Author Topic: Has anyone rehomed a cat to a registered blind person?  (Read 2674 times)

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
Re: Has anyone rehomed a cat to a registered blind person?
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 08:46:19 AM »
If my kitty is ill I can usually tell long before I see him as he sounds different when he meows (he is a fairly vocal cat that likes to announce he has come in through the catflap or that he is waiting in the kitchen for me to dish up a tasty treat) or his habits change and I just sense it. I can't explain how it works, but I just can tell if he is sick and it doesn't come down to vision. When he had a lump a couple of months ago. I knew there was something up a few weeks before the lump was large enough to detect and had taken him to the vet and the vet had said there was nothing wrong with him. Thankfully, once the lump had been found, it turned out to be a cyst and nothing too sinister and Widget had it removed and is fine again. None of this diagnosis came from looking at him. It just came from me knowing him so well and finally feeling the lump on his belly when I was grooming him.

I know quite a few registered blind people with various ranges of sight from mildly impaired to totally blind and most of them have pets that they care for... cats come high on their list of pet choices because of their independent nature. I see no reason why, if the right cat is matched to the right person, that it wouldn't work out just fine for both the kitty and the blind person.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 10:36:01 AM »
you would be amazed at what the non sighted can pick up that we can't Janey

oh yes, I don't doubt that at all, I have done a bit of work related to blind people in the past but it was a very long time ago and I remember that they manage very well.  I also have a blind cat, well he's also deaf and he's just amazing!  he uses all his other senses and is very independent.  It was just a few thoughts really and the sensing the illness would be what would worry me the most, I suppose though most blind people will have family, friends or other people who call and will also help.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 09:51:08 AM »
Couple of things that we did / advised

only use small amoutn of litter in tray - when they use it empty it completely into a bag and then top up again.

We cut down a food measuring cup to the required height so that they could know exactly how much to feed.

Advised pouched food instead of tins.

you would be amazed at what the non sighted can pick up that we can't Janey

Also a big indicator to how a cat is feeling is a change in routine and them hiding - which sighted or non sighted can sense and that being the case they can get the cat to the vet if needed. 

So long as this person has though everything through then give them a chance.  We ran a 3 week trial before completing the adoption paperwork just to make sure that they have made the right choice and were coping OK especially as they had never had a cat before.  We gave a little more support in the first couple of weeks.

Also by running the trial it made it slightly less daunting for the adoptee so that she knew in the back of her mind should she not cope there wasn't going to be any major drama and we would simply bring Chloe back to the harbour.

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 08:18:15 AM »
Actualy I've been thinking about this as I don't really know much about blind people although they seem to manage really well but one thing that worries a bit is how a blind person alone can tell if their cat isn't well? and I was discussing this with my hubby and he mentioned cleaning the litter tray etc just a few thoughts  :shy:

Offline Lizzie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 21:02:40 PM »
Cats, dogs and many other animals have a sense that we humans don't have when it comes to blindness, they can tell and cope with it very well.

I've seen how pets behaved around my (totally) blind grandfather - it was amazing, they definitely knew he was blind.  Likewise my grandfather had a sense that I certainly don't have where he could sense if there were any problems with the pets.

Only problem I can remember was the odd occasion when tails got in the way, but this can also happen to fully sighted owners!

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 12:43:49 PM »
That's a lovely story  :Luv:

I hope that all goes well with this xx

Offline littlebrambles

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
    • Little Brambles fosters cats
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 12:21:08 PM »
I'm looking forward to meeting this lady - she sounds very sensible and has clearly thought this through. I think as already said it's a matter of getting the right cat.

I have rehomed to several people with special needs - including a lady who used a wheelchair which was an amazing success.

She had limited use of her limbs and constantly shook her body. She had a little farm kitten from me who was so switched on it was unbelievable. The kitten took no notice of her shaking and would curl up around her neck and wash her eyebrows. When the lady's carer pops out for a short time such as to the Post Office the cat will sit and guard her mummy and has even stood in the doorway as if to prevent anyone coming in. The bond between the cat and the owner has to be seen to be believed. The owner can only drink out of a straw and the cat has even tried this herself!! Several times she has pushed the straw into her mums mouth too. All this from a little ex feral - makes my heart sing !

Anyway, thanks for the positive thumbs up on this one. Just hope I can find the right cat.  ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 10:44:49 AM »
I so hate it when rescues are close minded, so I love reading stories like this where people are given a chance - if all rescues could be the same, more cats could be enjoying a home life.

Agree entirely, Desley. ;) Hope you find this lady her perfect companion.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 10:21:41 AM »
No advice, but this thread gives me a really warm fuzzy feeling. I so hate it when rescues are close minded, so I love reading stories like this where people are given a chance - if all rescues could be the same, more cats could be enjoying a home life.
Please spay your cat

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 09:21:37 AM »
I have done this with no problems whatsoever - the lady we homed to was completely blind and she copes brilliantly with support staff around if she needs it though she cares for her dog, cat and her reptiles by herself and all are immaculate. They all see vet when needed and Cleo wears a collar with bell but aside from that in most cases the lady knows where she is as cleo is quite talkative.

one thing this lady did say to me was that she had thought about it very fully for around a year and whilst she understood that they can get underfoot she kinda shuffles round the house anyway.  cleo and her dog jess get on brilliantly well and the whole thing has worked out very well .

I don't see any problem in such circumstances so long as the person has considered everything fully.

We have had quite a few similar cases but with say amputees, mental health, etc as other rescues round here can be very small minded about such things - their loss our gain! 

Give the lady a chance I'd say - you may be surprised.  ;)
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 08:51:18 AM »
If the blin can cope with caring for a large dog then I am sure they can cope with the right cat! ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 00:02:34 AM »
She might have some sight. Being registered blind doesn't mean totally blind.  ;) Great idea about a big bell.  :sneaky:

I would pick a very tactile puss that loves lots of cuddles. They'll have a blast watching over each other.  :)

Offline littlebrambles

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 18:12:20 PM »
Thanks for that.

I don't want to be too judgemental as I've only spoken to her on the phone but will keep an open mind when I visit. She understands that the cat will have to be a certain "type" and she is more than happy to wait.

It's a difficult one !

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 18:08:24 PM »
Yes... i have!
Indeed I suffer from glacoma and thus have a sight issue.. I would give certain conditions. cat has to wear a collar and bell, nothing to young the more sedate the better and one that has  calm personality. Is the cat being kept indoors?  I see no issues as long as the lady can cope with a litter tray and is willing to persevere if or when the cat decides that he would rather stay outside and does not come when called.

Cat flap a must and easy access, maybe a cat with with a distinctive moew and also dark coloured as the lady may have some light perception...! She needs to work on things but if she is coping at the moment on her own then i see no issues providing you find the right cat..

She also needs to make sure the cat has regulary checks up at vets and idea of feeding requirements... 

I do remember reading an article on this a few months ago that gave advice, but plenty of visually impared, blind or deaf people take on animals its just being sensible as to their needs both the animal and the person...
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 17:41:12 PM »
As much as I hate the idea of denying someone that loves cats from having one, we all know how cats get under your feet - I have gone flying on several occasions - especially when there is coley cookig in the microwave  :evillaugh: - I would be concerned about that - unless the lady has a full-time carer?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline littlebrambles

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
Has anyone rehomed a cat to a registered blind person?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 15:15:47 PM »
I've had a lovely lady enquiring about adopting an adult cat from me and she is registered blind.

I don't have a problem with it but just wondered if anyone else has adopted out in similar circumstances. She hasn't had a cat before and I'm off to see her in a week or two for a home visit. She lives on her own.

Fortunately she is near enough to me for me to pop and see her regularly if she needs it. I was just going over the practicalities of this in my mind - any advice welcome  8)

Link to CatChat