Author Topic: Advice on Semi-Feral settling please  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
Re: Advice on Semi-Feral settling please
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 19:22:33 PM »
Hi Moggy

Just wondered if you got your semi-feral babes at all?

Steff
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 19:13:02 PM »
... don't just turn a feral cat loose in a strange shed. It will do the wall of death and scoot past you and out the door. 

I can relate to that Julie! When my Charlie was living in the factory my stupid boss (he'd been drinking!  :censored: ) had picked him up from his living area and somehow carried him past lots of strange men and machinary and brought him into our office,  which was in the factory itself  >:(  Charlie then did the wall of death round the windows, over desks the lot. :Crazy: I was trying to grab him to calm him down and got a lovely scratch for my trouble  :evillaugh: He then had to be taken back to his 'home'. This was a cat that my boss and i had looked after from him being a few months old and would always rub round our legs but wouldn't go anywhere near anyone else.
Ferals are not always nasty are they? Just scared-i love 'em!!!   :Luv2: :Luv2:

Good luck Moggy!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 19:14:06 PM by Shirley »

Offline Moggy

• Kitten
  • Slave to: soon to be...
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 16:55:35 PM »
Thanks again - sound like a parrot I know but i mean it. lol
Will put out some feelers and see how we get on.
Getting the others the snip does sound possible - I held my horses leg for his snip so I have no problem with the idea of it all! lol If an animal behaves and lives a happier life for one operation then I'm all for it.
Will come back to you all in due course!
Keep up the great work.  :Luv:
Thanks, Moggy
(Aka Jane)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 10:48:02 AM »
Seconded what Steff said... good feral homes are as rare as rocking-horse poo so any cat rescue group will bend over to help you.  ;) The may even have a dog crate or 2 to loan you.  :sneaky: And everyone knows nothing when they first take the plunge so sharing knowledge is a duty if we all claim to be in it for the cats.  ;)

Forgot to say...don't forget to set up litter tray and food/water in the dog crate before you decant the cat in it.  :evillaugh: If pud becomes distressed in the crate at first, cover over with a large towel and leave him/her alone for a bit to contemplate new surroundings. In fact covering with towels is a great way of calming down any anxious cat... Was v. tired when making my first post so overlooked a few things.  :innocent:

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 10:29:28 AM »
No one would tear into you Moggyn you giving a feral cat(s) a chance is great and its great to know that these two will get neutered etc.

I had no experience of ferals or trapping when I decided to help the little family but the guys on here were so helpful and supportive.

Not sure how possible this would be for you but whilst you've get a trap and the attention of a rescue (if you've borrowed a trap and maybe cats protection is the rescue) do you think it would be possible for you to continue to trap the rest of the colony, take them to the vet for the snip (with the aid of neutering vouchers) and release back at the stables? Then the colony wouldn't get overrun? Just an idea :) See you may find trapping addictive and want to do it more.

I will certainly be doing again, the experience I have had with these four has been amazing so far.

Julie, I'm nicking the advice for setting them up in a new environment just in case my two big guys get offers of an outdoor home.
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Moggy

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 10:15:56 AM »
Thanks so much for the advice, am going to see if I can get a cage as had an offer of one but not sure what type it was. Will see what I can find trap wise too. Had to giggle at the wall of death but I can well imagine it.
Will have a ring round of vets to find one that'll take a feral too so I know where to head if and when I have a Cat to take to them.
I tamed my new forest pony as he'd been running wild on the forest and that took around a month of stabling - so guess I need to follow that sort of lead. Will definately be back for advice.
Oh and window closing also duly noted.

8) Thanks for the wonderful advice on here, and not tearing into me for venturing into the unknown - I'm sure some forums would have done so.
Thanks, Moggy
(Aka Jane)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 05:38:31 AM »
Hoho..! This is my floor, I think.  :) Been there, done that, successfully resettled many ferals in my time.  :evillaugh:

First.... don't even think of trying to grab a cat that has never been picked up.  :doh: It will think it's about to die and they fight valiantly to save their lives. Everything about feral cats is about the control of fear... cats naturally fear anything they've never experienced. That's why we always use purpose built and safe equipment for handling and transporting.  :sneaky: Use a proper, purpose built cat trap (not to be confused with the cheap and often lethal rabbit traps people try to flog you on Ebay  :doh: ) which you can borrow from the nearest cat rescue group. They will tell you how to use it or even trap the cats for you. ;) When you catch puddy, place a big towel over him/her and take the whole thing to the vets. They will do the rest.  :)

Second... don't just turn a feral cat loose in a strange shed. It will do the wall of death and scoot past you and out the door.  :doh: Invest in or borrow a dog crate (available cheap enough from Argos). Set up the crate in the shed and decant the cat into the crate. Leave it at least two weeks before one day just leaving the door open, then puss can go explore the shed. Another 2 weeks and leave the shed door open.  ;) This gives puss plenty of time to get used to you as carers and to figure out where the food comes from.  :evillaugh:

I agree that you need a minimum of two cats. Cats in the wild live in family groups or colonies. A single cat is likely to go off in search of a pal.  :evillaugh:

Cats above all do not like change. It takes time for them to feel confident in new surroundings. Smells, sounds, food source... all these changes must be introduced slowly. Over do it and the cat runs away.  :tired:

Of all the ferals I've resettled only one has not stayed around, so any problems feel free to PM.  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 02:44:37 AM »
If they arre going to have access via a window, please make sure it cant blow closed on them cos this can kill cats.

I hope some others reply to this post  ;D

Offline Moggy

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 19:04:51 PM »
Hi, and thanks for the points. This is still in the planning stage hence my posting here.

Will have to speak to DH about the 2 cat side of things. I can certainly understand that though.
we have ferals/semi-ferals on our livery yard, there are 5 and some will not come near us, others will do so easily, and some in between. So am hoping that we can go slowly on the catching front rather than trap, but if not then we'll have to look at more handled cats and / or a trap.
Will have to see how the dogs go, but was thinking that as over winter the dogs are only in and out - with daily runs, they could be restricted to the front garden for a bit, and we could see how they get on together that way. They have grown up with guinea pigs, chickens and rabbits in the garden with no issues. They really are pretend terriers! lol And if a cat hissed I'm pretty sure they'd run in the opposite direction.

The shed has a window in it (brick shed which uses to be an outside loo) and therefore will have access if we leave the window open that the cat could get into without the dogs getting in or being near it. Also daylight and ventilation but restricted so it's cosy.

The cats are fed by numerous people and knock around a very busy farm and industrial yard (loud machinery, people coming etc). They come up to you without a problem, the stroking is coming - I'm visiting them with food daily so I'm not completely 'new' and some trust is put in place before moving the cat(s).

All tips gratefully received and we'll try to accomodate all.
Thanks, Moggy
(Aka Jane)

Offline sweepster

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 17:07:01 PM »
Hi, you'll get much more comprehensive advice from the rescue folk on here, but my initial thoughts are:

• How do your dogs react to cats?  Are they likely to chase them away or pose any other danger to the cats?  Though many dogs can be introduced perfectly successfully to cats, I'm not sure how this will work with semi-ferals who aren't living in the house?
  • How handleable are the cats (either by their current carers or strangers)?  You may find you need a trap to get them to the vet for health checks and neutering, and thence to their new home.  Don't assume that a feral/semi-feral cat who is friendly at feeding-time will tolerate being picked up and put in a carrier  :shify:

I forgot to add that I'd strongly recommend getting two cats, not just one.  I think I'm right in saying that cats who live in feral colonies rely on (and benefit from) feline companionship much more than their lap-sitting counterparts.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 17:10:15 PM by sweepster »

Offline Moggy

• Kitten
Advice on Semi-Feral settling please
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 16:27:36 PM »
Hi all
I'm new, and posted in the newbie section. Have had some kind info to post here for advice, as you'll all see it!

My initial comment was:
Hello!
I'm a newbie, but you know that by the section. What you don't know is I'm a 'newbie' in that I haven't had a cat for a looooooong time!
So, I thought I'd tag along here and get some knowledge, advice and friendship.
Long intro - feel free to skip if you don't have time! lol

My DH is a 'cat man' as I'd call him.. i've always been a dog person - we have two dogs (small terriers).
we moved to SW Wales 3 years ago and our semi house has a fair size garden with fields to the back ... great eh. Except for the furry four legged things in the garden no one really wants.. yep you guessed it Rats.   we've tried for 3 years now to manage them with traps and against my better thoughts poison. To no avail.. the whole street has a problem and the council won't sort things.

Well the final straw came with the pitter patter of little feet in my loft! they are going up through the cavity walls   So traps are now up there and we have one down, one to go I think. Also think we've sorted the route in.. but not 100% sure.

so.. here I am! I have a horse at a livery yard, so we and our children (3 girls) are used to being around semi-feral cats. So we have found someone with too many on their farm and are able to help out with one to live in our shed. Of course, I realise if it's a female we'll have to get her checked and neutured - and a male for that matter. Also flea/worming. Have seen most of the cats there, and they are all clean looking, clean eyes etc, no wounds and come for feed. We are doing a bit of 'be-friending' by being around feeding etc, rather than just grabbing one and going... yeah that'll be easier said than done! lol

We have a big sized shed, so have read up on them having to 'live in' for a couple of weeks to get used to it being their home. This is really my first question? Does this work? my going in to feed etc and the cat then knowing it's a warm bed and shelter? with room service twice a day? 

Thanks for any advice you can give me / experiences you can share.
Thanks, Moggy
(Aka Jane)

Link to CatChat