Author Topic: Dutch - was previously a missing cat, now happily reunited with owner  (Read 8040 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Dutch - was previously a missing cat, now happily reunited with owner
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2010, 09:19:32 AM »
I guess we could widen it, but TBH, I don't see any great hurry and at some point, when it is right, a suitable cat will come along. I was given a reminder of what Kylie is capable of this morning. I have posted before about the 2 tortie sisters that come in the garden. One of them was always more confident than the other, to the point that this spring, before Kylie really started spending a lot of time outside, I often found her lying on Kylie's garden bed and once, even in Kylie's house asleep  :evillaugh: - the other has always been more shy, but has gradually become more bold. I don't think they are fed very well at home and are always after food. The shyer one was right outside the back door crying for food last night and was there again this morning. I gave her a few biscuits and hoped she would go away. Instead, she kept hanging around my legs and crying. I didn't see or hear it, and nor did she, but suddenly, Kylie came flying through the flap and ferociously attacked her, there was fur everywhere. I screamed at Kylie and tried to put my foot between them - she managed to get away and over the fence but it was really nasty.

Apart from that, I really need to concentrate on getting caught up with college stuff.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:21:37 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2010, 09:02:42 AM »
my boy oscar is definately the most laid back - I'm sure the right out is out there Mark, could you widen your search a bit, don't suppose a homecheck would be a problem

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2010, 18:42:30 PM »
We must be jinxed. OH was swooning over Milky last night again. I thought I would call today and put the feelers out. I was sure he was on Tenterden branch site but couldn't find him this afternoon  :shify: - I phoned the homing officer to double check and she said he was offered a home 24 hours ago after being in rescue for months  :-: - again, he has got a home which is the main thing. She told me that maddie is the one they want to home the most ATM as she isn't doing well in a pen and needs a home environment to settle. I told her about Bruiser Brennan Kylie and she agreed that it wouldn't be fair to Maddie to put her in a situation where she might be intimidated by another cat. She also thinks that boys are less territorial and more laid back. I said we need an older boy with a 'whatever' attitude who will just ignore Kylie if she tries any nonsense on  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »
Am glad that there is a positive ending to this, and before he was placed in a home as well.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
I suppose the bottom line is that he is home where he belongs  :)

I said to OH that I am so glad we didn't have him home and start bonding as that would have been so hard to deal with.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2010, 07:21:04 AM »
May be they don't have a puter and someone told them about this? a lot of older people don't know how to go about these things.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2010, 15:00:26 PM »
strange business  :shify:

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2010, 21:10:22 PM »
Perhaps they only just found this site ? I am sure the right cat will come along for you Mark.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 20:14:26 PM »
Nothing was said to Sharon but it did cross my mind if the owner saw him on purrs when the thread was resurrected  :shify: - it does seem a bit strange that they claimed him after 2 months.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2010, 10:30:52 AM »
He is a lovely lad  :Luv:   Glad his owners are a caring bunch and will look after him  :)

Hugs to both you and Dennis for thinking of this wonderful lad. I know he would have had a fantastic home with you both  :) and now there is another lucky cat when ya ready  :)  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2010, 18:05:01 PM »
awww bless!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2010, 17:12:54 PM »
Glad he's been reunited with his owner  :)

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2010, 11:30:53 AM »
I've been following this thread, waiting to see what happens  :shify: and am surprised at the outcome but glad that gorgeous Dutch and owners are reunited, sorry for you and Denis Mark but as you say there will be just the right pud or two for you out there when the time is right  :hug:

eta: will move this now  :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:37:19 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Re: Dutch, beautiful cat but needs special home. Canterbury CP
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2010, 11:09:09 AM »
I guess we live in a society where so many people expect everything done for them. Maybe people think CP go knocking door-to-door asking if anyone has lost a cat  :shify:

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 10:30:26 AM »
Well, I find it hard to believe people are that dense that they don't see the obvious - calling resuce centres would be one of the first things I'd do if I'd lost one of my puds...

But hey, they can't all be as purrrfect as us lot on here hey??!  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2010, 10:24:25 AM »
Can't have been searching very hard for him though.  :shify:

That is exactly what I said to OH - 8 weeks+ before they looked on CP site. Dennis is more forgiving than me and said not everyone would know to phone CP or other rescues  :shify:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:24:53 AM by Mark »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 10:19:25 AM »
Wow... after all this time.  :scared: They are lucky to see him again.  :innocent: Can't have been searching very hard for him though.  :shify:

Still, pud will be glad to get back home.  :briggin:

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 10:14:09 AM »
That is a good point actually re the illness and age. Ahhhhhh I'm so glad he's been reunited  :Luv: ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 10:12:52 AM »
Sharon was satisfied that 'Benny' was hers and she is used to sniffing out BS from truth. She would have asked the right questions. It's easy to tell when people are lying. Apart from anything else, people are unlikely to try to claim an elderly cat with health problems when there is a limitless supply of healthy cats/kittens around.

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 09:51:20 AM »
wow! Can she prove "Dutch" is hers??  :shify:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 09:43:37 AM »
Update:

Sharon had a call yesterday - a woman saying "You have my cat on your website" - Dutch is called Benny and has been missing since the beginning of August. The reason he doesn't like his flank touched is because he broke his sternum in a fall in 2008. He was x-rayed to confirm this.

OH is sad but really it is a good ending that he is reunited with his owners, who Sharon said are caring and are prepared for ongoing treatment.

TBH - I thought he was a lovely cat but wasn't sure if I was ready to take on the commitment so soon after losing Clapton and was doing it for OHs sake. As Sharon said, there will always be plenty of other cats needing a home and I'm sure we will take another one or two on when we are ready.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:45:32 AM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 16:54:43 PM »
I have so much on my plate atm, unless OH mentions it, I won't be doing anything at the moment  :shy: - just went straight from college to a hospital appt, on to the vet to pick clapton's ashes up  :( - then home to deal with the branch calls - the house is a tip  :tired: - I have to choose between housework and revision now.

I did ask Lynn at AH if she knows any more. She said she thinks he is one of those unresolved cases where they have never really managed to find out why there is blood in his poo. I asked if he had been tried on sensitivity food. She checked and he has only been on r/d (low fat for pancreatitis)

ETA - I'm sure we will take him but Sarah said he needs to finish his meds first which suits me fine. Not sure when he finishes them, but as I said to Sarah, it would be best if I collected him on a Wednesday evening so I could be home for 4 straight days. I am concerned that he will be shut up in the attic bedroom like Alice was and I won't have a lot of time to spend with him. I guess it would only be for a week or 2 while scents are exchanged etc?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 18:00:00 PM by Mark »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 16:45:39 PM »
So.... when are you picking the little fella up, then?  :cat chat:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 23:12:27 PM »
Kylie and Jason!!!!!

Groan  :evillaugh:

Maybe Andres might be a better name  ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 23:13:01 PM by Mark »

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 23:04:41 PM »
Kylie and Jason!!!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 23:00:57 PM »

I really think he should be called "Jason" :rofl:

I don't get it  :-:

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 22:58:01 PM »
That's good.

I really think he should be called "Jason" :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 22:48:34 PM »
I am happy to give it a go. This may sound awful but after having to medicate a difficult cat for 5 years (2 cats when Willow was on meds for 9 months), I am quite happy to wait until he has finished his ABs. I am also going to give Caroline a call or go over for a cup of tea and have a chat. I don't want to regret taking him on. You hear about men only get the nice bits of dealing with babies. It is the same with OH and cats. To give you an idea, when we were in the garden and I was having to syringe Clapton with anti-emetics, OH wanted to go around the corner as it was upsetting to see  :-: - as if I am made of cast-iron. I don't like doing these things but it was a case of cruel to be kind.

OH is on leave studying for an exam right now. I nearly fell over when he told me Alice did a poo and it was dealt with in my absence (I had to flush it as I don't know where you keep your poo bags)  :evillaugh: (I gave instructions to keep an eye as she only did one tiny poo yesterday and there was nothing in the tray this morning)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 22:49:12 PM by Mark »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 17:51:31 PM »
but I thought it would be a temp thing until you were sure, what have you and linus got to lose!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 23:43:36 PM »
Meanwhile, OH has been going through names as if we were expecting a child (heaven forbid  :evillaugh:

LOL!

like the name Linus  ;) he does look lovely  :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 22:06:26 PM »
I am still torn. As much as I would love to offer him a home, I am concerned about Kylie and how she might react. Meanwhile, OH has been going through names as if we were expecting a child (heaven forbid  :evillaugh: )

Linus (from Peanuts) is the latest one.  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 17:59:09 PM »
what a lovely photo  :Luv2:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 17:44:58 PM »
I'm sure whatever you decide will be the right thing  :hug: Comforting to know that he'll have a lovely home if you decide that he's not right for you at the moment  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 16:51:51 PM »
We went to see him this afternoon. The photo doesn't do him justice. He is a big laid-back handsome chap  :Luv2: - He didn't bat an eye lid with us there. He is a licker like Clapton  :Luv2:

Anyway, we need to have a think. Sarah said he seems worse since he started the ABs and there was more blood in his poo than before yesterday. We don't think he is a Dutch - I said Bob as he looks like a bobcat. Sarah said that if he doesn't get rehomed, she will adopt him herself, which will mean one less foster home for the branch. I meant to take the camera. OH took a pic on the blackberry which I will post later - I doubt it will be very good though.

ETA photo
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 17:12:25 PM by Mark »

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 13:21:21 PM »
As far as i am aware Dutch has never been on a drip, just blood work and antibotics.. Call Caroline if you wish as she does know the ina and outs and also has seen Dutch a few times.. Sarah also is in the know..
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 13:18:44 PM »

Alice is on loan to you for a trial, isn't she?... how is that one going?  :innocent:

She is as good as gold  :Luv2: - will be 3 years in November  :evillaugh:

I spoke to Sarah and she is babysitting this afternoon/night so  we are going over tomorrow. By coincidence, he is on the same diet I switched Kylie over to last week - Hill's r/d (low fat)  :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 16:03:06 PM by Mark »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 13:11:45 PM »
Well with it being US, Mark, I would think a trial would be ideal thing to concider. He does need a special diet but as it's you, that won't be a problem, will it?  :hug: I do know he's on a course of meds right now but not heard anything about drips. So not sure I agree with AH there. After all, they did pass him as fit for rehoming.  :tired:

Alice is on loan to you for a trial, isn't she?... how is that one going?  :innocent:

Good luck whatever you decide to do.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 12:58:43 PM »
I am going to phone Sarah - she only lives around the corner in the same flats where Milly "Asbo Cat" lives. I spoke to the VN at AH Vets - she said she would err on the side of caution as Dutch will be high maintenance and probablt will be in out of of the vets on a drip etc  :( - I said someone has to do it and I would like to think I am fairly well-suited to the challenge. One of our biggest concerns is upsetting Kylie.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 11:43:26 AM »
Why don't you go and meet Dutch and see how you and Dennis get on with him, Mark?  :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 09:43:10 AM »
I'm delighted to hear you are thinking of rehoming another cat Mark, you and Dennis and have such a great home for them - Star my difficult girl prefers boy cats as well

Link to CatChat