Author Topic: Well that told them! (or is it me?)  (Read 6558 times)

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
Re: Well that told them! (or is it me?)
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 21:03:48 PM »
I decided to steal your little advert (with a few tweaks) and post it on my local one. Only one response so far.

Hi there!
I just wanted to tell you that I totally agree with your message and it is very good that you have written this and advertised it.
However, you also need to take into consideration that Shelters and charities are very picky and very strick in their procedures and this why most people - including my self I have started looking for a kitten through the ads in gumtree. I have been rejected over the phone just because I do not live in a house but in a flat, and then the next thing was that she hung up on me. When you get this behaviour you will follow an ad and go a buy a cat although this was not (and still is) not my intention- especially when you know that there are countless kittens looking for homes out there.
Its sad but its the reality...anyway I hope things will get better...by the way, I am still looking for a cat...in gumtree...
E.

I've responded asking her (or him) to try some independent rescues as I suspect this may have been one of the larger ones but I can see her point. A few purrs peeps have come up against this too.

I did however say that perhaps a kitten was a selfish want on her part and that perhaps some consideration should be taken with regards tot he welfare of a kitten in this situation and to maybe consider a special needs mog.

I'm not optimistic but at least I tried!

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 19:46:09 PM »
You go girl! I am surprised at the amount of idiots who think we get paid for our work!
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 08:51:17 AM »
Excellent  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 08:41:32 AM »
Am so pleased Angie  :)  A result indeed.  Nice surprise

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 08:23:35 AM »
Glad they have re-instated it
Please spay your cat

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 08:13:36 AM »
back on topie, a result

I am very sorry for the delay caused because of the error. I understand you have not offended any rules with your ad, so I have just re-posted your ad. I have also bumped up your ad for free which will make your ad appear at the top of the listing to compensate for the error.

It is a tricky balance to fully prevent inappropriate ads from appearing on the site while making sure genuine ads, such as yours are not removed. We are working constantly on getting this balance just right, but in the meantime thank you for your patience and understanding.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 21:12:39 PM »

This is better and more apt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOnbM7X4BYg
:rofl:
I love it when the one dogs gets off and the other one looks over as if to say 'how come he doesn't have to sit here and be embarrassed.

ps just used spell checker for the first time - has that Tan loaded a rude version?
 :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 20:03:54 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 19:48:52 PM »
banned again... (naturally)
btw, who sang that bleeding 70's song  'alone again.. naturally'?

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 19:03:05 PM »
heard nothing yet from them so posted again on the Leicester site (my thanks to catchat, lol)

Rescues are full to the brim with unwanted animals.

If you want a pet please look to your local rescue.

This way you are helping a needy animal and the money you give them will help towards animal welfare in your area and not the over-breeding that occurs by people selling kittens and puppies.

There are many rescues, big and small, in the Leicester area - these are just a few

RSPCA - LEICESTERSHIRE (WOODSIDE ANIMAL CENTRE)
Caring for over 3000 animals each year, and finding homes

...and the rest of the list though had to take a lot of the text away!

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »
Well done Ang!!!  Unfortunately, i'm not surprised, disgusted, but not surprised by the replies! When i set up a petition to make it law to get cats neutered asap, i had exactly the same responses on another site and only 71 signatures!  :(  The cat population will never die out and have no need for shelters while people like that are so stupid and ignorant!  >:(
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 12:43:38 PM by Shirley »

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 09:43:20 AM »
Good for you, Angie, for speaking out. Its unbelievable the ignorant responses and I can't understand why your post was removed. I had a similar experience when I posted a protest on my intranet site at work after seeing a kittens for sale ad there. My post was removed after the IT department received 'numerous' complaints. Now when I see a kittens for sale ad there I post a 'positive' ad on the back of it directing people to rescues if they are looking for cats/kittens. These posts are not removed so the message still gets across.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 09:05:13 AM »
If even one person has taken notice Angie then thats good, you can only try  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 07:51:50 AM »
Good on you for trying, even if only one person read it and took some notice (Even if they didn't respond) it is a good thing. Annoying that they felt hte need to take it down though.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 23:11:14 PM »
Angie, at least you've tried even if they don't listen. Well done. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 23:06:25 PM »
Wot you gone and un Angie  :-:.  I've never gone on that site  ... ever... but you just got me sending message and RSPCA info sheet to someone in West Brom selling 7 week old tabby kitten with a  :censored: collar on  :(

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 22:54:44 PM »
Well done Angie but you know these pikey morons won't take a blind bit of notice.

no but made me feel a bit better. I am now officially calm after the stress of last week.... I am officiall............ :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 22:43:19 PM »
Well done Angie but you know these pikey morons won't take a blind bit of notice.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 21:58:32 PM »
Oh well done auntie Angie.   :hug:

Dinah, Ruby and Millie
xxx
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 21:59:37 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 19:58:40 PM »
 :cheer:  Well done you!  The Kent site is not much used but the London one makes me weep.  So much hot water...so little time  :sneaky:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 18:03:02 PM »
Well its off the Leicer site now and I have complained - think there is something in the water...... >:(

I think it very unfair (though not at all surprising) that you have removed my ad due to the fact that 2 serial breeders have complained.

I wish you always acted as quickly on complaints when ads are placed selling 6 week old kittens when it is your policy that they should be at least 8 weeks old. These Ads go onto your site with this in the title. (I do realise you do not have time or the will to vet all the ads so respond to complaints in case you feel the need to tell me).

You even warn that the site should not be used for commercial breeding and yet the same people advertise kittens time and time again.   Is this really what your community section is about?

Gumtree should make it a policy to promote good pet care and your attitude makes many rescues up and down the country very angry.
If you can't do this then simply do the responsible thing and don't have an animal section.

I have stepped in on several of the ads and only recently came back (when expecting to pick up 4 6-week kittens) with 3 mums and litters. They were all rushed late one evening to a vet, one mother cat had a womb infection and though we did operate she dies two days later. Another of the kittens was dead on arrival at the vets and in the end only 1 cat survived.

Also the amount of scams that seem to be around in this area of Gumtree is appalling.

and with all that, you see fit to remove my advert?

Can I please have a proper response from someone who has some responsibility for this site.
 Angie

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 18:02:44 PM »
Goooooooo Angie.........well said  :hug: :hug:

Offline Pudding

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 18:00:35 PM »

My ad is neither narrow minded or pointless, the only point to yours is making money on the back of your cat!

dID THIS GET A REPLY?

sOMETIMES IT JUST HAS TO BE SAID. :tired:
Ooops capslock on and I'm too tired to change it ( but not too tired to type even more?    :loon: thats just me.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 18:02:38 PM by Pudding »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 17:53:00 PM »
you can't argue with that can you Angie  >:(

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
Well that told them! (or is it me?)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 17:41:38 PM »
OK, a rather irritating ad on a certain site riled myself (and Judith!) so I posted the following on Leicester, Coventry and Birmingham sites. Loads of typos and much more I should have said.....

If you really are a animal lover and can provide a good home then please go to a rescue.

You may have to 'pay' more for your animal than in some other adverts you see but you know the animal will be healthy and that you will have back up from the rescue.

As rescuers it saddens us to see so many cats being put up for rehoming.
And as for kittens, the reality is that no one should be allowing their cats to have kittens. They don't need to, won't miss it. There are far too many of them to home and all the older cats (anything over 6 months old) have a really hard time of it.

By paying for these kittens , you are encouraging to allow this over breeding to continue. The usual excuse for people to charge for their kittens is to ensure a good home, but then they are never concerned enough to do home visits .
Kittens are not always treated with effective wormers or flea products and very often kittens are let go far too early. This means their health can be compromised and may also leads to behavioural problems later.
At least with an adoption fee given to a rescue, the money will go to help reduce the number of unwanted cats and not promote this back yard breeding.

Neutering cats is an inexpensive procedure and for those who cannot really afford it, larger charities such as the Cats Protection and RSPCA can alway help out.

two replies from the Leicester with my responses to them......

sorry but i feel compelled to reply to your listing. not all "back yard breeders" treat their kittens/cat appaulingly asyou suggest.

I didn't suggest that. just a lot of people do lie when they say wormed etc or have shaken a box of some ineffective johnson at them.
We have know kittens to be homes at 5 weeks old with mum then coming in to us with Mastitis and people fobbing off 4 months olds as 8 weeks olds - not to mention every fluffy cat is a persian cross and every tabby a bengal cross!

if all cats were neutered then you would be out of a job as we wouldnt need a cat shelter because there would be no cats.

that would be a fantastic situation but never happen because of strays that get pregnant and management of feral colonies, where kittens are tamed down for homing. There will always be those animals that need new homes cos of death, allergies, moving, emigrating, don't want to pay the vet bills, can't be arsed - sadly the list is endless and we might find ourselves in a position to help the people with real needs.

god, the creator of all, intended cats/dogs and all other creatures to breed at their own will, human intervention is against gods creation. if he/she had not wanted cats etc to breed he would not have provided them with reproductive organs. by the way i am not a do gooder/church goer or even a believer in god but i have to put across FACT to narrow minded rescue shelters who believe in non breeding. if animals did not breed, then there would be no shelters,

i don't believe in god either so on that we can agree. But by the same argument  animal numbers are meant naturally to be kept under control by illness and disease so should we not take them to vets?

thus you would all be yet another number on the unemployed scale and eventually the animal kingdom would fizzle out and die.

All the work that most rescuers do is unpaid voluntary work and while we are not busy with the cats or trying to educate people we are busily trying to fundraise to pay for all the vets bills. That on top of normal things like work and families.

so please leave appropriate, caring breeders alone.

If you are a registered breeder breeding good healthy animals, leaving them time to grow up with mum, inoculating them and all the rest , I don't have too much of a problem with you.

If you are a breeder that allows your queens to have too many litters, doesn't really have much regard for welfare (See the list of prosecutions on the cat fanciers website!) or like some of the ones we've dealt with that provide false vaccination  cards while we pay hundreds of pounds to save one of their kittens that was given sickly to some person who does not have a clue then I do have a problem.

If you are happily allowing your moggies to breed then I'm afraid I consider you the scum of the earth, you have no regard what so ever for animal welfare and I would be interested to know if you declare your earnings for tax and benefit reasons.

AND

Very narrow minded and pointless ad!

Well I'm afraid you would say that trying to sell off your moggies as something special even though thats what they are. It means nothing that mum is a persian though to the general population there may be some ignorant to think this bestows special qualities on the kittens.

I tell you what, come and pay us a visit and spend some time on the phone with us, cats protection and we can even visit the local RSPCA shelter and chat to the manager there.

If you really love cats you may begin to appreciate what problems you are adding to by doing what you are doing.
Do you home visit before you home your kittens? Do you offer to have them back if a problem arises such as the landlord gets to hear about the cat, someone develops an allergy or finds out they are pregnant? If you so take them back do you take them back if you are not able to resell them because they are no longer cute and fluffy or do you duck and wait for the nearest rescue to step in?

My ad is neither narrow minded or pointless, the only point to yours is making money on the back of your cat!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 17:42:14 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Link to CatChat