Author Topic: Fleas  (Read 3279 times)

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
Re: Fleas
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 11:19:52 AM »
Fleas can bite me all they want I have warfarin flowing in my veins
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 11:14:38 AM »
Have noticed a small red 'scabby' patch on Bubbles' neck this morning - I assume it is flea related although no other signs on her or the others.   Was worried about using Frontline as the patch is quite close to where it should be applied ?   Any advice appreciated.   Thanks.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 17:37:31 PM »
I had a little *ahem* incident with Tiggy last year, she hadn't had a flea for over 6 years even though she was still allowed out for 5 of those years.  So as you can imagine I was as horrified as you are now to find she had fleas as an indoor cat  :shy:  I blame my neighbours as they always let their cat jump in the window of the communal areas so it was allowed in the hallway which is carpeted, either that or she got it at the vets as she was going every month  :shify:

Always someone to blame Helen ;) Couldn't possibly be us bad Mummies bringing them in :no: :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 17:30:50 PM »
You'd better hope they don't bite you on the face, the mark left by them can take weeks to go away :evillaugh: 

I had a little *ahem* incident with Tiggy last year, she hadn't had a flea for over 6 years even though she was still allowed out for 5 of those years.  So as you can imagine I was as horrified as you are now to find she had fleas as an indoor cat  :shy:  I blame my neighbours as they always let their cat jump in the window of the communal areas so it was allowed in the hallway which is carpeted, either that or she got it at the vets as she was going every month  :shify:

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 17:23:44 PM »

If you were infested then you would deffo know it so try to sleep tonight!

Don't say that :sick:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 16:35:32 PM »
I dont know if its true or not but someone told me fleas are like gnats and only the females bite, i cant sex gnats so they all die   :rofl:

If you were infested then you would deffo know it so try to sleep tonight!

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 16:31:40 PM »

When i was young i use to sit in the frontroom with my feet off the floor so i didnt get bitten. Then one day i decided not to wear socks so i could lure them in and catch them  :evillaugh:

:rofl:

Hopefully the indorex will arrive tomorrow from VetUK and I can give the house a good clean.

I feel a bit better actually after seeing the flea and how small it is ;D Bc of the pictures you see, I imagined a thing the size of my fingernail :rofl:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 16:28:51 PM »
When you spray the house you need to do all rooms even if they dont have carpet. Go all round the skirting and do soft furnishings such as sofa, rugs, cushions etc.

When i was young i use to sit in the frontroom with my feet off the floor so i didnt get bitten. Then one day i decided not to wear socks so i could lure them in and catch them  :evillaugh:

Offline crazycatz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 14:18:48 PM »
if u  de flea every 4/5 weeks without fail (even house cats ) then there shouldnt be any fleas or flea dirt
even if the other cats/kittens had fleas the fleas on your cat should be dead as soon as they jump on the cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 02:59:14 AM »
Just seen some Frontline spray  on e-bay (from USA, although says made in France) it says  for dogs, cats, puppies andkittens 8 weeks older. Yet in this country the spray can be used on kittens from 2 days old.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 23:01:26 PM »
that is an awful story, you were flogging carpets to go into peoples houses that had FLEAS already in them  :shify:

i'll remember and get my indorex at the ready when i move house  :evillaugh:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 22:59:45 PM »
I used to work in a department store. Acres and acres of carpet - absolutely crawling with them! :sick:

I once saw a young mum place her baby on the floor while she was looking at some clothing. I called out to her to pick the baby up. She starting shouting and yelling at me saying the baby wouldn't harm the "precious" carpet.  :what: :stupid: She picked the baby up, still yelling at me.... then I pointed to the flea swimming in the baby's drool.  :sick: :sick: :sick:   :ooops: She stopped yelling at me then.

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 22:06:35 PM »
I have two very big midge bites red and extremly itchy and the skin all round the red bits is swollen and hard like a boil The swollen bit is about as big as my little finger nail.

That's nothing - you ought to try harvest mite bites... As itchy as  :censored: they are - flea bites are nothing compared to this. I think I need some Frontline too.  :doh:

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 21:56:05 PM »
It's just the thought of them being on everything :sick:

And there's no point washing stuff till I get the indorex :(

Yuck yuck yuck, and you's 2 stop laughing at me :P :evillaugh:

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 21:54:13 PM »
I have been bitten twice in the office two days running.I'm using my Boss's office as he is on holiday  They tend to bite where the body is hottest and the blood is near the surface like the crook of the elbow orback of the knee and the chest armpit areas. I have two very big midge bites red and extremly itchy and the skin all round the red bits is swollen and hard like a boil The swollen bit is about as big as my little finger nail.

I think I'll need to frontline myself tonight lol ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 21:44:30 PM »

if they bite us what does a bite look like? red swollen i imagine?...

A small red spot like a midge bite - as Lynn said. If you see a group of three or four or more in a straight line, it'll be fleas. They can't walk forwards, only sideways, you see...  :evillaugh:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 21:40:54 PM »
well thats just great..you keep your finest doon there, far too fine for the likes o north east teuchters  :rofl:

i used to spray myself with nuvan everyday nearly before going home, i must be immune to organophosphates  :evillaugh:

if it bites just abit like a midge bite, yer leg winna fall off dont worry  :-:

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 21:39:05 PM »

:hug: Sarah, but try getting out of the bath and seeing a ring of fleas around it after you've dealt with a stray.  ;) :evillaugh:

you are kidding :sick:

if they bite us what does a bite look like? red swollen i imagine?...

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 21:37:20 PM »
we've got scotlands finest thanks :sick:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 21:36:59 PM »
I remember the bad old days before Frontline....  :evillaugh: All we used to have as powder and aerosols like Novan - all of which the cat would run for it life at the very site of!  They even knew when you cam near them with a cotton wool soaked in the stuff - they just hated the smell of it and would scratch you trying to escape.

I've had to brush out fleas manually from battered, bedraggled and tatty strays because they were too ill to spray with anything.

:hug: Sarah, but try getting out of the bath and seeing a ring of fleas around it after you've dealt with a stray.  ;) :evillaugh:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 21:36:17 PM »
eeewww no ta, i'm nae havin weegie fleas up here  :evillaugh:

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 21:30:40 PM »
You better watch out or I'll bring you a few up :evillaugh:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 21:29:17 PM »
sarah frontline is great but it prob takes a day or two to work  :evillaugh:

Sorry i think the flea threads are so funny, you lot that let your cats get fleas should be strung up  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

as always susanne and helen for sure agree with me  ;)   :rofl: :rofl:

• Super Cat
Fleas
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 21:20:59 PM »
Just a moan really..

Yesterday at the vets they found some flea dirt on Charlie :doh: Couldn't find any fleas though, so he was fronlined there and then.

Tonight I seen my first live flea :sick: It was just sitting on the top of his fur, wriggling, I shouted on OH to get it, he squashed it between his fingers and put it in water :sick:

Anyways, I have ordered some Indorex and more frontline for the other two. Gives me the creeps though, last night I was scratching for hours bc I was dreaming I was covered in fleas, woke up the OH at 4am to "check me for bites" :rofl:

Lynn suggested yesterday that they may have come from the foster kittens I had which is probable. (My Mum has been informed and has taken them to the vet today.)

Anyone any tips for spraying the house etc? And also, how many fleas are usually on a cat to begin with, I know that sounds a silly question, but if they haven't been there for long..

Oh, and finally.. If Charlie was frontlined yesterday, why wasn't that flea dead today? How long does it take to work.

He's back at the vet tomorrow, so any advice appreciated ;D

Link to CatChat