Author Topic: Little Paws Inn is born :D  (Read 32683 times)

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
Re: Little Paws Inn is born :D
« Reply #214 on: February 22, 2011, 21:11:00 PM »
Thanks guys :D *hug*

I guess I just a bit frustrated that I can't help all the cats :(

BUT I am making a difference and will continue to do everything I can :D

The Puffs are now comfy in the spare room!!! I kept them in the house on Saturday because I wanted to monitor them after their jabs and then I worked out with OH how we could keep them in the spare room. So they're all settled in, have already covered the duvet in fur lol and they have adapted really quickly, especially Tyson and whatever he does TT follows :)

Its making kitten cuddling a lot more convenient (and regular) now they are only upstairs ;D
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2011, 15:03:47 PM »
Really wonderful Steff hun. You're a star  ;D :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2011, 12:51:39 PM »

It's not a competition .... that is four cat lives you have already changed for the better, plus a number of human lives, stopped a heap of kittens resulting from them growing up feral, plus all the other cats they'd have fought/ mated with, passed diseases to, competed with for scraps, those who've read the thread and felt inspired. :hug:

I've just had one female and 7 males from one garden and a male from the next door to that one neutered, 4 kittens rehomed and i feel great! If it had only been one, i'd have still felt the same! You've done a great job Steph!!

Firefox says it all!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2011, 00:54:14 AM »
I can copy and paste pics from FB to my pc.............but not direct to Purrs

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2011, 21:59:02 PM »
Thanks Jiji :)  I've only done a tiny thing in comparison to some of the rescue peeps on here bit every little helps I guess and I'm glad I have been able to make a different to this little family.

I was going to post some up to date pics so you could all see how much the boys have grown...BUT you can no longer copy and save pics from your Facebook which is where they all are.  You will have to bear with me a little longer...sowee

It's not a competition .... that is four cat lives you have already changed for the better, plus a number of human lives, stopped a heap of kittens resulting from them growing up feral, plus all the other cats they'd have fought/ mated with, passed diseases to, competed with for scraps, those who've read the thread and felt inspired. :hug:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2011, 15:51:56 PM »
Thanks Jiji :)  I've only done a tiny thing in comparison to some of the rescue peeps on here bit every little helps I guess and I'm glad I have been able to make a different to this little family.

I was going to post some up to date pics so you could all see how much the boys have grown...BUT you can no longer copy and save pics from your Facebook which is where they all are.  You will have to bear with me a little longer...sowee
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2011, 15:35:34 PM »
Glad the vet visit went well and they behaved themselves and did not try and shred the vet, though perhaps they are saving that for snip day  :evillaugh: . Seriously, you have done a wonderful job with this family who now have lovely lives to enjoy.

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #207 on: February 19, 2011, 13:54:17 PM »
Helen, I do often wonder if they would have made it through the snow :( Plus by now, mum (Tia) probably would have been pregnant again by now but instead she is living the "good life" up on the farm :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 15:48:36 PM by Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ »
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2011, 13:35:04 PM »
Glad the boys' (can say that with confidence now!) vet visit went well  ;D They really are lucky little boys as it could have been so different for them, I doubt they would have even made it through the snow/minus temperatures we had so mahoosive pat on the back for Little Paws Inn  :hug:

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2011, 12:56:55 PM »
We're back and I still have all my fingers!!

TT put up a little resistance to getting in the carrier but I got him in there in the end.

Tyson was great in the car on the way there and was having a good look around but TT had gone all saucer eyed on me bless him.

We went to a differnt practice, out in the countryside. My friend recommended it to me as they are pretty much half the price of my usual vets in town because they are family run and only do vacc, neutering and basic other stuff (whereas my vets have all the fancy equipment, loads of staff etc).

Fortunately the cheaper price did not mean a lesser service. The vet was fab and really patient and calm. Tyson went first and let the vet check him over (he is a boy). I even got a cuddle while the vet prepped the vaccine!! Not a peep from him when he had his injection, then he went back in his carrier. TT was brave and came out of his carrier even though he was scared. He wasn't too keen on the vet handling him so the vet didn't fuss him about too much but will instead have a good luck when he is in for neutering.

So, they both got a clean bill of health as well as confirmation that they are boys and the vets put them at 5 months.

In 4 weeks they will be going back for part 2 plus the ship and chip.

Vaccs, chip and neutering for each boy will come in at just over £80, vaccs alone would have been £75 at my usual vets!

The boys are currently in their pen inside. I haven't had them in as much as I would have liked over the past couple of weeks but they are still progressing so well...I even got TT to sit on my lap this morning (before we went to the vets).

The plan is still to take them over to my parents once they are snipped and chipped :(
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2011, 23:57:22 PM »
:luck: 'boys'  ;D

How have they been adjusting to life indoors? Have you decided whether you're going to try them with your Mum?

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2011, 23:27:37 PM »
I am off to the vets with the boys tomorrow for their first vaccinations!!!

I think they are both boys as I'm sure I found "peas" but no doubt the vets will confirm tomorrow ;)

They are getting pretty big now and I'm sure they are almost ready for neutering as Tyson lost a tooth the other day when he was chewing my fingers (I've kept the tooth) so they must be coming up to 6 months and adult teeth.

They are on the kalm aid in preparation so please wish us luck for tomorrow *scared*
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2011, 23:33:40 PM »
They are all sounding great and def we need some pictures  ;D

Offline west0405

• Senior Cat
« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2011, 22:42:52 PM »
Just read this thread from start to finish and what a great story it is! Well done Steff, you're doing an amazing job by the sound of it  :)

Can't wait to see some more of those gorgeous little ones  ;)

x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2011, 22:02:54 PM »
So they have moved inside lets hope its onwards for the powderpuffs we are sending all the helpful Purrs and some hisses from all of us here at the Clan xx
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2011, 21:44:19 PM »
Shread the kitchen roll was the new game yesterday!!!

Lots of developments today :)

I finally called the farm where mum (tia) and big bro (twoface) are. I had been putting it off just in case there was bad news for some reason, well I don't know why I was so worried. Tia is back and can be seen frequently around the farm after initially disappearing...phew! TwoFace has tamed down enough for the farmers to stroke him and even tickle him under the chin. I was so happy :D. On a more practical note, the farmer did say they were earning their keep and making sure the rat population stays down ;)

And right now, as we speak...I have two little powderpuff kittens in my house *wow* They are in the kitten cage with a sheet covering them. They've had a little bit of chicken and got to see Soap, Bourneville and Esco through the bars and there were no adverse reactions. I have now just left them covered and quiet to get used to the new smells and sounds initially.

Feliway is plugged in lol!!

Exciting times :D
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #198 on: January 22, 2011, 21:08:46 PM »
Sounds like a plan  ;D Soooo glad mine don't play the poo mice game  :evillaugh:

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2011, 12:28:05 PM »
Ok so here is the plan...

Set up the pen in my house and bring them in for a few hours each day and see how we do. Depending on how that goes I will take it from there.

I've decided that I'm in no hurry and will just see what happens.

Much to their disgust they will be off to the vets before the end of this month for checking, sexing and vaccinating.

They are really turning into little characters now! Tyson likes to climb up my legs at feeding time and is generally pretty bulshy when food/treats are around. TT is a little more reserved but in a polite way, he gently bats my hand for a piece of kiten whereas Tyson tries to grab it out of my hands.  They love the laser pen and they also think that helping me empty the litter trays is a good game!! I have to tell them that pieces of poop are not little toy mice!!! *sick*

Tyson sits of my lap and will even be picked up for cuddles and snuggles. TT likes to come to you for strokes but absolutely loves a fuss, he doesn't like being picked up...I don't think he is comfortable with his feet being off the ground bless him.

I will have to get some better up to date pics for you all because they are truly stunning balls of fluff ;D
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #196 on: January 02, 2011, 13:15:51 PM »
Misa who was 4 years old when he came here had a terrible past and was even then a big boy but he used to pull himself under the back of the recliner which is only about3 inches off the ground at the back and I watched him pull himself out but could never understand how he managed to get under the frame.

Once inside he could probably lie quiet comfortably but he was just too scared to be outside in the room for a few weeks.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #195 on: January 02, 2011, 10:39:03 AM »
I think the kitten pen in a quiet room is the way to go, and remember cats can go into the smallest of places - Ellie (18mo) got into a place i haven't seen anything bigger than a 10wo kitten get into, cos a noise scared here. and when she first started coming out of the cat room, she hid for days and she was in the same house, just a different, less quiet part of it - she was very food orientated, so easy to entice out.

One of my other timid fosters was more like a normal cat when I rehomed her, and they still had to pull the fireplace apart because she thought that was a good place to hide, and also managed to get into the desk through a hole no one knew was there - so checking the furniture for any slight hole is a good idea.

When they do let them out of the kitten pen, I would have either some boxes, or a cat tree with a box on the bottom, mine has had some massive cats squeeze into it cos it seems such a dark, safe place to go. I have also made tent like dens from material for scared cats.

will your parents be able to sit in the room for long periods of time doing quiet things to show the kittens they aren't scary creatures? I am convinced Sonny Jim came out just to stop me reading to him any longer!!

As well as the blanket suggestion, do you have anything like a small teddy bear - Sonny Jim loved his dog (he was an adult, estimated at 5), and would often curl up with it in his den.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #194 on: January 01, 2011, 22:29:15 PM »
Well it's hard for me (or any other one here) to judge as we've not seen them. It's down to your judgement as to when they will be ready.  :shy: Fingers crossed it will all go swimmingly and you seem to have already covered some of the things I would suggest... but rather safe than sorry is all I am saying - make sure anywhere they could get stuck or hurt themselves in is properly sealed up.  ;) Also don't forget to transfer scents - do they have a favourite blankie you could make a bed out of in their new home? They'll want somewhere to hide at first I would think like under a bed or a wardrobe.  :innocent: :)

Above all, cats are excellent at hiding and can stay as quiet and still as church mice for hours on end so don't let them fool you into thinking they've escaped.  :doh:

Just before Christmas I visited one of our fosterers and we thought two 6 week old kittens had escaped.  :shocked: Five of us spent an hour searching high and low. It was like they'd vanished into thin air.  :scared: Eventually we found them under the sofa. They had found a hole in the lining underneath it and had climbed INSIDE the sofa and were curled up asleep totally oblivious to our panicking.  :rofl: :rofl:

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #193 on: January 01, 2011, 20:30:59 PM »
Oh no :( that is what I am scared of Julie.

They would basically need to start again at my mums house then, maybe even be back in the kitten pen to start with and then be let in to a very secure room. One of the spare bedrooms should be ok cos they would only be able to hide under furniture but not get stuck. Then wait until they are settled before introducing to Tilly. I will of course insist on feliway, rescue remedy, kalm aid etc and chicken roll. Before that step I'll get mum over so at least she is familiar to them, in fact they will all probably happily visit as much as they can beforehand.

Does that sound like a good plan?
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #192 on: January 01, 2011, 19:40:30 PM »
Steff, do prepare for them to take a step backward in a new situation.  ;) Sabrina on this forum had a very heart breaking experience a couple of years back so awful I still can't bear to think about it.  :doh: :'( :'( She had been working with two older feral kittens for ages and felt they were ready for rehoming. They went to live with a relative I seem to recall... only one of them, the most timid one, seemed to have 'escaped' overnight and couldn't be found anywhere.  :shocked: Several weeks later they discovered it hadn't escaped the house at all but had managed to get behind the kitchen splash boards and was stuck there too terrified to come out. Puss didn't survive.  :( I've been warning people about this potential situation ever since.  :doh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #191 on: January 01, 2011, 19:28:26 PM »
Hey that's great news that they'll be staying in the family  ;D Will be lovely for you to visit them and see how happy they are when they've settled in  :)

I've no experience in such things but my instict would be to get them to your Mum's ASAP so that they can settle in and start getting to know them. They're going to be nervous in their new home initially, regardless of whether they've met your Mum, it'll just take time and patience for them to settle in.

Well done for sorting this little family out  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #190 on: January 01, 2011, 19:25:56 PM »
I would definately get your mum to visit them regularily and get them bonded to her  ;D

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #189 on: January 01, 2011, 19:21:37 PM »
Good point Des as I am just naively assuming they are both boys because of their name (although TT could be a girls name I guess). I am just nervous about how they will react to a vet visit but I know they need to go and we just need to get over that first hurdle. I picked up some more Kalm Aid at the vets so will have them on that again before we go.

I have made a massive breakthrough with TT over the Christmas period and he now let's me stroke him and purrs. He is not quite a confident as Tyson yet (Tyson jumps on my lap, let's me pick him up etc) but he is doing so very well all the same.

Its amazing to think back to how they were and how far they have come along :D

I finally told my mum about my escapades (thinking she can't moan now that I've had them for a couple of months and have been coping fine) and I wasn't surprised when she said she would have them subject to them getting on with resident cat Tilly, my dads face was a picture lol! So all being well they will be staying in the family :)

Not sure whether to get them over there soon or wait until they have come on a bit more? They are still unsure of other people. Maybe I should get my mum to visit them regularly so they at least get used to her first?? Any thoughts/suggestions welcome :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2010, 11:49:56 AM »
I wouldnt leave them too long till a vet visit if you dont know the sex.
Please spay your cat

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #187 on: December 09, 2010, 22:48:54 PM »
Glad to hear it! Still need pics though!  :P

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #186 on: December 09, 2010, 19:30:44 PM »
Sorry not updated for a while, been a bit hectic!!

Adults first...went up to the farm nearly two weeks ago to get the crate etc back and to see how Tia and TwoFace were settling in. Well Tia had managed to escape from the barn but had been seen still around the farm and had plenty of shelter and food round there to keep her close...farmer was more upset because he wanted to try and tame her down but she will no doubt pair up with their other totally feral black boy. TwoFace stayed put and has started to gain confidence around the farmer and he is hoping to be able to tame him down so he is a bit more like his other farm cats which you can stroke and pick up! Again I just wanted to hang around the farm all day!! I took some food up also just to say thanks :)

The little guys now...well mr shyguy tt actually let's me stroke him now and even pushes his head into my head although he still hasn't purred. When I feed them at lunchtime I let them out of the pen to have full run of the shed until night time which they love and has actually made them a lot more confident around me. Tyson continues to be mr friendly, I can pick him up for cuddles and he sits on my lap :D. Still don't know sex and I want them to be a bit more confident before siubjected them to a vet visit. All in all we are doing good :D 
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #185 on: November 26, 2010, 22:21:37 PM »
I am with Helen, as I said on Facebook, I need powderpuff cuteness! You can't tell us all these cute stories without visual aids :rules:

I'm honestly still not tempted..........................

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2010, 10:04:03 AM »
Glad they're getting on OK, this is all very difficult to visualise though Steff :see: :pic:  :evillaugh:

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #183 on: November 24, 2010, 19:16:06 PM »
Little ones are doing well...TT has actually started to venture out of the kitten pen now and goes off exploring the shed with Tyson. Its great to watch and they chirrup the whole time. TT is still hissy and I when he is out of the pen I can't get near him so I have to use food and the stringey toy to coax him back in after playtime.

I have resisted calling for an update on the big guys...I'm sure they are fine and if there were any problems the farmers have my number. I must get some wellies ready for the trip up there at the weekend.
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2010, 00:21:35 AM »
It really is great :) I hope they are getting on ok...I'm still having pangs of guilt. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to it though because it all comes with the territory.
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2010, 00:17:15 AM »
Yay! Sounds like a wonderful home for them!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2010, 09:51:57 AM »
Sounds like a fantastic life for them, and that is what rescue is all about.
Please spay your cat

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2010, 21:49:51 PM »
hope they settle in ok - keep up the good work
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2010, 20:06:29 PM »
Its a small family run farm so they are pretty busy (and struggling too I think) so I'd feel a bit bad pestering them. I thought I could get around it by buying from their farm shop and asking after the two beauties whilst in there.

When I was there today I'd interupted them vaccinating calves against flu.

It really was a wonderful old fashioned farm, I just wanted to hang around there all day exploring etc!!
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2010, 19:06:48 PM »
They're both beautiful and thanks to you now won't be destined for a life of scavenging and baby making  :hug:

Is the farmer amenable to you pestering him for mini-updates on how they're doing from time to time?

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2010, 18:26:24 PM »
He is sooooo handsome isn't he. When I first saw him I wished that he was friendly and that he was a boy so I could keep him...only one of my wishes came true unfortunately :(

Now I just keep thinking about all the fun they are going to have on that farm.

Oh no...their beautiful white fur is going to get sooooo muddy!!!
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2010, 18:10:13 PM »
Two Face is adorable and hope they get on well in their new home  ;D

Link to CatChat