Author Topic: Opinions needed re a potential home for Tinkerbell - Still looking  (Read 3615 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Opinions needed re a potential home for Tinkerbell - Still looking
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 20:01:47 PM »
Tinkerbells new home has fallen through. She's still looking, sadly.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
OK, a possible home has been found for this lovely girl. The downside is there needs to be a transport run, but the upside is that if the vet reference is as good as I think it's going to be she'll have a loving home for life.

Please check out the transport section. :)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Opinions needed re a potential home for Tinkerbell
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 21:41:14 PM »
True. I think maybe he asked me to get opinions because he wasn't too sure about them for Tinkerbell but didn't want to just rule them out. Was quite nice when he responded saying he didn't feel they were right for her in all honesty. Just wish we could find her somewhere she'll get the love and affection she deserves. (She looks a little sweetheart to me.)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 21:04:01 PM »
The chap said he isn't warming to the people at all and thinks they aren't right for Tinkerbell. It's nice to see someone caring so much.

He answered for himself  ;D i always say trust your gut on things.
In regards to the indoor issue i wouldnt just say no on that, how many fiv toms live indoor lives having free roamed and some for many many months, they get on ok  :Luv2:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 08:45:35 AM »
really depends on the individual cat in our opinion and each case has to be weighed on its own merits and the temperament, background, health of the cat but also the dedication of the new owner that if they are having an indoor only cat that they are committed to his/her mental and physical stimulation.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 08:07:21 AM »
I wouldnt home a cat that was used to being outside as an indoor only cat, not all cats can adapt.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 06:32:28 AM »
I don't think it fair for a cat to stay indoors if they've always likde to go out but I think if they are going out then they should be in a safe garden.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 22:12:37 PM »
That's nice that he isn't just rushing to palm her on to the first person that comes forward :D

That's what I thought; I know he's struggling a bit financially as he has two of his own as well.

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 21:40:36 PM »
That's nice that he isn't just rushing to palm her on to the first person that comes forward :D
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 18:32:56 PM »
The chap said he isn't warming to the people at all and thinks they aren't right for Tinkerbell. It's nice to see someone caring so much.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 14:00:56 PM »
I think with indoor homing it really depends on the individual cat.

Obviously both my boys being FIV+ had to be indoors anyway, but they were both picked up as strays, so had been well used to outdoor access for a period of time.

Max coped, he would have liked to go outside I'm sure, but he had enough toys etc to keep him occupied.

Poot is way more settled than Maxy was, you can leave the front door open and he just has no interest in it at all, just wants to have cuddles and then his dinner!  He's never made a break for freedom, whereas Max would try it every now and then if the front door was unmanned for more than a few seconds lol!!!

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 13:37:42 PM »
When I rehomed Bourneville he had been allowed out by his previous owners but due to his stomach problems the vet reccommended he be an indoor cat so he couldn't go off eating anything other than his special diet and this was why he was being rehomed (the people had another cat who went out and didn't think it was fair).

Since he has been with me he has always been pretty happy being at home (he is pretty lazy). He got out a couple of times in the early days but I think that was more curiousity.

All 3 of mine are indoor and are perfectly happy (even though Marble was born on a farm and was out and about as a kitten). I do have a pen for them so they can have fresh air and their litter trays are out there too.

From a safety aspect I think having indoor cats is a great idea but undersatnd that there are cats that just love to be out (like my parents cat).

I think if Tinkerbell had enough toys and stimulation she could be quite happy indoors only.

Would maybe advise the potential new owners about getting window screens, just in case...especially with them being on the second floor.
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 13:37:16 PM »
I don't think it is fair to a cat that is used to garden access. I think it could cause stress issues. I know Sharon goes out of her way to rehome cats that are used to going out to places with gardens. Maybe different if the cat is elderly or FIV but it is sentencing a cat to a confined life. Different if they don't know any better.

When I adopted Kylie, the North London CP rehoming centre only rehomed cats that were used to going out to places with a garden. I know Kylie would be miserable if she had to stay inside 24/7

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 18:43:02 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Opinions needed re a potential home for Tinkerbell - Still looking
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »
The current carer sent this to me earlier:

Someone has asked about Tinkerbell from one of the websites my friend put her on. They have said she would be moving to a second floor flat and would be a indoor cat, Tinkerbell has been going outside for a while now so I'm not quite sure if she'll be ok with that. She doesn't spend a lot of time outside when she does go out but she does go out everyday. They have said that they are previous cat owners, and there last cat lived until they were 18. They also stated they are keen cat lovers. Do you think this home would suit her?

I asked if he wanted me to post on here to get opinions from experienced rescues and he said he'd very much appreciate it. What're peoples thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 20:01:22 PM by JackSpratt »

Link to CatChat