Author Topic: anyone have experience in assessing adult with possible CH or brain tumour??  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Re: anyone have experience in assessing adult with possible CH or brain tumour??
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 11:29:29 AM »
Have no experience assessing adult but been giving this a lot of thought and the only experienced thought I can offer is to look at the tail, a CH cat will have been born like that and over the years learnt to use the tail totally and noticeably for balance, a cat with more recent brain problems will still be learning how to maximise balancing tools ie tail.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Hi Sarah hun

Hope she will be ok  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sending all my love over to the Sunny Harbour  :hug: :hug:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
I think we're definitely swaying more towards CH to be honest as there doesn't seem to be any major changes in her condition.

We are hoping to move her out into the dining room area in the next week so that we can monitor her in more space and see how she is coping and the problems she has.

Also hoping that it will help her confidence and make her more relaxed rather than the tense wee bunny she can be at times.

will post update on her soon!  thanks guys for taking the time to post I really do appreciated it.

I've not had much time to sit and do a full update but hoping to do one later today.  :)
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
thank you for the reply MrsR  :hug:

No problems, any other questions feel free to ask as I am ok talking about it x

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Similar to Mrs R's cat, our Timmy had a probably brain tumour.  He started having fits, was circling and went blind, it was also very quick.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
thank you for the reply MrsR  :hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
Sylvester has a very probable brain tumour and it all happened very quickly, he started turning in circles one way only and couldn't really walk in a straight lie, when he stopped turning he would frantically lick his fur.    It was very quick

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
thanks for reply :)

In honesty we are swaying more to CH and vet has ruled out injury as a cause.  CT is not an option anyway due to cost hence why trying to come up with other tell tale signs from others experiences.

she is a sweetie underneath her fear which will take time to come round but she is doing so well but working out the best plan for her future is difficult without  having a conclusion on her condition.

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
All the kitties with CH I've had came to me as kittens rather than as adult cats.  It sounds more like CH than a brain tumour which, in my experience, tends to be more immediate and profound when it starts to affect co-ordination.  The only other suggestion is that this is an old RTA injury which has left some nerve damage.  But I'm sure your vet would have thought of that!

All my CH cats have been very strong-willed and independent, great survivors - and great characters too!  So I'm not too surprised this little one has survived especially if someone was feeding her.  Boomerang, who has just died, was very intelligent, the only problem was that her brain and legs didn't work very well together.

My last remaining CH cat, Penny, gets the leg shakes and has a very determined "skoot" when on a mission.  In her younger days, she was the best hunter and even now prefers to be outdoors or in my feral shed.

Personally, I wouldn't waste money on an expensive scan.  If it is a tumour, it will become progressively worse quite quickly I would have thought, whereas if it's CH it will stay the same and may only gradually worsen with age.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
Sorry we have not posted much this last few weeks but we have been utterly swamped here and it just never seems to change!  :Crazy:

We had a wee cat that came to us couple of weeks ago that had been living stray and a lady had been feeding for a few months.  A neighbour saw this cat and reported it as dragging its back legs, contact the vet who in turn contacted ourselves.

Long story short we managed to get said kitty and took her to the vet for a once over with the final outcome a suspected brain tumour or suffering from CH.

We have observed her for the last couple of weeks and she does have a very obvious shake in the back legs with lack of co-ordination and balance but as yet have not seen him drag any of her limbs.  It does get worse as she gets more agitated or excited, eye sight seems fine as she can track toys without problem.

She is a true case of cupboard love and if you want to speak to her wit no food to offer you will get a swift swipe!!

I've done some research online and concluded the only way to know for sure which it is would be to run a  :sick: expensive CT.

SO.... I'm wondering if any other rescue peeps have taken in adults in this situation and can give any pointers on extra tell tale signs for 1 or the other or just give experiences. 

We have dealt with kittens with CH in the past however I am amazed this little one has survived outdoors for so long even though she was being fed and until we can come to some sort of conclusion on her situation it makes it very difficult to decide how to proceed with her.

For now she is happy and content and LOVES her cushion bed - ahhh the simple things!!  :Luv2:

will try to get some piccies of her later on for you when (I hope) things quieten down  (its like a circus here on a saturday!!)

Link to CatChat