Author Topic: Useless feral release  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Useless feral release
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 12:25:54 PM »
Saw one of them yesterday evening by the pond (now devoid of any fish under 6 inches long - including 2 new recent additions due to heron).

some hedgie poo in their pen by the food bowls.

I Am playing with a camera to see if I can catch them but the cable is not quite long enough to postion properly and the camera is shoved in the hedge giving a lovely view of a tree at 45 degrees and not much else - will fiddle later and keep on this evening in the hope of spotting something.

Henry my outside cat has been mooching around the kitchen today so perhaps he will decide to become more indoor and they can take over his pren if they are still around.

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 09:03:26 AM »
Gracie Dirty Face was a feral and she can get out of anything,  she can open windows,  open doors and generally is a lot smarter than any of my other cats,  I have no chance when I take her to the vet,  Steve always has to come with me as she is out of the carrier in 30 seconds flat.   :hug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 08:54:48 AM »
  ' Don't give up on the ferals, they so need our help '    Don't they just, poor things!   :Luv2: :Luv2:

Hope you have some luck today, Angie  :hug: :hug:

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 20:59:01 PM »
Angie, don't despair.  If you've had them for 6 months, they will only go for a quick explore of their surroundings and then suss they had it good with you!!  Putting out some familiar smells as well as some food will help (slippers or shoes are good for essence of you that will tempt them to hang around

Have been working with ferals for 25 yrs and still have heart failure every time I release some.  Don't give up on the ferals, they so need our help  :)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 19:51:38 PM »
I have to say our ferals are all very smart cookies - so long as there is food out I don't think they will go far - ours took 6 months to trap as we had a mass break out through a broken window the day after we moved here - I started with 37 and woke up with 6 still in the house and a broken window - I took 6 long months to get all of mine back home and am still putting the same amount of food out at night in the 2 feeding statins so have got all mine back and gained some more ferals!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 17:49:18 PM »
their smart wee beggars Angie - don't beat yourself up about it.  These things happen.  :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Karen-covcats

• Adult Cat
  • my babies
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 16:09:38 PM »
Oh no which ferals was it? Hopefully they know a good thing when they see it and will hang around :(

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
Useless feral release
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 14:30:34 PM »
Oh well, I'll admit it. I set up the pen that the group had in the garden for ferals (a big folding rabbit run) - took me all morning to secure it but the 4 ferals 5 minutes to get out.

They have been with me for over 6 months in the house so hopefully will decide to stay around the area, they are welcome to live in the garden and be fed by me.

I think, apart from TNR , we have to stop doing ferals as at the moment we do not have the right facilities.....

Damn.  :'(

Link to CatChat