Author Topic: 3 year old rehomed cat..when to let outside??  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: 3 year old rehomed cat..when to let outside??
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 23:06:29 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Jacky

If he seems happy and settled then if I were in your shoes I'd try to push it until 3 weeks, then let him out before breakfast so a) he'll be inclined to come back for breakfast and b) if he does go wandering you'll be able to look for him in the light.

Did the previous owner change the microchip details into your name? If they haven't done that I'd defo get that sorted before he goes out  :)

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 20:06:24 PM »
Hi Jacky,

Welcome to the forum, did anyone tell you we only give advise if you post pics  :rofl: Only joking!

There is some great advice in this section, I think this post might be helpful but check out others
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,27011.0.html

Offline jacky21130

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Cookie
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 14:56:52 PM »
we have had him for a week so far so i know its not quite time to let him out so just thought i would ask when i can in the near future! :) X

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 14:29:55 PM »
Hello Jacky and   :welcome:  to Purrs

You do not actually say how long you have had the cat.

Depending on the cat, they are all different, some rescues advise six weeks but as I say every cat is different.  When the time comes to venturing outside short supervised trips in the garden to start with and then take it from there.

Good luck
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline jacky21130

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Cookie
3 year old rehomed cat..when to let outside??
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 13:53:38 PM »
Hello!

I have rehomed a beautiful cat for a friend who has moved away and needed to find a new home for her cat so we decided to have him!
I'm just not sure when he should be allowed to go outside.. hes settling nicely and happy around the children and home etc but is showing desperate signs of wanting to go out to explore.. how long do they recommend that you leave it inbetween rehoming and letting out?
he is micro chipped, fine with the litter tray from day one, flea and worm treated and has an appetite like a horse so dont think he would have any worries in him returning home for dinner! :)

thanks in advance

Jacky

Link to CatChat