Author Topic: Legal advice need urgently on stray cat  (Read 4157 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Legal advice need urgently on stray cat
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 11:48:59 AM »
I think she was sick before the meds (although I could be wrong) and my Pep is sick if he has missed his, I know that  excess acid because of everything working too fast can cause the nausea as I've had this too.  The meds can also cause nausea as you say so sometimes the nausea just continues (I was like that before and on the meds myself)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 11:43:17 AM »
I would send her a letter by recorded post to cover yourself, and if you dont get a reply, then you can consider her yours, but just leaving messages isn't enough from a legal point of view. Fingers crossed she does get to stay with you. The sickness is likely from the meds, they dont always agree with them unfortunately.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »
Great news for Mavis  :Luv: I would think once the meds start helping her and she builds up her sickness will stop, poor love send her a hug from me  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 11:38:31 AM »
Mavis  ;D Wonderful. Glad she is with you and hope she is feeling better today.  :)

Offline Lil_Scruff

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Scratchy, Bear, Busta, Bronx, Brooklyn and part-time cats Scruff, Scamp and Scrumpberry
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 21:40:02 PM »
It sounds like poor old Mavis has fallen on her feet coming into your care Dabs. Hope the 'owner' doesn't try and kick up much of a stink.

I'm sure I speak for other Purrs members in saying I'd love to see a pic of the little lady....I understand it might be a bit tricky at the mo due to the ownership issue.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 20:34:52 PM »
Ahhh so pleased Mavis is staying with you (love the name).  I would suggest that the first thing you do is get her CHIPPED ... then she is definitely yours  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 18:58:24 PM »
Well she is a old gentle girl who is about 12 years old if not older, so she needed a old fashioned gentle name and I have called her Mavis, bless her.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 18:53:07 PM »
That's brill news that she isn't going back  ;D

I hope she will be ok. Give her a gentle cuggle from me. What's her new name then  ;D

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 11:15:44 AM »
Well it looks like that now the owner has realised just how much she is going to cost. Hee bloods have come back with her T4 raised, so she needs to start meds asap. She was quite poorly last night being oh so sick poor love, so she needs an anti emetic as well. Will start her on meds this pm, also repeat bloods in 2 weeks. Owner now not returning messages left, so assuming by default that she has relinquished cat. :evillaugh:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »
Can't help with legal either but just wanted to say  :censored: to the "owner" who hasn't helped and taken duty of care for her cat.  That is def against the animal act.

Thanks you hun for trying to help her, it must be heartbreaking for you to have to give her back to someone who hasn't cared for her.  :( :hug: :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 23:38:07 PM »
can't help with legal advice

just wondering,  though - suppose your vet were to advise lots of very expensive ongoing treatment essential to whoever has the cat - that would be enough to put some people off wanting her, don't you think :sneaky:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 21:33:19 PM »
Afraid the law is against you. The owner did not authorise bloods and can say she didnt want them ;leaving you to pay. She can also claim her cat has been missing for a long time hence poor condition of cat. Legally if she can prove the cat belongs to her you must return it.
Get photos, blood results as much as possible and report her to RSPCA, if she refuses to provide proper veterinary care; tell her what vet treatment cat needs and find out which vet she uses for the cat, this may at least frighten her into getting treatment. If she refuses to pay vet bill she is not entitled to any information from your vet.
I really feel for the cat and you, I`ve been had more than once.Good Luck  :hug:

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
Legal advice need urgently on stray cat
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 20:28:40 PM »
Right, I will be brief. White cat declared a stray, picked up by a rescue. Very thin, full of fleas, possible thyroid issues and sunburn to ears needing possible amputation. I offer to foster and cat kept with me for 9 days. On day 5 of the 10 days I say to rescue I will adopt cat if no owner turns up and I get told via email ok. I commit with rescue that I will pay all vet costs for the cat as she is in a state.

I pay for blood tests for cat yesterday and get msge today via rescue that owner has turned up, wants cat back from me. I have hit the roof and said I want money back for vet bills and also want to know why cat in such a state as owner declared she knew the cat was ill. I have threatened to report this to the RSPCA as a neglect case.

Where do I stand?

Link to CatChat