Author Topic: Am I thinking with my heart instead of my head??  (Read 7321 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Am I thinking with my heart instead of my head??
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 03:50:27 AM »
Very sad about the kittens but I am sure she will be so happy living with you  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 01:08:53 AM »
Sorry to hear that Susan  :hug: At least some good has come from it in that she has found herself a loving forever home  :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 20:02:05 PM »
So sad that Tich lost her babies but maybe Mother Nature knew best  :(  Glad to hear that she is settling and and bless you for giving her a wonderful forever home xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 18:12:04 PM »
:( That's sad Susan, I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Bless her. I'm sure with all your love, care and attention she will come through it all ok. Glad she is fitting in with your guys :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Susan + 8

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 11:45:30 AM »
Just to update you all...

Poor Titchy Roo lost her kittens a week or so ago. Thankfully she reabsorbed them, as opposed to giving birth to them, but it was still very sad, as I'm sure you can all imagine. She just kind of deflated one day, and when I took her to the vet they had gone  :'( I was warned that she might still have to deliver the after-births, but so far nothing.

Titch is still here, and coming along leaps and bounds. She's out of the maternity unit now (the bathroom!) and is mixing with my others well. She's very close to Oliver, my 5 month old ex feral, and she'll be getting spayed either this week or next (I wanted to give her a chance to settle in after losing the kittens before I put her through anymore trauma, but she's doing really well and I think I should just get it over and done with now).

She's such a pretty little girl, and will be spoilt rotten for the rest of her life  :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 11:54:02 AM by Susan + 7 »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 09:55:21 AM »
well done Susan, space is really the only thing that stops me getting more!

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 10:43:58 AM »
and i amsure you will be the bestest meowmy ever! :Luv2:
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 02:26:37 AM »
Well done  ;D

Offline Susan + 8

• Adult Cat
Re: Am I thinking with my heart instead of my head?? - Heart won!
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 23:44:48 PM »
She definitely found me...and I'm SO glad she did :) She's a lovely little cat  :Luv2:

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 22:43:14 PM »
 :innocent: ok the photos did it for me.....my heart rules everytime....i would keep her....but is that practical blah blah blah.....i beleive cats FIND us......dont you? :Luv2: xxxx
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Susan + 8

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 22:20:47 PM »
Done!  :evillaugh:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 21:22:06 PM »
So change your handle to Susan + 7 ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Susan + 8

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 21:20:05 PM »
She's staying  ;D

Offline Susan + 8

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 21:06:45 PM »
Thanks Trigger  :thanks:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 20:56:33 PM »
can't answer your query re being at work, but this is on the Q&A section of Profender's website

1s it safe to use in pregnant or lactating cats?
Yes, the spot-on solution is safe to use even in pregnant or lactating cats.
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Susan + 8

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 20:47:47 PM »
My other cats all seem fine, to be honest, as I do the introductions very slowly and gradually. Lady is my original cat and as long as she still gets her cuddle time in the evenings she's not bothered by anything else!

Ok, so three weeks to go then! That's plenty of time to read up on cat labour and newborn kitten care....!

One more thing I should have mentioned; I work part-time. 21hrs a week. What on earth would I do if she had her kittens while I was at work and something terrible happened?? Would a rescue still be keen to have me as the foster mum of a pregnant cat when you take into consideration that I will be out a lot of the time during the day?

Going slightly off track, Titch was sick this evening and I could very clearly see a worm in amongst it all as I was clearing up. Is it okay for a pregnant cat to have profender spot on? I have a little stock, so could worm her this evening if it's ok. I've just been reading through the instructions but it doesn't mention mums-to-be  :scared:

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 20:27:56 PM »
I picked up one out of area from a vets on behalf of another charity which the vets said was halfway through so around 5 wks.  Having had her for 2 wks now and she too has hair receded from nipples and is a bit rounded until she lies down when it all disappears, I think she has 3 wks to go as I was not totally convinced she was halfway.  Of course, she may just be small.

Would still suggest asking rescue what is possible.  We cover a huge area and still have people just about falling off our radar but you'd be surprised what we would do for an offer like yours.  So still worth an ask.  And would still recommend what everyone else is saying - keep little Titch so she can have her kittens with you.

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 20:17:07 PM »
Well my heart says go for it! You have the love, the room and the money...

How are your other cats as the numbers increase. I know personally that Ella would LOVE another cat in the house. Any other cat she sees you can see the excitment in her and she follows our neighbours cat everywhere. Effie, tolerates Ella as they get older. She would much rather be in a one cat household I reckon (although she is never far away from checking what Ella is doing) It is Effie that stops me getting another cat!

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 18:41:46 PM »
Of course you are thinking with your heart instead of your head Hun - I think that most of us cat lovers always do :Luv2:

Titch is very lucky to have found you and if she is so settled and trusting with you I would keep her where she is x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Susan + 8

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 18:33:53 PM »
Thanks everyone, I think I will have a chat with my rescue tomorrow and see what they say... They are too far away to offer emergency or veterinary care, but we'll see what they say....

I have no idea how far along she is...her nipples are very prominent and the fur around them seems to have receded. She feels very "lumpy" around her stomach, and appears quite large when she's lying down, but then loses her tummy as soon as she stands up. I've trapped a very pregnant feral once before and she was huge by comparison. Any ideas?  :-:

Thanks again for all of your replies  :)

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 17:57:44 PM »
Speaking as a rescue, if we had someone who offered to "foster" pregnant cat with everything else as Suzanne suggests, especially at the moment, we would jump at that offer.  Not only does it give the rescue their space back to offer another needy cat, you will be able to give Titch so much more 1-2-1 care than most rescues can manage.  If it were us, we would treat you just as a fosterer with full veterinary backup and certainly help with rehoming the kittens and take on the vaccinating etc of the kittens and the cost of spaying mum, especially if you are offering her a permanent home.  Don't be shy about asking - you will (hopefully) be surprised and delighted by the rescue's reaction.

Cats don't often have complications but if you have the rescue as backup for help and advice - and veterinary care - then that is a bonus for you.

If the rescue is too far away to make this feasible, then at least see if they are prepared to give you phone backup if there are complications and to help with rehoming the kittens.

Do you know how far along the pregnancy she is? 

Can only reiterate what Liz says - 7 is a lucky number, especially several times over  :rofl:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 13:06:17 PM »
If you have the time and space to let her have her kittens in a safe warm environment then do it!

Let the rescue take the kittens for homing - if she trusts you she will let you handle the kittens making them domestics born to a feral mum - I am not for putting pregnant ferals in a pen and letting them have their babies better a safe warm place where she trusts you and build on the bonding process if you want her to become number 7

There is a 7+ cat club - I am a member several times over  :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 12:36:36 PM »
It sounds as though Titch would be best staying where she is, given that she is only relaxed around you.  Can you ask the rescue to work with you (as though you are fosterer) so that she can stay there but they help by giving supplies (if needed) and advice, and rehome the kittens (but the kittens staying with you until rehomed)?

Offline Susan + 8

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 11:58:09 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies, most appreciated.

I think my cats would be fine with Titch, as long as they were all introduced correctly - they're used to me bringing home strays! It actually used to just be the three of them for a couple of years until Figaro came to live last November, and Annie and Oliver (my two little feral kittens) only moved in 6 weeks ago. Oliver actually came into the bathroom with me this morning to see Titch (he was quite insistent!) and the two of them were head butting like old friends, which I guess they are, considering they come from the same colony  :Luv:

BUT...would I cope with her going into labour? Yes, as long as I didn't have to do anything! But she's tiny, she's not much more than a kitten herself (hence her name!). What would I do if a kitten got stuck? (PANIC, springs to mind!) And I would be heartbroken if one died (or heaven forbid even more of them) because I did something wrong, or didn't help her when I could have if only I knew what I was doing...

And then there's finding homes for the kittens. I'd feel terrible taking them to a rescue to be homed, but I wouldn't want them going to just any old home so they would need to go to a rescue so that home checks could be done etc....in which case is it better that they're born into a rescue so that they don't have three different homes (my house, the rescue and then finally their new owner's house) in their short little lives? I don't want to cause them unnecessary stress  :(

But then what of Titch? She only trusts me at the moment, and reverts back to her "feral" self around anyone else. How stressed will she be going to a rescue? Could she lose the kittens? And also will the rescue think it's really cheeky of me to dump her there for them to deal with the kittens and then take her again once they're weaned and leave them with the problem of homing the kittens?? How much does raising newborn kittens cost, on average? I would want to make a donation to cover their care. And will Titch remember me after being at the rescue for a while, or will she be afraid of me too by the time I get her back? It's taken months for me to get her how she is now.

I am so torn and the end of the week is looming so I just have to make a decision soon. The thought of letting her go, even for a couple of months while she raises her kittens brings such a huge lump to my throat...but she trusts me so I have to do what's right for HER, not me. Someone tell me how to do that please! xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:32:51 AM »
There's not just cost to consider - I agree with sounding out how your other cats feel about (the rather lovely) Titch.

I completely understand why she's won your heart, though. Beautiful girl!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 08:28:49 AM »
I personally would keep her where she is -
She'll need a nice quiet room for when she has the kittens, away from your other cats.
Only problem is, you'll have to find homes for the kittens (and I couldn't take kittens away from their Mum !!)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:37:00 AM »
As you know I'm in the 6 pud club too  :)

If it were me Susan, I would hand over responsibility to the rescue and be extremely grateful I could  :innocent:.  I would absolutely hate the responsibility of caring for a cat with new borns.  It would worry me so much. I'm delighted you feel able to offer mom a home after the kittens arrive.  Isn't Titch a beauty?   :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:  I'm not sure if there's a 7 pud club  :shify: s'pose there must be  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 01:57:50 AM »
My goodness what a predicament  ;D

To be honest I dont know the answer about Ms Titch, except that she needs neutering after her kittens are weaned  :innocent:

How do your others act with new cats is one question?

What will happen to her kittens if you keep her?

What will happen to the kittens if she comes back to you?

Would you be able to cope with her having the kittens and any possible problems?

Sorry all questions but relevant to the total answer I think!

I wish I could do better but my excuse is that its very late.......sigh...........I hope someone will do better for you tomorrow  :hug: :hug:

Offline Susan + 8

• Adult Cat
Am I thinking with my heart instead of my head??
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 00:11:52 AM »
For those of you who don't know, I have slowly been catching the ferals that live at the top of my street and handing them over to a wonderful rescue in the country who neuter them and care for them and allow them the freedom of the hills. I have 6 cats of my own, two of these are tamed feral kitties from up the street, and another is a big FIV+ soft lump stray who was living with the colony and who now has all of the home home comforts he could ever ask for :)

So, this weekend just gone I took in Titch, a very mellow feral pregnant girl who acts more like a stray than a feral. She is beautiful and friendly and just so incredibly grateful for every stroke and chin rub that I give her. She is currently in my bathroom, eating me out of house and home, and is very chilled out and relaxed.

Now for the dilemma.

I would like to keep her (it's an illness, I'm sure!  :evillaugh:) but am I being fair to my other 6?? We can afford it, and we have the space, but am I being selfish?? Please be honest with your thoughts...

And secondly, what do I do about her impending motherhood? I have a space lined up for her at a rescue at the end of the week...do I let her go to the rescue to have her kittens where I know she'll be looked after by people with lots of experience and then ask for her back once the kittens have weaned...or do I keep her here, where she's settled and happy and purring, even though I have no experience of very young newborn kittens or indeed of cat labour itself? What do you think??

I'm very torn!

This is Titchy Titch:

Link to CatChat