Author Topic: Cats needing homes through Animal Lifeline  (Read 17958 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Cats needing homes through Animal Lifeline
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2010, 11:51:26 AM »
Please contact Kelly-Joy for more information about these cats.

Kelly-Joy's email address is posted below. 

:thanks:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Re: Very Urgent 50 kittens endanger of being drowned
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2010, 10:07:34 AM »
[admin]This thread will be locked as arguing and name calling doesn't do any good to helping any cats. If you have any issues with the cats needing homes in Ireland, please email Kelly Joy (email contact posted below) who is dealing with this. [/admin]

Offline Pinball

• Adult Cat
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2010, 10:01:13 AM »
I think no one knows enough her to make any judgements.
It may speak volumes that no one in Ireland has any space now they know who they are dealing with.........

I think its time to close this thread if there is nothing left but a Post Mortem to be done?

Angie, I disagree. I don't think the thread should be closed. It isn't over yet. It hasn't even started. The kittens haven't been rounded up yet and none (apart from the 30 to Catwoman) haven't been collected yet. Come Monday more arrangements will be made to bring them to the UK.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2010, 09:55:29 AM »
I think no one knows enough her to make any judgements.
It may speak volumes that no one in Ireland has any space now they know who they are dealing with.........

I think its time to close this thread if there is nothing left but a Post Mortem to be done?

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2010, 09:45:31 AM »

Kelly, you say that it saddens you that people were questioning your rescue protocol. It saddens me that you still think that you are justified in staging your international rescue operations. You are sending emails to all the rescues? Why don't you pick up the phones and phone them. The response rate to that is so much more immediate than a few puny emails that are being sent out.

thats not what Kelly has said, Kelly is saddened that people questioned her personal motives from what i can see  :-:
Apparently the responses also vary by phone considering how many of these rescues could help and now cant. Possibly due to speaking to a different person? I read Kellys response as emailing now after they have already contacted as many as they can by phone-previous posts reference phone calls.

People have repeatedly offered to write the story for you and to take them to the press. Heck, that story should open coffers quickly - it certainly did on the forums that you posted this story. And Ireland also contains cat lovers!

Surely these offer should be made to the initial Rescue involved as Kelly is only helping out. They will also have the facts immediately available to them. For all we know they may already have approached local press.

Cathy is the Chair man for the North west SPCA
Shouldnt be too hard to find contact details as it is considered so easy to find them for every rescue in ireland.
I dont understand why Kelly is being attacked. My understanding is that she is the middle man only passing on the info she has been given. Presumably ill also be attacked for not agreeing, but its threads and responses like this that make me limit how much i get involved with rescues.

Offline Pinball

• Adult Cat
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2010, 09:40:38 AM »
May i just say thaqt Kelly Joy is NOT a rescue on her own , she is part of Animal Lifeline and should NOT be taking the brunt of this. I can vouch for her totally and know that she will have only had the welfare of the cats at heart.

You only have to look at her re-homing record on here  , surely she has earnt the right to a bit of trust from us?

Kirst, I am not talking about how Kelly or ALLUK normally do things. I am not passing judgement on her as person or on ALLUK.

But I do not agree with how this appeal/affair is or has been handled - as I said before this has just exposed a string of ineffectual approaches or nonapproaches. Surely these people or rescues can muck up and need to be judged on a case by case way, not on the general reputation of a person or the rescue.

This one is a shambles, no escaping from that.

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2010, 09:36:59 AM »
I know nothing of the in's and out's of this,  but surely bringing more cats/kittens into an already overstretched country isnt going to help at all,  every rescue I know is full to the brim,  even my vets have rescue cats that they cant home (and believe me they are lovely cats) so what on earth is going to happen with 50 more cats.  It is a issue of knowing when to stop and unfortunately you can not help everyone,  look at the cats you see on holiday,  would you start bringing cats in from Spain that are wondering the streets and in danger.   I participated in a homing evening for a local 'rescue' that had cats from Ireland,  the cats were stressed,  unhappy and in my opinion were sedated,  I was so distressed by it all I never went back to the 'rescue' (this is not the Blue Cross who I volunteer for now).  We have to get a grip on reality and understand that we have enough cats already in this country that are needing homes we really dont need to add to that.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2010, 09:33:59 AM »
May i just say thaqt Kelly Joy is NOT a rescue on her own , she is part of Animal Lifeline and should NOT be taking the brunt of this. I can vouch for her totally and know that she will have only had the welfare of the cats at heart.

You only have to look at her re-homing record on here  , surely she has earnt the right to a bit of trust from us?

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2010, 09:27:58 AM »
For the record I had dealings with this Cathy in the past but did not want to disclose this as I could not say anything in her favour and felt that poor old Purrs has been caused enough badness already.
This thread should never have been put on Purrs in this way and it certainly should not be allowed to continue.

Catwoman I may be stupid but I put the welfare of the animals first and foremost and always will.
I do not intend to waste any more of my precious "animal caring time" on this thread.

Offline Pinball

• Adult Cat
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2010, 08:08:07 AM »
Teresa Pawcats learn the facts before making flippant reples!!!!! You know nothing, how sad you are. I have over 30 Irish kittens here, I know the facts, before judigng people make sure you know the whole story or you will continue to look stupid.

My, how rude are you! It is not as though that YOU have been a wealth of information on this issue. The only thing you have had to say about it all is that you have 30 of the kits when everyone was looking for those 50 that were about to be drowned. You didn't say where you got them from or what the actual situation was like.

The way this appeal has been posted from the beginning has been in a polemic, emotive daily mail style. We were led to believe that someone has 50 kits that are about to be drowned, which turns out not to be the case. In fact it turns out that there are over 100! What is the case is that a rescue in Ireland is overrun and is getting calls from people who have got kittens that they don't want. Big deal, we get the same in this country. I am sure that rescues over here hear it all and more! And these 100 aren't in one place yet, these are only the ones that the rescue in Ireland thinks it might be laboured with in the future.

Kelly, you say that it saddens you that people were questioning your rescue protocol. It saddens me that you still think that you are justified in staging your international rescue operations. You are sending emails to all the rescues? Why don't you pick up the phones and phone them. The response rate to that is so much more immediate than a few puny emails that are being sent out.

IMO this whole affair has been handled completely ineffectually. Why didn't the Irish rescue go to the media? Why didn't you? Why didn't they even put an appeal on their own website? Why didn't they and now you contact the big rescues in Ireland who are still professing to never even having heard of the issue.

People have repeatedly offered to write the story for you and to take them to the press. Heck, that story should open coffers quickly - it certainly did on the forums that you posted this story. And Ireland also contains cat lovers!

I stand by my opinion that you are completely hellbent for whatever reason to stage this international rescue operation.  IMO this shouldn't be about egos but about the best interest of the kittens. And the best interest cannot be to drive them for hours across Ireland, then to ferry them for a few hours, and then to distribute them for another few hours within the UK, when they are still so young, many have ringworm and go knows what other issues.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:09:38 AM by Pinball »

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2010, 07:19:11 AM »
[gmod]Please always be polite when replying to other's posts, even if you disagree with their view. Replies/advice given in a friendly, courteous manner is much more likely to be heeded. We welcome discussions, however they should be kept polite and controlled. Heated arguments help no-one, least of all the animals. Thank You.[/gmod]
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Catwoman29

• Kitten
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2010, 03:32:40 AM »
Teresa Pawcats learn the facts before making flippant reples!!!!! You know nothing, how sad you are. I have over 30 Irish kittens here, I know the facts, before judigng people make sure you know the whole story or you will continue to look stupid.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2010, 16:39:16 PM »
got to say drowning is the kitten control method of choice in italy

:'( Disgusting - I just wish the same fate on anyone that does it  >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2010, 14:59:58 PM »
got to say drowning is the kitten control method of choice in italy, I'm sure it is in many places that believe neutering makes cats lazy - shame this all got so out of hand

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2010, 11:57:44 AM »
people are drowning and shooting them etc out there and Cathy is trying hard to save them so yes sadly they are at risk of being drowned:(

This Cathy is very clever with words isn`t she, bet she gave you the religious bit too

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2010, 11:43:26 AM »
costs to bring them over have been covered, I was asking for donations for the rescues that would take them over here as I know how they are already struggling:(

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2010, 10:57:59 AM »
I am having awful computer problems at the moment but just wanted to add my full support to Kelly and Cathy, so sorry about the Doubting Thomas'

Have you got a price from StenaLine - they may give sponsorship or a good discount.

Keep up the good work   :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2010, 10:17:04 AM »
Kelly Joy ,anyone who knows you would nnot doubt you for a second. :hug: :hug:

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2010, 10:14:37 AM »
I have said to Cathy that we email every rescue over there today to make doubly sure no one over there can't help and so no one can say every rescue hasn't been asked over there. If no one can. We have loads of rescues over here on stand by for them if needs be.The thread on our site has been moved to the rescue reps section so we can sort transport etc if they do need to come over. The thread on that other site has been removed by Mark who owns the site as I copied him in on the last pm I sent to mods to remove and told them I had as well and he sent my a pm to say it had been removed.

What saddens me is people choose to believe a couple of people that never openly say they are involed in rescue themselves over on that site and yet not people like Cathy and myself that deal with cases to save animals on a daily basis. I am not saying they were lying as I haven't a clue but I will say that anyone can say anything on the net that they know this and do that but until they prove it how do people really know they do???

People only have to look here,catchat and our site to see all the animals we save on a daily basis so if people want to check me out to see if I actaully know what I am doing they don't have to look far.

My main down fall over this was asking for donations to help the rescues over here that would be taking these kittens as we all know they are struggling and I do regret that now, but I was only trying to help them.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has supported me over this, many of you I have worked with to help save an animal in the past and its because of people like you that I was able to get through all the rubbish of yesterday :hug:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 10:15:45 AM by kelly-joy »

Offline Catwoman29

• Kitten
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2010, 10:03:16 AM »
Well I have read the posts and have to say its sad that people believe things they read on other forums.
This was a genuine plea blown out of proportion by those choosing to comment rather than help. Kelly Joy was doing her best to help  Cathy.
Why the hell would I post something if it wasn't genuine or if Irish rescues could help? I have been rescuing for over 4 years and currently have around 70 cats in or re-homing.
I shall continue to support Cathy as well as the UK needies.
I will also use the old fashioned method of phoning people for help rather than using forums that turn into a game of chinese whispers with people doubting a cause.
Sleep well you doubting Thomas's, I know I will.

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2010, 23:24:03 PM »
I know so much horrible stuff goes on...its just horrible knowing actual facts.

I've started doing my bit now and hope I can help more in the future :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2010, 23:19:46 PM »
... not wishing to sound hard done by, Steff. Every single Purrs rescue member have similar stories....  Just pointing out every rescue has their problems.  :(

Get neutering I say!  :evillaugh:

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2010, 22:36:18 PM »
:'( Julie. That's awful
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2010, 22:31:57 PM »
I have to say that people do that here on my patch all the time. I can never find them but they do because people report the bodies to us. I also had a farm colony where the hare coarsers set their dogs on the cats and we'd found skinned cats and kittens.  :'( I can save very few of them because there is nowhere for them to go.  :'(

Sorry... I don't see that one rescue's dire circumstances requires this knee jerk appeal. We're all in the same boat. We know for sure cats have died because we cannot fit them in.  :(

If it were an immediate threat to 50 specific kittens perhaps it would be different to me.... but this is just a general plea born out of desperation to try to move them to other rescues. If English rescues shoe horn them in, English cats and kittens will die instead. It just smacks of emotional blackmail again and makes us feel so sad because we cannot save them all. :tired:

No offense on any individuals intended as everyone is acting through the very best of motives. I know the feeling of helplessness and tiredness.  :hug: :hug: I prefer to divert what energy I have left toward neutering and stopping the problem at source.... what is the neutering situation in Ireland these days? What is the uptake like? :shify:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2010, 22:19:22 PM »
Nobody has accused you on Purrs of lying Kelly  :hug:

Just find it strange that this Cathy person has only just provided this info cos know that this area was mentioned in the link to another forum that was put on earleir today.

Just my purrrrrrrrsonal view but think the Irish must put their own house in gear and not dump the problem in another country which has severe problems itself.  :(

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2010, 22:18:33 PM »
people are drowning and shooting them etc out there and Cathy is trying hard to save them so yes sadly they are at risk of being drowned:(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2010, 22:16:48 PM »
I'm confused.... are these kittens at immediate threat of being drowned then?  :shify: :shify: :shify: The title says they are.  :-:

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2010, 22:14:38 PM »
Cathy is the Chair man for the North west SPCA if you need me to send you her email to get her to confirm then I will send it, as I am NOT lying this is what I have been told and what she has posted herself  :(

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2010, 22:12:30 PM »
Cathy has tried them all today but one she couldn't get though to and none can take them, so who all these rescues that said they would take them supposedly is any ones guess

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2010, 22:10:33 PM »
What about the Irish spca Kelly?

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2010, 22:07:20 PM »
its looking like we are still going to need help as Cathy has said that the rescues over there can't take them after all, so if anyone can help with transport from Holly head to any of the rescues please email me to let me know at kelly-joy@animallifelineuk.org.

this has also been posted by Cathy to prove this is indeed the case

I am just giving an update and it will be my last time.

Unfortunately the offers of help in Ireland will not all happen.

I have spoken to 4 of the 5 contacts, 1) one lady will kindly take a litter at end of next week. The others cannot help at present as 2) are over run themselves, and has a virus in their cattery and therefore only fully vaccinated kittens could go there and I don't have them full vaxed. 3) The other lady can only take friendly kits as she has too many nervous/semi feral but has offered to see if anything else can be done but I am not hopeful. 4) Another group again has their own overflow and has already put out a request themselves for help and none has materialised but she has offerd to phone me if they get any possibility of help for mine but it seems unrealistic. I will contact the last one tomorrow.

For the record at present, I have a litter of 8 and 5 who are recovering from flu at my one fosterer plus a mum and kits there. The rest I have and are divided into 2 groups those with ringworm which means I have to completely isolate them and those without, the ones without are in my husbands' shed which he needs but is now full with cats. Also in there are 4 feral adults which were threatened with poison and so I will have them neutered and hope to find some homes for them at some point - I have another tiny 5 week with ringworm in a spare bedroom as it is far too cold in my shed to keep her out there. I have another 6 in the vets because there is nowhere ele to put them and they want them out.

Then there are the 8 calls I have regarding kittens and cats which I have not been able to bring in because I have nowhere to put them and I expect that when I do get to them most will be either very nervous/semi-feral. I do not believe that any kitten is untameable but I can only do so much.

I would like to add that Kelly Jo did not have all the details because I hadn't emailed them to her. We had a conversation and I was to email but I wasn't able to. She was just trying to help me and I am sorry that we have brought all this trouble to her.

I am not working and so therefore every single minute I have is given over to the care of cats. I also attend and help with dog rescues, horses etc When I am not looking after cats I am out trying to raise money by collections, bagpacking and pub collections which is thankless task. And because I am never at home my phone will usually be unanswered but if I get a message and a number I will return the call. I have an 8 year old son who God help him wants to be a vet so he can help me.

I will continue to do my best.

Again, for all those that have sent good thoughts, I thank you.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2010, 19:49:53 PM »
Thats really great Pinball and such a better way to go  ;D

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2010, 19:15:25 PM »
Glad they are able to get help without having to travel :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2010, 16:40:41 PM »
Excellent work, people!  :wow: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Pinball

• Adult Cat
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2010, 16:29:15 PM »
People are putting the charity at the heart of this find in touch with the rescues in Ireland that have already offered help. People are also on the phones drumming up the help from other rescues in Ireland.

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2010, 16:16:44 PM »
Just to update folks. The kittens are staying with rescues in Ireland!

How do you know?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Pinball

• Adult Cat
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 16:15:12 PM »
Just to update folks. The kittens are staying with rescues in Ireland!

Offline Pinball

• Adult Cat
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 14:35:35 PM »
I suggest you look at the other forum thread again. Rescues that have been contacted in Ireland by people didn't know anything about this crisis who have offered room and help. These include big charities such as the ISPCA. A list of rescues that have been contacted is being sent to the appropriate people.

How come that the website of the North West SPCA, who is at the heart of it all, doesn't even include something about the crisis on their own website: http://www.nwspcaballina.com/cats.html? Maybe it is just me but if I were struggling and had a website I would certainly try to make it known on there too.

Who said there are rescues in Ireland prepared to take them????
Read the post carefully beore posting. The have no room!!!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 14:37:02 PM by Pinball »

Offline Catwoman29

• Kitten
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 14:28:58 PM »
Who said there are rescues in Ireland prepared to take them????
Read the post carefully beore posting. The have no room!!!

Offline Pinball

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2010, 14:25:42 PM »
Just to re-assure people and to let people know this is not a scam. I have taken 30 kittens so far from Ireland that would not be alive had I not. I have been rescuing for over 4 years with the full support of my vet and registered charities. Had there been placements for the kittens in Ireland the lady sending them to the UK would not have done so! Better a live kitten travelling here than adead one over there. The ones I have taken are delightful and if I wasn't full to the brim with other rescue cats I would be taking more!!!
Well done Kelly for your support with this, without people like you these kittens would not be given a chance.
Cathy in Ireland has my full support as does Kelly.

But therein lies the crux of the matter. There are rescues in Ireland that would be more than happy to help but they haven't been approached. So why makes this an international issue with cats being ferried around countries when the matter can be solved internally? Beats me!

Link to CatChat