Author Topic: Foster mom cat just attacked me :( !!  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Foster mom cat just attacked me :( !!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 00:39:40 AM »
I am sure it will all calm down and she will love you just as much as she did in a few days  :hug: :hug:

Try not to be scared of her , its hard but she will react to your vibes.

I remember my big Misa making as if to attack me  and it was very scarey and he had come from a bad bac kground and was scared cos I had put on a hat, he was fine when he realized it was still me.

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 23:01:40 PM »
aww sorry you were so upset,    when Gracie Dirty Face was spayed she wanted nothing more to do with the kittens,  still now she hisses at both Ruby Red Drawers and Piccalli Polkadot Pants,  she bashes them and generally is quite agressive towards them,  but she never hurts them,  she just got fed up with them wanting to be mothered  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 19:47:46 PM »
It can be difficult for mum cats, some stay with their kittens around and are very happy and content and their clock ticks slower, others start preparing for the next litter (which she assumes is happening!) being indoors with 2 other adults and her babies maybe isnt how she expects to have her next litter. Just remember how grumpy hormones can make humans, thats how she feels!
Dakota was a right moo bag when she arrived at mine, she would scream at the sight of another cat  :scared: :scared: a couple weeks after being spayed she really calmed down, shes still not good with other cats but a far improvement  ;D

Have you any used bedding you can rub on her to help cover the vet smell? Be calm with her, she doesnt know she did anything wrong  :(

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 16:42:18 PM »
Thanks a lot for your kind replies. Yes, after I felt hurt I understood mom is probably afraid and upset. Also I am reading spaying older cats is harder on the hormones. 

BF wanted to get her out on the streets, he was angry...  but I told him we would regret it later and she is not a bad cat. She is just recovering and I won't abandon her now... I will just send BF to take care of her now  :evillaugh:

I will see a doc. and .. this is a good excuse to... see if I can buy a similar dress  ;) I wish I can get mine repaired..

I can take this as an exercise on compassion and I really hope they recognize each other again....

Before, mom cat went for my smallest cat Gabanna, they had hissed and somehow Gabanna was able to open the door she was in. BF separated them and no cat was hurt but it was scary as well. Now I'm afraid of trixi and before she even sit on my lap, was very loving, etc  :'(

Thanks your support helps tons.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 16:29:47 PM »
Just remember that neither of them would have intended to hurt you, they were just reacting instinctively  :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 07:50:26 AM »
Aw..!  :hug: :hug:

It's all to do with smells I'm afraid. If mum cat has been spayed and returned to her kittens, she'll smell of nasty vet stuff. She's confused as to why the kittens don't smell like her anymore and the kittens don't understand why mum doesn't smell the way she used to.  :doh: It'll take a few days to settle down.  ;)

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
Foster mom cat just attacked me :( !!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 06:48:47 AM »
I am very upset and a crying mess.

Sorry to vent here.

She got spayed yesterday and was on a room on her own. She was hissing to her kittens and the kittens were hissing at her.

I came in and opened both doors, well some kittens were more friendly. Some were not so I closed the door but one came in to Mom's room. They were very hostile and I was afraid they would fight so I tried to grab the little one! what a dumb move. Mom jumped on me and scratched my arm :( so when I yelled and pushed Mom away the little one got angry and scratched me too!! it was very scary to have both cats jumping at me, so unexpected   :( I washed my scars with water and will see a friend doc tomorrow.

I am upset and needed a place to vent. I am angry my favorite dress was ruined! I feel like an idiot for trying to save the kitten...  I really felt Mom was going to attack him.
Thanks for listening.  :'( A really bad night over here.

Link to CatChat