed). If there was a problem, the oap could ring me and I would pop round, take the cat to the vets for any medical issues or check ups.
Not sure all branches do that - depends on the volunteers they have, I suppose.

No longer with CP but will still help OAPs through my local independent rescue and also the vets mainly transporting them to the vets or local animal hospital (the cats that is).

Know that the Cinnamon Trust does try to help the elderly and their pets (friend does dog walking for them) - so dont know if it would be worth speaking with them.

Believe some rescues do 'golden oldies' schemes as well where the veterinary side is taken care of by them - so presume that would help them home to some OAPS as well.

The OAPs I have dealings with, their cats are the centre of their lives.   :Luv:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:45:43 AM by Edd »

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
rehoming to elderly people
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 11:10:48 AM »
just a thought, stemming from talking to an 82 year old lady on my bus, who took in two cats when her neighbour died

they made such a difference to her life, but they have both now died too, having lived to a good age, and her local rescue won't rehome to her because of her age

I was wondering if any rescues use volunteers to befriend older people who rehome cats - if I knew of any such person near me I would be more than happy to call in, check the cat(s) are OK, give general advice, help with shopping, clean a litter tray, arrange a vet visit, etc, - whatever it took to keep cat(s) and owner healthy and happy

my mother was allowed to rehome a cat when she was over 80 because I was calling in regularly, and it made such a huge difference to her happiness to have Mitzi - and it seems to me that older people could be a good source of homes for older cats in rescue

I have no sizeable rescues within 20 miles of me, otherwise I would be keen to promote such a scheme, but am wondering what rescue folk think about it
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Link to CatChat