Author Topic: 6 month old, possibly pregnant, need advice please  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
Re: 6 month old, possibly pregnant, need advice please
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 12:28:09 PM »
Not sure yet, said they would take her if no other home was found by the weekend so will give her another message on Sunday night asking if everything went ok :)

Desley, I haven't asked any of that but will do when I send the above message, I don't know if she knew much herself yet when she got back to me the first time so hopefully she'll have had chance to sort all of that stuff out by now :)

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »
How did ya friend get on with this little one hun?

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 08:18:56 AM »
How well does your friend know the person who has offered to care for her? Is she 110% sure she will get her spayed, and does she know she has the funds to care for a pregant cat - if she has complications, she could be looking at £250+ for a C-Section? Then there is the extra food, litter, flea and worm treatments.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 20:49:47 PM »
That's good news, hope everything goes smoothly for her  :hug:

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 19:29:26 PM »
Well my friend messaged me back and said she's found someone who will take her in even if she's pregnant, and will get her neutered after the kittens are born.

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 22:41:41 PM »
Poor thing  :( Sounds like she's definitely better off away from him. 

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 22:38:54 PM »
It was handed in by the owner, apparently he's a bit of a nutcase and tried to hand the cat into the shop a few times to be told they didn't do that, and then the guy said he 'found' her and the lady took her just because she was worried what would happen to it if she didn't.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 21:52:56 PM »
When you say 'handed in', do you know if it was by the owner or if it's actually a lost cat handed in by a random member of the public? If it's a lost cat then I'd send your friend a link to all the 'found cat' tips in the hope her owner can be traced, if she is 'lost' there's a chance she escaped before they got her spayed so they could be decent people rather than someone allowing such a young cat to get pregnant  :(

Sounds like your friends heart is in the right place but if she's a definite abandonment then I'd ring round all the rescues to see if any of them can take her in, they'll have experience of pregnancy/births and will be better placed to try and find homes for the kittens and Mum.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 21:49:03 PM »
Definitely push for the vet visit. I don't think anyone wants to say this but an abortive spay, although risky, is probably overall less risky for a cat that young.

Just an opinion though. The rescue workers will be able to be more informed about that.

Poor little mite. :(

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 21:45:00 PM »
Yep well she only got in touch with me this morning with a few details and then I had to go out to work, she told me the story of the cat being brought in but not really any other details, I've just seen her writing on people's walls asking if they want a cat but it might be pregnant  :Crazy: I asked her lots of questions like why they think that, and has it been seen by a vet etc, just waiting to hear back now.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 21:42:25 PM »
I would have the little one straight down the vet, I would think trying to carry kittens when she is still so tiny herself could have tragic outcomes for mum and baby :(

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
6 month old, possibly pregnant, need advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 21:35:25 PM »
Earlier my friend from college sent me a message saying that someone handed in a roughly 6-month old female cat at the pet shop she works in. Someone who also works there has taken it home to look after while they try to find a new home for her. Only problem is, the cat is possibly pregnant  :( She asked me if I know anyone who wants a cat so I said I would ask around and post on here, and only just found out about the possible pregnancy now, my friend is asking everyone on Facebook if they want the cat. I'm not sure what to do for the best, I'm trying to get more details now and advised not to rehome until they are sure and if they are, then to not rehome until after the kittens are born and weaned. She is quite a sensible person so will probably listen to any advice I give her, the only thing I'm thinking is that the person who is currently looking after the cat might just give it away or something?

Sorry if this is on the wrong board, please feel free to move.

Link to CatChat