Author Topic: Am I a suitable cat owner? Please be honest!  (Read 8564 times)

Offline Meezer Mum

• Adult Cat
Re: Am I a suitable cat owner? Please be honest!
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 12:50:33 PM »
to a mouse a cat is a cat, whether young or old, they instinctively stay away from homes with cats in them (mostly), so don't let that put you off getting a cat of an older age.  if you are both working then you should definitely get a pair in my opinion. I am not cat expert, but surely it is not fair to leave a creature alone for 9/10 hours a day...and then what about if you are going out straight from work? they'll be left even longer.  if you get a pair you can also leave them in your home together when you go on holidays, and just have a cat-sitter visit (much less stressful than a cattery) .

i am looking for a companion for my older siamese for the reasons stated above, alone too long during the day. he is definitely not as happy as he was now that he is a lone cat, i am hoping to have some news this week about a potential friend for him (maybe even today!)

if i could i would home those mini's (below) in a flash, what a pair of cuties - the mum looks like Rex.  and on the plus side they won't take up much room! 

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 19:49:48 PM »
Hi Oatybix  :welcome: to Purrs (great name btw  :evillaugh: )

I'm going to second, third and fourth all the advice already given. IMHO you could pick any kitten under the sun and it'll turn out to be a mouse-friendly pacifist. We all know cats do like to test us. They are, after all planning world domination.

For that reason as well as all the others that have gone before I'd say get an adult. I have a three year old persian who definitely keeps me on my toes. Chatting to the rescues and-I hate to say it-patience will prove far more fruitful. You will find yourself with a new member of the family ready and willing to bond with you, your oh and your...erm...other residents!

Many a time at our shelter we've had keen mousers of all ages.

If you get one who's been at the rescue for a while (due to being FIV for example), the volunteers will be able to let you know exactly what makes them tick.

Best of luck and I hope there really is a lack of kittens in Edinburgh, cos there ain't anywhere else!
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 18:51:00 PM »
Kocka aged about 16 found a mouse outside in the garden when I was in London and she spent years looking for another  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 18:44:26 PM »
Just pop into the cat and Dog home and Cat protection league - they are only about 15 mins apart by bus and both have a big selection of cats - as someone already said you will know as soon as you come accross the right cat.

They will also be able to advise on the best cats for dealing with your problem. I live in a stair in Edinburgh and all my neighbours have mice - I don't - never have and my two are both coming up for 12, so don't rule out the oldies just yet. Not sure if the mice just sense a cat but they have never appeared anywhere near me - as a result another two households have a cat now!  :rofl:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 17:59:32 PM »
Probaly best you don't get a raggie then as mine just are so silly they just let the rabbits and gerbils run round and don't bother with them. So if you get a raggie like mine you might just come home to a load of mice climbing all over him/her :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:.

Please please don't use sites like gumtree etc there are so so so many back street breeders on them that really only care about making a quick buck they will sell kittens far to young,really sick and probaly use there cats as breeding machines were they are just bred the life out of.
Please please go to a rescue as there are so so many cats that need homes.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 17:48:00 PM »
do not use that site......please.

there are so many wonderful cats out there, have you checked the rescues on cat chat?

Offline Oatybix

• Kitten
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 17:42:33 PM »
I really appreciate everybody's thoughtful and honest replies on this. I have a lot to talk to my husband about now!

My sister told me that kittens can't be found in Edinburgh for love nor money, well, that's not strictly true there are some breeders who sell them, but that wasn't the route I'd hoped to go down.

The reason all this has come up in the first place is that I have a mouse problem in my flat, and would love a cat sprightly enough to see them off the premises. So for that reason I don't really want an old or infirm cat.

I think I will have to compromise and accept that I will more likely now be looking for a young adult cat. I just need to find one cute enough to appeal to my hubby, who isn't really much of a pet person but is a pushover for a pretty face!

Can I ask if anybody here has experience of using gumtree to find pets?

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 14:51:50 PM »
I wonder if that rescue with a huge list of people wanting indoor cats could send them all to us at the UKRCC as we have loads of raggies and 2 maine coons that need homes soon.

I would personally rescue an older cat myself as so many people want kittens and after all that cute bundle of fluff isn't going to stay a cute little kitten for long.
I personally do think if you are having a kitten or cat that lives only indoors that it is better to have two so they have company and you are less likely for them to develop behavoiur problems.

If you think you would like to consider homing an older ragdoll cat  maybe then please look at our site www.ukrcc.co.uk as well as other rescues as well.
With older cats you know what your getting but with kittens it takes longer for them to develop there personailty so one thats loving as a baby can become very aloof when older.With a rescue cat its much more rewarding.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 12:23:57 PM »
We had our burmese (Lirael) from age 6 months and she was an only cat for 2 years. She wasn't unhappy per say but when we adopted a 2 year old moggie (Smoke) Lirael had a companion and they play and torment each other and us (along with their two brothers) and pretty much have a blast.

I will say when Lirael was home alone we would normally come home to something chewed to bits, she's mostly stopped since we got the other cats (unless I'm ignoring her at 4am then all paper is fair game).

My husband who had never had a pet in his life bonded with Lirael (who used to steal whatever he was doing so he would pay attention to her), and all the rest very well. They all love him and sit on his lap when he's on the computer or playing the xbox. Or they'll sit in front of the TV (helpful as always).

(all my cats are indoor only)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:24:21 PM by Sabrina (Auferstehen) »

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 12:11:12 PM »
Hi there, what I would recommend is going to shelter or two and having a look around with no pressure but to get an idea of different cats and they way they react etc, you will honestly know the right cat(s) when you see him/them  :briggin:

All of my cats have been adult rescue cats (although I grew up with kittens) and I have to say I have had the best experiences, an older cat will often be very happy as an indoor lapcat and happy enough alone or in a pair especially if you both work full time. I personally wouldn't like to think of a kitten alone all day, cats are so sociable, I definitely would recommend getting two for company, as it seems everyone would, sorry about that!

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 10:15:39 AM »
HI Oatybix... welcome to the forum!

You will find that there is a shortage of kittens in one respect in the area but part and parcel for that (I Believe) is that there are far more people looking to 'sell' them and exploit the mums rather than hand them into rescues where they can go to vetted homes.  Some of these poor cats are on their 2ndor 3rd litters.

You may find it a tad difficult to home to an indoor home in the Edinburgh area and we very often have people coming to us because of it.  We're on the Fife side.

I hope you find your perfect companion soon!   

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 10:04:29 AM »
My boy Max is an indoor only cat, and he's just fine on his own to be honest  :wow:

He's one of the FIV boys on the site, and he's nearly 10 now, and since he's been with me he's always been an only cat. 

J is often in and out during the day anyway, so he's rarely in the house all day on his own, but even when he is, he sleeps in the day and plays like a crazy cat when we get home instead  :Luv:

I would defo say adopting an FIV cat could be a good option for you, as they have to be homed indoors  ;D

Hope you find the puurrrfect companion soon  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 08:56:12 AM »
 :Luv: :Luv: Nala and Nellie. Not because they're small because they're stunning. Although so is Flo!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 08:03:28 AM »
Sorry I should have added that Bertie was a lone indoors cat and perfectly happy and content although there was normally someone home for at least part of the day and cat protection league did check this with me. He was specifically re-homed as a lone cat and could not be with other cats so I kept it that way. Now I have two - double the fun but understand if you just want one - there are lots of cats who prefer it that way too!!

I had a wee look at West Lothian and noticed this babe Willow - he is a senior puss but maybe I am biased in saying older cants - especially boys are very affectionate - he can be rehomed alone. I know you said young cat but pah I can't help but love the old boys lol!!

http://www.cats-westlothian.org.uk/willow_honey_ash.htm

I did see this little lady too - a kitten and looking for adult only home (not sure what your future plans are)

http://www.catchat.org/whinny/cgibin/prview.cgi?id=2008090101

and Flo is lovely too but doesn't say whether she needs outdoors access

http://www.catchat.org/whinny/cgibin/prview.cgi?id=2008082810

and just in case you are tempted by two - look at these little mini's!!

http://www.cats-westlothian.org.uk/nala_nellie.htm

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 01:06:58 AM »
Just to re-itterate what others have said about an older cat being able to bond just as well - much better than I would have thought to the point that after Bertie had to be put to sleep I opted for two more indoor older gents.

I am also in Edinburgh and would actually back up what you say about Kittens in Edinburgh - I have been told on other forums and cat websites that for some reason (cos we are all such great  responsible cat ownders I am sure!!) Edinburgh does not have the same problem other cities do with being over run with kittens. In fact it is bugging me where I read this but I remember being surprised when I did come accross it - it was on a cat club site somewhere - vague I know!

I also found that the Edinburgh rescues listed on catchat are not very active and unlike their counterparts in West Lothian and Fife to do not utilise the internet as much and I know that a lot of people find there are waiting lists for indoor cats rather than the other way around - maybe because there are so many tenaments in Edinburgh ???

I ended up visiting the cat protection league in Leith (castlebank terrace) in person and they had two indoor cats available - and I fell in love with Bertie on the spot.

West Lothian cat protections league do have a very good website but do state they will re-home to West Lothian in the first instance and Fife also has some excellent shelters - they do homecheck in Edinburgh also (some of them do anyway - can't comment on all).

So it may be Edinburgh and the lothians are very lucky and in terms of rescues and unwanted cats are in a reasonable position - certainly the West Lothian site doesn't seem to have cats on for longer than a month or so and when I got Bertie he was one of the longest residents in the Cat Protection and had been there only six weeks!

Anyway I am off subject a wee bit - Bertie was 7 when I got him and he was the most affectionate and loving cat you could have ever wished for. My new two (had since Feb) are exactly the same and Edgar is just like a bit baby! In fact my partner was away when I got them and didn't move in until about two months after they arrived - and Edgar is like his little shadow - and he is 11 years old - so why not pop down to Castle Bank terrace and see what they have on offer - you might be pleasantly surprised  :Luv2:  :Luv2:  :Luv2:

Oh and just to give everyone a panic attack - maybe I shouldn't say this but I wasn't home checked and neither was my friend who got her fur babe out of the Edinburgh Dog and cat Home (forgot to mention them !)  - I don't know if that was because we were both re-homing indoor only cats but we were vetted on site with questions about lifestyle rather than in our homes.

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Kucinta

• Adult Cat
  • Milo & Remy
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 22:30:32 PM »
Hi,

I live in a one bedroom flat, go out to work all day, and have two wonderful indoor cats. I have to admit they are Singapuras, not moggies. I've had them from kittens, they are excellent company for each other, but still have plenty of time for me when I get home. I am very grateful that I took the 'two for company' advice, though I understand that not all littermates remain as close companions as my two boys once grown. I also wanted a breed that was suited to indoor life, and that was also fairly lap and people friendly.

I also tried local rescues whilst researching, and found that most were reluctant to home kittens where there was no one at home during the day, and said they didn't have adult 'indoor' cats, and it wasn't fair to try and turn a previously indoor/outdoor cat into an indoor one. Which is why I ended up going the pedigree route, as the kittens were about four months old when they came to me. I live on a busy main road, with the car park for the flats out the back, so the cats have to be indoor.

If you can find rescue cats that need indoor homes that would be great!  In addition to general rescues you might also consider 'breed' rescues, for the reason that they may be more likely to have been brought up as indoor cats. You might also find in any rescue, breed or moggy, cats that have been put up for re-homing because they don't get on with other cats, and need to be the only cat in the household. That might suit your situation.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 21:23:04 PM »
Adult cats bond to humans just aswell as kittens, its more a human idea about wanting one thats small and needy towards them. And if your hubby hasnt ever had a cat before a lonely bored kitten isnt the best sort of intro to the feline species! Crazy non stop annoyance that messes up your paperwork  :evillaugh:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 17:36:59 PM »
I would definitely urge you to adopt a rescue cat (or cats) as there are so many abandoned, bereaved or lost cats in rescues waiting for homes.  Many of these are indoor cats for one reason or another (see below - or above  :evillaugh:).

Apart from this, there is the advantage to you that the cats' temperaments will be known to the rescue - whether they are mousers, for example.

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Oatybix

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 17:28:57 PM »
Really appreciate your helpful replies guys. I have a lot to talk about with my hubby tonight I think!

Hope to be a cat owner soon   :thanks:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 17:19:20 PM »
Hi &  :welcome: to Purrs

I was in a simliar position to you in that I wanted to adopt indoor only kittens, I approached my local Cats Protection and they would not consider rehoming indoor cats/kittens to me as I work full time yet the local RSPCA branch would.  I fully appreciated, and still do, that an indoor cat requires much more attention and interaction than one that has access to the outdoors.  I don't have any other pets or children (yet) and had so much love to give but I was knocked back due to working full time, that was exactly why I wanted two kittens so that they would have each other for company when I was out. 

You could try contacting shelters within a radius which you'd be prepared to travel and ask them about their policy on indoor cats, each branch of Cats Protection varies on their policy (I know we have one branch on here that is very much in favour of indoor only cats/kittens) and whether they would be prepared to home slighty out of their area.  You might also consider a kitten that needs to be indoor only such as a deaf, blind, 3 legged or FIV kitten.

Also, I know you say you only really want one kitten but two are so much fun, my boys love chasing and playfighting each other and then they'll snuggle down for a cuddle together.  I think having two is actually easier and less work than having one, I play with them loads but that time added to the time they play with each other means I'd do nothing but cuddle or play with them... hmmn maybe  that wouldn't be such a bad life after all  :evillaugh:  I

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 17:17:57 PM »
Have you considered a cat that has to live be indoors? Like an FIV pud? We have various members here (and our own FIV section) who can tell you what a wonderful life these cats can lead and they are perfectly happy indoors? Yes, they will most likely be adults but as many of us can tell you, we have rescued cats of all ages and sizes and they bond so well with us.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/board,10.0.html here is the section, have a look and see if this is an option for you.

Mine came to me at 3. She's 5 and she was my mistress pretty much from day one. It doesn't take a lot, promise.

Give yourself the time to be sure what circumstances you can allow for.

The most important thing is that you are able to insure your cat/s. Vet bills can be high so having adequate insurance in place is a must, to save your pocket and any heartache later should it come to that.

Here are some other rescues in your area:
http://www.catchat.org/adoption/lothian.html

Hope this all helps.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 17:11:57 PM »
I've got a moggie from a rescue, had him since he was a baby, he's indoors and I have no other cats. So it is possible.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 17:07:03 PM »
Keep on for a moggie there are so many out there desperate for homes

Offline Oatybix

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 16:59:59 PM »
Thanks for your answers! Great site this.

I visited the local Cats Protection today and was told that they very rarely get kittens, and when they do they get rehomed immediately.

The lady from the other shelter who I phoned said that she has a waiting list for indoor adults.

We have transport so I'm wondering if perhaps the best idea is to think outside the box a bit and maybe adopt a non local kitten, though wouldn't want to travel too far in case there was any doubt on either side when we met.

I feel a bit loathe to pay for a kitten from a breeder - not because I grudge the money, but because I grew up with 'moggies' and I don't want a fancy cat. Also seems a shame if there are cats in need of a home.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 16:53:52 PM »
Shortage of kittens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They must be the only place!

It is recommended that a kitten comes with a buddy but being indoor should not be a problem.....only to certain rescues it seems.

An older more sedate cat maybe the answer and many have lived all thir lives indoors and are desperate for homes.

I am sure you will get lots of advice on here and if you got to Cat Chat  you will find recues in your area that maybe a bit more helpful than the one that you have been talking to.

www,catchat.org

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 16:48:46 PM »
most rescues will only home kittens in pairs but normally adults can go alone though different ones have different rules about indoor/outdoor I'm sure somebody on here local to you can give you a bit more info

Offline Oatybix

• Kitten
Am I a suitable cat owner? Please be honest!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 16:41:53 PM »
Hiya, I'm new to the forum.

I grew up with cats throughout my childhood and am a true cat lover, but have not owned one as an adult. I live in a traditional tenement flat in Edinburgh which locals will know come with mice as standard! I'm keen to get a kitten/cat to keep my pest problem at bay, also as a loving pal for me and my husband - we don't have kids.

We both work full time although my hub works from home and is generally in and out throughout the day.

I spoke to a lovely lady from one of the local shelters and she told me that there is a shortage of kittens as so many people want them, and also she did not give kittens to be 'indoor cats' as they prefer to home them to a house with a garden. Fair enough I guess!

She also said that if it was to be an indoor cat she'd prefer that we took two, so they had each other for company.

We only want one cat, and I really wanted it to be a kitten so that my hub can bond with it as he has little previous experience of cats, though I'd happily take a small adult and can see the benefits of that.

Do people here generally think that indoor cats should always come in pairs? I'm losing heart after what the shelter lady said. I know I can give a cat a loving home but I'm worried that I will find it very hard to find a cat suited to our circumstances.

Link to CatChat