Author Topic: Mario is being sick - advice needed please  (Read 1803 times)

Offline fran

• Kitten
Re: Mario is being sick - advice needed please
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 16:24:14 PM »
He has been ok since yesterday afternoon and he has been eating and drinking as normal, so I think it was maybe just a reaction to the injection. He has been ok with his tablets last night and today. So I'm hoping he's better now, but otherwise I'll be straight down to the vet.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 14:18:02 PM »
why don't vets set up an NHS for kitties so you can phone for general advice when you need it, not just during office hours ...grrrrrrrrrr

As much as I dislike vets now , I have always found them useful and the vets do seem happy to advise over the phone.....

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 19:38:06 PM »
However, from time to time he gets bouts of cystitis which he has had this week again

Theres a supplement for improving the bladder, i use it for my nutty bladder cat. Its called Cystaid or Cystease (this brand is the same but cheaper) you sprinkle it in their food.

He could just have a furball  ;D

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 17:57:14 PM »
why don't vets set up an NHS for kitties so you can phone for general advice when you need it, not just during office hours ...grrrrrrrrrr

I can do that with both the vets i use.
When they are closed you have to ring an emergency number and at least you can get advice over the phone

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 17:49:36 PM »
If he's not being repeatedly sick all the time and doesnt seem unwell then contact your vet tomorrow, perhaps try him with "light" food ie chicken tonight and maybe only allow him little at a time, obviously make sure he's drinking enough for the cystitis and he's not getting dehydrated with the vomit sessions.

Offline fran

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 17:24:23 PM »
My vet is pretty good normally. They're open until 8pm on a weekday and having a couple of hours on a Sunday is pretty good. The emergency service can be run by any vet in the area though (I've used this before) but I'd rather speak to my own vet who know his history.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 17:19:08 PM »

Offline fran

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 17:17:23 PM »
I would ring them now but they are closed until Sunday lunchtime.

Yes, the injection he had included antibiotics too. He is used to having pills because he has been taking liver pills daily for the last couple of years with no problems. He has also had antibiotic/anti-inflammatory injections before for other attacks of cystitis but he's never been sick with it.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 17:00:51 PM »
Is it not possible to ring your vet now and just ask his/her advice?
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 17:00:32 PM »
did the vet inject him with antibiotics or are you giving him pills ?

antibiotic pills such as synulox etc dont normally  cause vomiting but of course if he is senstive having them put over his throat or he really doesnt take to the taste then this might be the cause.  It might be worth while requesting he gets covered via injection for the biotics just incase.

Offline fran

• Kitten
Mario is being sick - advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 16:56:45 PM »
Hello everyone

Mario has been diagnosed with FLUTD and he is on a special diet and takes liver tablets. However, from time to time he gets bouts of cystitis which he has had this week again. He went to the vet yesterday and they gave him an anti-infammatory injection and some antibiotics. He was sick early this morning and sick again just now. He is never normally sick. Could this just be a reaction to the injection? Once he has been sick, he runs off and seems ok again. It's when he eats, he starts being sick. I'm also worried that this will mean his antibiotics won't work because he is throwing everything up.
My vets is open from 1-3pm tomorrow, so I might be able to take him again. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Many thanks
Fran.

Link to CatChat