Author Topic: Cat Rehoming/Adoption  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Cat Rehoming/Adoption
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 07:58:20 AM »
I'm not sure if there's been progress on this as the thread is a little old. But have you thought what would happen in the future? You're in a shared house, what would happen to the cat when you all split off to set up your own homes, or get married? What will happen to the cat when you're on holiday? Will you be bearing the brunt of all the vet bills?

I just mention this as I'll be rehoming some cats very soon and wouldn't consider a shared house ideal, unless the prospective slave could demonstrate that they've thought it through. A cat can live for 20 years, have you considered that far ahead?
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 23:24:18 PM »
No need to name 'that rescue' as we can all guess.  :tired: Not having permission is a bit difficult. It can leave you in a difficult position if you go ahead and get a cat and your landlord suddenly emerges and says the cat has to go.  :innocent:

Here's another thought...have you considered fostering a cat? The rescue should pay all expenses so no worries on the 'can I afford it' score. You get to have the company of a kitty and the warm glow inside from knowing you've helped save a life.  :briggin: When puddy does find a forever home, you take in another needy soul. Or... should your landlord suddenly object, the rescue will remove puddy to someone else.  ;)

Offline LexxySixx

• Kitten
  • You Never Choose a Cat....A Cat Chooses You
  • Slave to: Amy, Jasper (RIP) Ellie (RIP) Billy-Bob (RIP) Ethel and Gladis
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 23:01:26 PM »
Thank you Tan  :thanks:
You Can Never Choose A Cat....A Cat Chooses You.

...Spare A Thought For Some Of Our Senoir Kittizens...They Need Love Too <3

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 22:40:05 PM »
Hi hun

I'm not sure if the rescue would need to be certain that your landlord is ok with you having animals there.  I would think so as they would be looking to rehome cats to a permanent  home. Rescue members would be able to tell ya more though. :)

:hug:

Offline LexxySixx

• Kitten
  • You Never Choose a Cat....A Cat Chooses You
  • Slave to: Amy, Jasper (RIP) Ellie (RIP) Billy-Bob (RIP) Ethel and Gladis
Cat Rehoming/Adoption
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 15:29:29 PM »
I also posted this thread on Cat Chat for some advice, but I thought id ask here too  :) the more advice the better i think  :)

I recently moved into a rented house, and im looking to adopt a cat of my own, I have always lived with kitties growing up, I feel my house isnt a home without a kitty  :'(

As my landlord is pretty much none existant, after numerous emails to him, to ask for a letter to say I can have kitties at the property he hasnt replied, would that leave me unable to adopt a rescue cat? :'(
The house itself is a shared house with 3 of my close friends i went to university with, who are really excited at the prospect of having a new addition  :)

Im worried about the homecheck tbh, my friend who lives with her bf in their own home not shared, tried to adopt a cat, and was told no, because their house was not owned and they didnt have enough savings (she told me the homechecker scrutinised both of their bank statements and payslips), this was by a ''well known'' rescue organisation :shocked: which is understandable yet frustrating, as I cant help but feel like its this kind of attitude which drives people to kitten farms or being put off from having a rescue cat :(

Im certainly not rich or have savings, but i sure have enough money to care for a kitty, I fully intend to take out pet insurance and have even researched quotes to  cover the cost of caring for my little friend  :)

I was curious about the criteria which rescues look for in a potential home? and are home checks as traumatic as they are made out to be?
You Can Never Choose A Cat....A Cat Chooses You.

...Spare A Thought For Some Of Our Senoir Kittizens...They Need Love Too <3

Link to CatChat