Author Topic: Are we going to find it difficult to adopt?  (Read 5452 times)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Re: Are we going to find it difficult to adopt?
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 17:42:16 PM »
Thanks JackSpratt. At the moment there are a few possibles with other rescue homes that we're looking into but if they don't work out, I'll email Niall.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 14:49:31 PM »
I've just realised you're in Kent! Can I suggest emailing nialllester@hotmail.com He's a rescue lad and I know he's got quite a few cats as well as dogs (and probably other animals as well knowing Niall) needing homes.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 13:15:36 PM »
I am sorry that these two weren't right for you - Gilly was probably just tortietude!! I am sure the right at is out there for you though, and you are right that it is better to wait for the right cat than just to take the first ones you see.
Please spay your cat

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 12:49:01 PM »
We went to meet them yesterday but sadly they are not for us - it's hard to explain, but you either click or you don't. I feel very bad about it but I know we made the right decision.

Gwen was sweet, I even got her to play with me a little but she didn't come out of her bed in the hour we were there - this wasn't a problem, she's obviously just a quiet little girl.

Gilly was alternately very affectionate and very grumpy (she lashed out a few times - although not always with claws - and growled!), which in the end made me nervous and to be honest I can't have a cat I feel nervous around as it wouldn't be any good for either the cat or me. These girls have had a bad time in the past and they need the right home with confident owners. That said, I think Gilly's grumpiness is just her nature rather than the result of her past (it might just be me but all the tortoiseshells I've ever met are a bit prone to sudden mood changes!).

Anyway, it was a very difficult decision but in the end I'd rather feel sad for not taking a cat than to take the wrong one and for all of us to be unhappy. And at least it's given us a better idea of the sort of cats we want (stupidly, I just thought that almost any rescued cat would be fine :-[ ).

But these cats are sweet little things (Gilly's moodiness apart!), and will make great pets for the right people. Streetkatz have done a fantastic job with them!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 12:14:15 PM »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 06:47:41 AM »
Best of luck xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 00:13:19 AM »
:crossed:

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 22:18:57 PM »
I have EVERYTHING crossed those two cats are gorgeous!!!

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 19:57:27 PM »
Hopefully there will be a happy ending - we're going to meet Gwen and Gilly on Saturday. Keep your collective fingers (and paws) crossed for us that we all like each other!

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 23:45:22 PM »
Awww be nice to know if there is a happy ending :)

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 18:47:51 PM »
Oh, yes, we cover 7oaks.  The cats are being fostered in Brenchley about 20-30 mins down the A21 (time depending on traffic, time of day and which side of 7oaks you live!) so let me know if that's a possibility for you in due course.

I love black cats too - just as well as a lot seem to end up staying with me!!

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 16:05:55 PM »
He particularly likes black cats!

oooh me and my hubby do too  :Luv2: :Luv2: 

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 15:59:18 PM »
Yes, Gilly and Gwen are gorgeous (mind you, I can't look at a cat and not find him/her gorgeous in some way!). My OH is away for a week so I can't make any decisions just yet -  but I'll send him the link in the meantime. He particularly likes black cats!

Streetkatz - would we be close enough for you to do a home check (we're in Sevenoaks)?

Fire Fox and Ann, that's very kind of you! In fact, thanks to everyone for your kind words and encouragement.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 15:21:35 PM »
They are gorgeous and sound ideal. Some beautiful cats you have there on your website Teddy is yummy  :Luv2:

Just to say too Jezebel that you sound like just the sort of people we would love to rehome to, I'm sure you'll have no trouble in being able to adopt  ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 09:51:09 AM »
Aww, I've just had a look at Gilly and Gwen they are lovely!! and sound ideal  ;)

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 09:45:30 AM »
We have a pair of older females, mother and daughter, which might suit.  Check out Gilly & Gwen on our website!  We do have other cats coming through all the time. 

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 23:55:17 PM »
 :welcome: You sound like you could provide a wonderful home to the right cat(s), thinking about what is best for them as well as yourself.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 21:40:50 PM »
Ah, okay, I didn't know that.

However, I don't think there are any CP branches local to me but there are several independent rescue homes fairly near so I think I will start with those.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 21:30:45 PM »
but I thought I'd try the smaller, local places first as they get the least amount of publicity and money.

I don't blame you, but at the same time, the branches don't get any funding from HQ - we have our own fundraisers - some of the ladies stand outside all day in our local junior school car park. The school allow us to use their car park some weekends (other charities use it too) for 1/2 of the money given for parking. Also, Angela (Pudding on here) has food bins in local supermarkets & vets.  HQ money mainly goes on the neutering budget. The only time they give money to a branch is is there is a feral colony or something unusual and the branch has to apply for a grant.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 20:01:56 PM »
Go for Winnie!! Go for Winnie!!!!

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 20:00:28 PM »
Hope you find the right cat for you. I just clicked on the romneyhouse link. So sad to see all those cats needing a home  :scared:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 15:06:27 PM »
Mark, I'm actually not that far from Romney House, thanks for the link.

I haven't contacted local CP - in fact, I haven't approached anyone yet! Wanted to settle into the new place first before I did anything proactive. Nothing against CP (I've supported them for years, sponsor a cat cabin, etc) but I thought I'd try the smaller, local places first as they get the least amount of publicity and money.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 10:32:22 AM »
Also fiv cats are difficult to home and need indoor lives to protect them from illnesses. shame you're not in coventry!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 22:20:26 PM »
I don't think you will have any trouble - or at least, shouldn't have any. Not sure if Streetkatz can help you. Have you spoken to your local CP branch about it?

I'm another ex-Londoner (Islington/Hackney), now living in Kent (Whitstable).

I'm also a CP volunteer (Canterbury & district)  and we have homed lots of indoor cats. Obviously if cats have been used to going outside, we (well Sharon, our homing person) will try to find them a home with outdoor access, but there are still cats that for various reasons, are better off as indoor cats. We had a couple of cats last year that had been living on a wardrobe for a couple of years. It was horrible - the woman got a dog and the cats were scared of it. She ended up feeding them and having a litter tray on there and the cats never came down  :( - it took her a couple of years to decide that it wasn't right  :tired: - anyway, they were rehomed to a lovely woman who actually lives near me. She has a 2-bed maisonette. She said the spare bedroom is a chillout room for the cats. They have had a wonderful life with her - she dotes on them  :) - sadly, one of them died recently but the 16 year old is spoiled rotten and rules the roost apparently  :evillaugh:

Not sure how close you are but you could also try Romney House - Silvana is lovely and I'm sure she will have a cat or cats for you  :) http://www.romneyhousecatrescue.org.uk/

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 21:47:23 PM »
you could look into adopting a couple of oldies who aren't that bothered about going out or would maybe potter in the garden with you when you're home. 

Janeyk, that's exactly what I'd love!

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 10:50:04 AM »
Hi Jezebel

Welcome to Kent.  :welcome:   I escaped from SE London 14 years ago and have never regretted it (well, maybe the shops!!).  I shouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to find suitable cats for your location/situation with a bit of care and advice.  I think all the rescues round here are struggling with finding any homes so I'm sure you will be welcomed with open arms!!  Already this morning various vets have phoned me up asking me to take in 3 strays which they have had in for at least a week. It's really bad at the moment and homing is so slow! 

This is a great forum for helpful advice so you will never be short of an answer to whatever query you have.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:19:48 AM »
Hi Jezebel,

Older cats sound ideal for you, I only adopt oldies and find they tend to stay in the garden all the time (even my deaf/blind boy never wonders) but my garden/where I live is pretty safe too.  Would it possible to catproof your garden?  if not you could look into adopting a couple of oldies who aren't that bothered about going out or would may be potter in the garden with you when you're home.  Best of luck!

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
Are we going to find it difficult to adopt?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:13:02 AM »
I adore cats and have been without one for far too long now (my last cat reached the respectable age of 14 before he was diagnosed with lymphoma - that was several years ago now and I still miss him). As I mentioned in my newbie thread, I've been living in a second floor flat with a no pets rule but have recently moved somewhere where I can have a pet (I had it added to our tenancy agreement - it actually states we can keep TWO cats! 8)).

Anyway, here's the thing: although we now have a good sized garden, there's no cat flap - and nowhere to put one (the only access to the garden is via double glazed patio doors). I suppose we could adopt an indoor cat but it would be a shame (not to mention very difficult!) not to be able to let them into the garden.

And we also live on a fairly busy road - although there's no direct access to it from the garden.

I realise both of these issues are not ideal for rehoming a cat, but would we still be considered?

On the plus side, we have no children and no other pets.

We'd also like to adopt older cats (we're out at work all day so kittens - much as we'd love them - aren't really suitable), and we'd like two, so we could take a pair that need to be rehomed together.

I suppose what we're looking for are two older cats who are happy to be indoors with a litter tray most of the time, but who would also like a garden to visit in the evenings and at weekends!  :Crazy:

Link to CatChat