Author Topic: can anyone give me advice regarding finding home to rent with a cat.  (Read 2139 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: can anyone give me advice regarding finding home to rent with a cat.
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 11:03:36 AM »
Just had an update on this, the girl has got a flat and the landlord would be ok with twix but its a "factored building" whatever that means so she cant take him and its a 12 mnth lease, however a work colleauge of hers has said his mother should be able to foster so she is very hopeful she will be able to sort of keep him and get him back in 12 mnths  :)  she's very very happy that she  shouldnt lose him.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 10:02:55 AM »
Havent heard from the girl in question as of yet, I hope to today & someone on here has kindly offered to temporarily help out with twix if necessary  ;)  Hopefully it wont come to that and he wont have to be in cattery for too long, can only cross fingers.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 18:18:31 PM »
When I was looking last year, quite a few landlords this way accepted cats if you had a letter from the vet to say the cat had been Frontlined and paid an extra deposite to cover carpet treatments when you left.  :sneaky:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 16:40:12 PM »
When we moved here, we had to rent somewhere as the house purchase took months due to the sellers messing us around. We stayed at a B&B and mentioned to the landlady that we were struggling to find a property that would allow 3 cats. She said she had a bungalow on the seafront we could rent  ;D - It was a dive and £800 a month. I'm embarrassed to say that the cats did pee on her sofa though  :-[

We left the place 10 x cleaner than it was when we moved in though  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 16:40:47 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 16:39:02 PM »
I moved in to a standard agent's "no pets" type house and then decided to get a cat. I asked them and they were fine and even wrote me a letter to take to any shelter that asked to see proof. It was just put in as a clause in my contract that I paid for any damage.

I'm very fortunate as regards my cats' scratching habits and they didn't go for much in the house, but there was one spot by the front door on the bottom-step-carpet. Oh, and they chewed the blinds. I gave the carpets and the blinds a haircut before I left and they were none the wiser  :evillaugh:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Dark Moon

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 15:15:15 PM »
I have been both a renter with my cats and now have a house which I am renting out - to a fellow with cats.

I agree that you must be up front about the pets. Beyond that....   Given the numbers I had, I thought once to have a friend (and vet) write a 'letter of recommendation' - saying he knew my animals and their habits, that they did scratch but only their 'kitty scratch table' (it was a small unpainted table I got when I was in University) and so on. The landlord was initially reluctant but after reading the letter said o.k.

It might be worth a try!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 13:53:51 PM »
I did that once Mrs R. Actually was cat-free when I moved in but acquired one fairly soon afterwards (Bob). Four months later I was offered a post in another part of the country so had to relinquish the flat early, with the result that i had to hold 'open house' inspections. Poor Bob would be put in his travel box in the rooftop laundry with a note attached to the cage to reassure folk he had not been dumped!! :rofl: :rofl: Doing it that way meant I knew when I was expecting the agent and so could take evasive action ... :evillaugh:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 13:43:45 PM »
When me and my husband rented we found some agents and landlords were a definate no no and some were fine with it as lonng as you agreed to have carpets professionally cleaned when you left.   When you join an agent just say you with animals only - they should know which of their clients are ok with pets.

Do not ever keep qiuet about the animals as we once did many many years ago as it can backfire - we had to leave and move again as they said the cat goes or you go - we obviously all went together!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 13:55:35 PM by MrsR »

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 10:32:55 AM »
I'm not a fan of twix's - but this one I would certainly love to munch on  :Luv: - what a totally adorable babe.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 09:52:19 AM »
I've just been having a quick swifty through the rental property market and most arent even mentioning animals tbh, i have just emailed one estate agents simply asking if any of their aberdeen properties for lease will allow 1 indoor cat. 

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 09:35:14 AM »
I've rented 4 different places with my boy Lynn, all unfurnished, but obvioulsy carpeted etc.

I've just always offered to either increase the deposit (which has never been taken up), and had a clause written into the tenancy that I will steam clean all carpets and dry clean curtains etc.

All agents say no pets, but cats are generally more accepted than dogs in rental properties, and its always worth asking  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 09:31:21 AM »
thanks i've just passed that info on through email and she has confirmed she definately wants to keep him if possible.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:24:20 AM »
If she is looking for a furnished flat she will have problems as the landlord will assume the cat will destroy stuff. If she is seeking unfurnished it will be worth a shot. Having been a landlord myself from time to time, I have generally been fairly flexible, depending on the individual tenant's situation. For example, my first investment house had a tiny back garden so I said no dogs (basically out of consideration for the potential dog resident). But the tenant had a very elderly dog who was quite sedentary, and I was happy with that arrangement. It is always worth asking, as the rules are there to provide the landlord with an 'out' if they are otherwise uncomfortable.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
can anyone give me advice regarding finding home to rent with a cat.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:20:12 AM »
I have just been contacted by an ex colleauge of my hubbys who got her self an adorable red/white kitten last year (his name is twix  :) )  anyway she is rather distraught as she's just split from her b/f and needs to find new accomodation, twix meantime is in the cattery and she says he is apparently very unsettled without his mummy and they have only just got him to eat.  She says she needs to rehome as the usual rent with pets problem.  so far i have said even if rent ads say no pets its worth contacting to find out if they would actually allow 1 single indoor well behaved cat.

i have also linked her to catchat website but is there anything else you guys could advise ?  I know her family isnt up here and before she has contacted me i guess she has eliminated possibilitys her end.

ps she's in aberdeen..any advice for me to pass on would be great thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat