Author Topic: Would you take on a cat with a lumpy belly from a Rescue?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: Would you take on a cat with a lumpy belly from a Rescue?
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 09:47:15 AM »
this is just a comment based on Lucy we had a wee while ago that at 16wks she had lumps on her mammary glands which did turn out to be hormonal though at that time she wasn't neutered - they settled down of their own accord within a couple of weeks too.

Lesley - I think you did the right thing and the right thing to do is to not take the little one and raise concerns with management or HQ.  By taking the little one its only going to encourage them that they can do it and get away with palming people off - without a reasonable explanation of back up from the rescue then the woman is right to walk away.

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Pudding

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 11:06:18 AM »
Actually, I'd report the branch to HQ.

The cats should be confirmed healthy before they go or if a pre existing condition that they know about, fund it.
Thats what we would do and were not rolling in it......

But of course then you will not be sure of where the cat will end up..... Tricky.

By taking the kitten you are allowing this rescue to slip into shoddy practises. If it is R***A you really should report it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:06:47 AM by Pudding »

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 00:12:48 AM »
I would take them so they are out of the hands of the rescue and get them to my own vets so they could be looked after properly.

I took Bourneville on after being told he had a sensitive tummy but was fine as long as he had Hills Sensitive...over £300 in vets bills later he was pretty much sorted because there were other problems (just has to have JWB).

Financially this wasn't ideal for me...I was 21 and had just bought my first home and was on a trainee wage...but I would have done anything for him and just used my credit card! I know not everyone would/could do that but it didn't do me any harm :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 19:26:57 PM »
I would adopt it because i'd wonder who they may fob it off with and if they would care as much as i would! If the cats were pregnant spays but the staff didnt want to say so it could explain the 'hormonal' response from the vets

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 08:21:46 AM »
I would probably take the cat on and the vet has now assessed it but it does seem odd that the rescue hadn't sorted this out before they adopted the cat.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 08:22:20 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 08:19:43 AM »

But of course then you will not be sure of where the cat will end up..... Tricky.

That is the problem. If the people are willing to take the kitten on as is but want some reassurances about possible vet bills, they sound perfect. Otherwise, I think I know what the kitten's fate may be  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 08:07:36 AM »
What an awful situation - how old is the cat?
Please spay your cat

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 18:33:22 PM »
Actually, I'd report the branch to HQ.

The cats should be confirmed healthy before they go or if a pre existing condition that they know about, fund it.
Thats what we would do and were not rolling in it......

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 18:09:16 PM »
Lesley what a horrible situation. I think you've done the right thing. I can't believe the centre won't test her. They are potentially letting her suffer!!!
It was one of the places I rang before finding You and My little furbabes. They won't even consider a flat/indoor cat, weren't interested in taking My name incase an indoor cat came in to be rescued either.

Feel sorry for the couple who are just trying to do the right thing.

Hope they have a kitten of you instead.

Nikcy x

Offline Pudding

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 17:17:17 PM »
I don't like emotional blackmail and R****A do it a lot. I would find some kittens that are ready for homing as this little fella clearly isn't.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 16:17:49 PM »
I know when I took on Alice, Sharon said due to her having had cancer, the branch would pay for anything cancer related (obviously I have her insured but cancer won't be covered)

If their vet insists there is nothing wrong and doesn't think testing is necessary, they could ask for a letter stating that - then when they insure her, if the worst happens, she will be covered?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 16:01:32 PM »
If I mention R***A, maybe you will be able to understand why they won't budge on the issue or offer any sort of compromise. :shocked:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 15:59:18 PM »
I think for me it would be the potential heartbreak of losing her through illness so young, obviously anything could happen to an animal of any age after they've been adopted but at least they would have pet insurance in place to cover themselves.

A compromise could be for them to offer to pay for the tests to put their mind at rest. If it was something sinister and something that could not afford to treat themselves (obv insurance would rule it out as pre-existing) then at least she would still be under the care of the rescue centre. I know the rescue may not be rolling in money but at least they have the opportunity to fundraise to pay for the treatment. If it's nothing untoward then they can all live happily ever after.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 15:57:48 PM »
Sounds a bit fishy that the rescue aren't concerned for the poor girl's health, all costs aside! I think they should still offer to take the cat with the understanding that any medical bills as a result of the tests are picked up by the rescue. They could blame the insurance and say their insurer won't cover them for known problems. Or something.

Either way, I hope it works out for them, it must be heart breaking.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Tiggerman

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 15:47:58 PM »
Taking on a cat with an existing medical condition is fine as long as you have loads of money to meet the possible medical bills.

I would have thought that most people dont fall into this category.

It is a bit strange - to me anyway - for a rescue to try and offload a cat like this. Or is it?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 15:41:25 PM »
I am in agreement with you and would not take such a cat on, seems to me that possibly this rescue is being naughty cos they really should make sure this cat is Ok and dont like a vet who will not test when he should.

Sounds like a fob off the cat on someone that has become attached and avoid any medical costs and other issues  :(

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
Would you take on a cat with a lumpy belly from a Rescue?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 15:28:55 PM »
Just had a call from a lady who is looking for a black kitten.  Her husband phoned a week ago and I advised him of Miaow Miaow and suggested he call in a week to see if she had given birth.

Lady called today to say they had been to a large rescue in our area looking for a kitten/young adult and were advised that they only home in pairs (even if they did not come in as pairs).  After much umming and ahhing they decided they would take two on and chose two young females, both spayed very recently. 

They had been visiting on a daily basis and late last week the husband noticed one of the cats had lumps in her belly. :-:  They mentioned it to one of the staff who said "yeah I noticed that too". :shocked:  After husband mentioned concern, the staff member said she would mention it to the Supervisor and they would get the vet to have a look.

The couple received a phone call from the Centre and were advised that the Vet had decided the lumps were "strange" and the cat needed a blood test which would be carried out last Friday.  Friday evening the couple got a call to say the Vet had looked at the cat and decided that it was hormonal and she did not now need a blood test and was fine to go but advised that they monitor her "closely" weekly over the next three months. :shify:

Obviously, they had become pretty attached to the cat and were in a quandry as to whether to take her now or not and phoned me for advice.  The Centre they are getting the cats from will not be liable for any veterinary care once the cats have left their care so if the lumps should turn out to be something "sinister" the couple will be liable for all vet bills.

I feel hard but I advised them that I, as a per owner, would not take on a cat that could possibly turn out to have medical problems in the near future.  I advised her of mammary tumours and she said she had read about these.  The Centre will not let them take the other cat without taking this one, so they are now in a position of getting attached to two cats and not being able to have either of them.

Did I do the right thing?  I think she had probably made her mind up but just wanted to talk it over with someone to see if she had made the right decision.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 15:29:22 PM by Lesley (Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue) »
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Link to CatChat