Author Topic: Stray in my spare room - what to do next?  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Stray in my spare room - what to do next?
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 13:57:27 PM »
Just wanted to say it's lovely of you to take him in and give hiim a home whether temporary or otherwise. 

Sounds like he was in a very bad way and you're a star for what you have done so far  :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 13:47:48 PM »
He's picked you Tiga, whether you like it or not. Strays do that a lot!  :evillaugh:

Good point about finding out FIV status but if he's neutered the chances are on your side.  ;) Just get him on as many waiting lists as you can. Something will spring loose soon.  :)

Oh... and piccies help!!  :pic:  ;)

Offline Susan + 8

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 21:40:39 PM »
You could contact your local cat rescues to see if they have space for him, but make sure you check out what will happen if they can't home him / he tests positive for FIV. I used to think 3 cats was enough...until I took in a stray under very similar circumstances to you...I fell in love with him and decided that 4 was enough....until my two little feral kittens came along!  :rofl:  :rofl: 6 is definitely enough...for now!  :evillaugh: Give him a cuddle from me  :Luv:

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 12:28:41 PM »
Why not ask the local CP just for help looking for a home whilst you 'foster' him? - seeing as you have done such a great job already!
They should help with any vets bills and provide food/litter if needed. 

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 07:37:27 AM »
Well done  :hug: any of us would do the same - cant wait to see him - give him a cuddle from me :Luv:   :hug:

I wish I could pick Sid my stray cat up - but he is a little on the wild side, so going to plan W in the trapping, tying the door open with string and gettying him used to going in fo his dinner. Then I will undo and hold the sting, once in hopfully bingo  :scared:

there is another kitty Mr Tabbs, he has a home (all be it not a nice one), he is thin, and entire  :'(, he always has a BIG cry & miow for me, and a headbutt, he's a real sweetie.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 23:25:27 PM »
Good on you for taking him in, poor baby :care:

See here to find a list of all rescues in your area - http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html

Worth ringing around to get him on the waiting list at least  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 15:40:06 PM »
Thats a lovely kind thing to do -well done for caring  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I once said 2 was enough and ended up with 5   :rofl: -now down to 4 and still been thinking of another at some point.

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 15:26:46 PM »
Well done you for caring and taking him in for the time being, he sounds like a poor little lad but bet he'll be right as rain with a few meals inside him! I'd give you some advice but afraid that the last time that happened to me I ended up with Darcy  :evillaugh: There will probably be some smaller rescues in your area, might be worth ringing them or asking around to see if there are any fosterers in your area?

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
Stray in my spare room - what to do next?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 15:06:01 PM »
On Friday evening I found a really poorly looking cat hanging around in the middle of the street. It came over to me while I was putting stuff in my car and I was shocked at how skinny and ill it looked. Picked it up, very friendly, but sores all over it and obviously starving, very thin. Went up and down both sides of the street asking if anyone knew where it lived. Few people said they thought it was a stray. Was wondering whether to leave it as it may have a home but it was so poorly, couldn't and took it home.

On Sat I took it to the vet but there was no microchip and he is a neutered male, about 8. Very bad flea allergy and vet said has obviously been scavenging, not fed in a while but couldn't see any other issues. My vets do work with a couple of rescues including Cats Protection but they said they were full up, other option was RSPCA but they would put him down - no chance I'm sending him to them. I got him the flea allergy injection and flea stuff for him and my lot (mine are indoors so don't do flea stuff). He is now happily hanging out in my spare room, eating lots of small meals, often. ;D His skin has settled down nicely and I am giving him fish oil on his food to help his skin and coat. My cats are on guard at the door! >:(

I am taking some pics of him tonight, doing a poster, sending emails to the various websites with description and image but doubt anyone is looking for him. Never know though. What else do you suggest for finding him a home? My vets are liaising with Cats Protection so they should be ringing me soon but I know all the rescues are full.

I will obviously put up on here and Cat CHat when I have a pic.

Thanks for any hints. He is lovely and friendly but I cannot have another cat. Three is enough!

Link to CatChat