Author Topic: Obese Cat!!!!  (Read 7091 times)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Re: Obese Cat!!!!
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
Agree Chris. 

Harleys Owner, Please have a read of the info below posted again for you about the serious dangers to continue feeding Harley in the same way, he will die an awful death if you carry on.
PLease please get him to a vet and on a weight loss system. If you care anything for him, please put him 1st and not a way for you to make and advertise for money from his condition.
I am sorry but this thread will be locked and your account suspended for time being. Please contact me at email Purrs@chaptan.co.uk, if you are serious about helping Harley and we can reopen your account so you can post and get lots of support from us to help Harley loose weight and get back his health. We are on your side if you care enough to help him. Please don't let him suffer.

Please have a read of the following;-

EFFECTS OF OBESITY

Obese cats, like obese humans, are generally less healthy and have shorter life expectancies. There will always be exceptions, but it is not safe to assume that your cat is the exception. The detrimental affects of obesity include:

Cardiovascular disease
Diabetes mellitus (sugar diabetes), specifically late onset diabetes.
Hepatic lipidosis (a type of liver disease)
Lameness due to arthritis (joints wear out due to carrying too much weight)
Cystitis (lower urinary tract disease).
Because obese cats feel less healthy, they are less likely to take exercise and, if the owner doesn't reduce the number of calories fed to the cat, they become more obese. Moderate to severe obesity should not be ignored. Maintaining the cat's bodyweight close to optimal (this can be determined by your vet based on the cat's size and age) avoids obesity-associated diseases.

WHAT CAUSES OBESITY?

Studies have shown that cats at higher risk of obesity include: non-pedigree cats, male cats, neutered cats, indoor cats (and cats with little outdoor access) and cats that are "only cats" or only have one other feline companion to interact with. Neutered cats require fewer calories than unneutered cats. Some cats are genetically predisposed to weight gain. There are breed differences too - the more "hyper" breeds tend to burn off more calories. Endocrine diseased/malfunctions can also cause obesity e.g. under-active thyroid gland. As they age, cats become less active and their food intake needs to be adjusted accordingly. The main cause of obesity is over-feeding. Overweight owners frequently have overweight cats - people who have weak wills with their own diets tend to give in more easily to a begging cat. Boredom is another cause. Just like bored humans, bored cats often snack. Cats can become couch potatoes too!

32 lb (14.5 kg) "Tiddles" lived in the ladies' lavatory at Paddington Station, London, England for 13 years. He was adopted in 1970 as a stray 6 week old kitten by lavatory attendant June Watson. He dined on chicken livers, lambs' tongues, kidneys, rabbit or steak brought in by his admirers and had his own personal fridge. Tiddles piled on the pounds, but his fans continued to send him titbits. Vets' attempts to put him on a diet failed due to all the titbits and, one assumes, the weak wills of his carers.  By then, he was eating himself to death. He was put to sleep in 1983 after vets found fluid round his lungs. Tiddles had been killed by kindness. Photos show a grotesquely overweight and sad-looking cat, immobilised by his own girth.

LIKE OWNER, LIKE PET

Owners like convenience food for themselves and their cats. More and more people like to snack while doing other things (watching TV, using the computer) rather than eat set meals at the table. They extend their snacking, food-on-demand, habits to their cats. Research into the snacking lifestyle vs the set meals lifestyle show that snackers underestimate the amount of food they eat. Likewise, owners underestimate the amount of calories fed to their cats in the form of snacks. Studies in humans indicate that snacking also affects the metabolism leading to weight gain. People who are generally less active are less likely to encourage their cats to be active. Fit, active, health conscious owners tend to be more aware of their pet's health needs. Pets' lifestyles mirror the lifestyles of their owners.

If the owner has, or can make, a few extra minutes each day to help a cat lose weight that time would be well spent in interactive play and getting the cat into the "exercise habit". A wand-type toy or games of chase with a table-tennis ball or scrunched ball of paper are suitable interactive games.  There is far too much emphasis on static toys such as climbing posts - cats quickly grow bored with static toys and stop playing with them. There is also too much emphasis on technological toys that don't require owner interaction such as battery operated toys, but these are predictable and cats soon lose interest.  Most cats want to interact with the owner so those extra 5 minutes should be spent on encouraging the cat to take whatever exercise is suited to its age and state of health.

If the owner is genuinely unable to chase about with the cat (owner disability, illness and heavy pregnancy are valid reasons), there are radio controlled toys that encourage the cat to run around while the owner remains seated.

If you can make more than five minutes extra, alternate the proprietary weight loss diet with some home-prepared foods or use the time to cook some vegetables to add to the cat's diet.

If you think your cat is overweight, it is important that a vet examines it. The vet will rule out any underlying medical causes and will determine the severity of the weight problem. He will discuss a safe and effective weight-reduction programme with the owner and set targets. There will be regular weigh-ins, possibly at an animal weight clinic, usually every 2 weeks. Rapid weight-loss is dangerous for cats, so the regime will be aimed at slow weight loss and long-term success. In many cases, simply cutting out the titbits and encouraging the cat to get more exercise will solve the weight problem.

In most cases, dietary management will be needed alongside lifestyle changes. The aim is to reduce the cat's daily total calorie intake. This won't be a drastic reduction, but a moderate reduction so that the cat loses weight slowly. Importantly, between-meal treats must be cut out. The amount of food given at each sitting is generally reduced or a lower calorie food ("light" food) is given. If the cat eats canned food, mixing a bulking agent allows the cat to eat what feels like a full portion so its stomach feels full and it is less likely to beg or scavenge. Bulking agents include cooked mashed potato, cooked pasta, canned pumpkin and cooked rice. "light" cat foods are available from vets in both canned and biscuit form. "Less active" formulations are also available in many supermarkets and pet supply stores.

THE MULTI-CAT DILEMMA

What happens if only one of the household cats is overweight? How can the owner prevent it from eating the other cats' food as well as its own? The most usual solution is to feed set meals in different rooms and to remove any uneaten food once the cats have eaten their fill. The fat cat is probably eating a different diet and is likely to view the other cat's food as tastier.

Ad lib feeding is right out in a household where one cat is becoming obese. The overweight cat probably snacks more often than its thinner housemate(s) and is probably eating the thinner cat's rations as well as its own. If the thin cat is agile, but the fat cat is not agile, then food could be placed on a counter or shelf. The thin cat can reach it, but the fat cat cannot (at least not until it gets slimmer and fitter). Another solution involves fitting a small cat flap in the door to a closet or room and putting the thin cat's food in that closet or room. The thin cat can get through the cat flap to its food (especially if it is fed ad lib), but the fat cat can't get through the cat flap.

THE ROLE OF EXERCISE

Exercise burns off calories. Cats that have outdoor access tend to spend time exploring, climbing, interacting with other cats, chasing things, investigating interesting sights, smells and noises etc. They are less likely to become overweight because they are using up the calories they have eaten. Indoor-only need to be encouraged to take exercise to prevent them from turning into feline couch potatoes. Unstimulated cats get bored and spend much of their time snacking (if fed ad lib) and sleeping. Snacking can be prevented by having set mealtimes and removing the uneaten portion after the cat loses interest in the meal. A cat used to being fed ad lib will take a few days to get used to not snacking.

Paranoia about the outside world means that more and more cats have less and less opportunity to burn off the excess calories through outdoor play. Indoor only cats need plenty of environmental enrichment: climbing and perching posts, toys that can be chased or thrown about, hidden (low calorie) food treats for them to hunt out and interactive games with the owner e.g. wand toys.  Otherwise they tend to become inactive and the laziness habit is as hard to break in cats, as it is in humans. Just as there is growing acceptance of human obesity, there is growing acceptance of pet obesity and owners who take insufficient exercise themselves, often don't understand the importance of exercise for their pets.

As owners work longer hours, they spend less time playing with their cats.  The TV-dinner culture (inactive owners) contributes to this. To compensate for working longer and longer hours, guilt-ridden owners give their pets treats which adds to the excess calories. Owners should compensate for long work hours by making time for interactive play.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2007, 12:10:14 PM »
I reckon we'll turn this one off now.

Thread locked by mod.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2007, 08:52:30 AM »
Harleyfats, your poor cat can hardly walk. You've delighted in promoting a film of him struggling to clean himself, etc. You're attempting to cash in on his plight by asking for sponsorship. You call him degrading names in an attempt to raise emotion and gain publicity. What possible benefit does your cat have from all of this? You can use a computer - why can't you pick up a phone and call a vet?

You need a license to use a fishing rod, but they'll let anyone have a cat....  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2007, 08:42:46 AM »
I think if you're really serious about getting help- for your cat, you need to get rid of the blog and take it seriously. Seeing that video and blog, you seem to be taking enjoyment (if I can use that term) out of the fact that your cat is so huge.    He may not eat a lot as you say, but what you are feeding him is what is making him put on weight.

Doughnuts and burgers are not good substitutes for even cat treats.

(Tan, your call on this one...)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2007, 08:40:46 AM »
Well my poor cat can't get excercise because he has to stay in doors.  I really don't feed him TOO much.  I think only eats a little more than the average cat so I don't think that should make him so fat. 

He was so skinny when we got him, I don't know what I did wrong. 

Indoor cats can get exercise - you need to play with him and encourage actiivity.  And it's clear he is eating too much otherwise he wouldnt be the size he is.  Please take our comment seriously and get him to a vet and on a weight loss programme.  

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2007, 08:39:52 AM »
Well my poor cat can't get excercise because he has to stay in doors.  I really don't feed him TOO much.  I think only eats a little more than the average cat so I don't think that should make him so fat. 

Your website/blog states otherwise "it's time for my second lunch" etc..

And why make up a blog bragging about how big your cat is if you don't feed him "TOO much?"

All 3 of my cats are indoors and each one is a perfectly healthy weight.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2007, 08:05:28 AM »
Not going outside doesn't mean they can't get exercise, there are lots of things to do for indoor only cats - as most of the people on here can tell you.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2007, 06:30:13 AM »
Not enough exercise......there are plenty of indoor only cats on this site who have a good bill of health.....you have to be cruel to be kind sometimes......it just dos'nt work the other way round  ;)

Offline harleyfats

• Kitten
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2007, 05:58:18 AM »

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 20:40:18 PM »
no I didn't pinkbear. I just saw the thread post and made myself 20 minutes late for work ( lost wages  :censored: >:() posting because I thought it was genuine and  important .
Thanks for the offer really but if its cruel I would rather not read it and I'll take the advice of all of you that had to read it. Thanks pinkbear. :Luv:

have to get some new glasses lol :doh:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 20:45:16 PM by Nick (Peanut & Boo) »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 20:09:28 PM »
Nick, did you get a chance to see the website and blog? If not, I'll PM you links to them. I'm as rational as levelheaded as the next person, but trust me, Harleyfats treatment of his cats is not honourable...  :(

• Super Cat
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 19:34:49 PM »
Sorry but I disagree, I have no time for people like this.

That website/blog was absolutely disgraceful.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 19:02:14 PM »
to be fair no nasty stuff was posted and for me atleast it was kind of obvious that the youtube film was just not right, no one would make such a light hearted film surely of such a pityful sight.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 18:59:19 PM »
My opinion is pretty fixed with the "cat fighting for it's life" comment  >:(
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 19:01:55 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 18:56:01 PM »
I agree Nick, the cat is the most important person here and the other two feline members of the household looked as if they could do with short rations for a while too. So, yes, it is fair to be cautious, but this was just posted yesterday so give them a chance to respond REmember also that they are in a different timezone to us so may not have been awake to log on and read the good advice that was given by people such as Lynn.

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 18:53:08 PM »
wow such a lot has happened since I went to work this morning !

I didn't see any blog so was completly unaware of all this . I just thought Harley was a genuine owner asking for help and advice.I didn't see any evidence of intentional cruelty so  I naturally had to take the post on face value because I was unaware of anything else.

I still think that until we know to the contrary , initially we should all try to greet every new member with curtesy and sympathy otherwise ultimately  it will be the cats that will suffer not the owners , if they never come back to post again because of the critism and lack of sympathy they receive from some members too quick to jump to conclusions or find fault  ;) Its more likely that constructive advice balanced with some empathy will have the desired effect.
I trust  that this observation is accepted with the same concern and affection that it is intended. I am not looking to incite a debate or argument its just my opinion  ;D ;)

• Super Cat
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 14:00:20 PM »
i have done as mark suggested.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 12:20:21 PM »
perhaps we all should pinkbear.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 12:19:17 PM »
I have followed Mark's suggestion.  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 12:18:22 PM »
Thanks Tan just saw your email, agreed, best to delete if no response. I really do hope his owner thinks twice about this and follows sound advice. 

I'd encourage everyone here to leave the thread for now and give Harley's owner a chance to respond by tonight.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 12:16:42 PM »
Better to not give any of his sites any web traffic at all and i hope he will pop back here and hopefully take some of our advice about getting Harley to a vet asap and on a weight loss system before he dies a horrible death.  :'(   If we have no responce from Harleys owner by tonight trying to actually help Harley , the threads will be removed and account deleted.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 12:14:40 PM »
And you are broadcasting your animal curelty ??

YOU ARE A  SICK PERSON

:censored:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 12:13:18 PM »
I feel so sorry for the cat :'(
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 12:12:48 PM »
If anyone still has the link, please can they forward it to info@awfc.ca (the animal welfare foundation of canada) - maybe they can investigate this cruelty.

Also

Canadian Federation of Humane Societies
102-30 Concourse GateOttawa, Ontario(ON), Canada K2E 7V7 (613) 224-8072 1-888-678-CFHS (613) 723-0252 info@cfhs.cawww.cfhs.ca

http://cfhs.ca/info/contact_us/

The joke is the loser who thinks its funny to kill his cat and advertise the fact and think its funny.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 12:15:23 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 12:05:21 PM »
I agree with Dawn. I've just watched some of the vid, with is subtitled "fat cat struggles to live" and it is obscene.

The owner is obviously proud of the suffering inflicted upon this poor cat by its obeseness.

Sorry, but I don't think this person deserves our attention, and the cat should be taken away and rehomed.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 11:58:34 AM »
Sorry but dont think this person cares a blind  :censored: about their cat.

Their post on another forum:

"Check out this huge cat!

You can see him on youtube, his name is Harleyfats. See his movie. Pig Pig The Movie.

I'd post a link for you guys but I can't 

Hes so cute though, seriously ..."
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 11:33:50 AM »
Sorry but i have agree with the links removed. I really hope Harleys Owner get help from his vets very very soon to help Harley loose the weight as he clearly knows that much can kill him from this guy's blog asking for people to donate to help save his life.    These links are def not allowed to be promoted on Purrs.

Please Harleys owner, Take him to your vet and please put him on a weight loss system. To be feeding him burgers and many meals every day for him to be in that coindition is awful for him and very dangerous..  

Please have a read of the following and please ask us for any advice to help Harley. We will be very glad to give any help we can and would be interested in his health and progress on a weight loss system. .

EFFECTS OF OBESITY

Obese cats, like obese humans, are generally less healthy and have shorter life expectancies. There will always be exceptions, but it is not safe to assume that your cat is the exception. The detrimental affects of obesity include:

Cardiovascular disease
Diabetes mellitus (sugar diabetes), specifically late onset diabetes.
Hepatic lipidosis (a type of liver disease)
Lameness due to arthritis (joints wear out due to carrying too much weight)
Cystitis (lower urinary tract disease).
Because obese cats feel less healthy, they are less likely to take exercise and, if the owner doesn't reduce the number of calories fed to the cat, they become more obese. Moderate to severe obesity should not be ignored. Maintaining the cat's bodyweight close to optimal (this can be determined by your vet based on the cat's size and age) avoids obesity-associated diseases.

WHAT CAUSES OBESITY?

Studies have shown that cats at higher risk of obesity include: non-pedigree cats, male cats, neutered cats, indoor cats (and cats with little outdoor access) and cats that are "only cats" or only have one other feline companion to interact with. Neutered cats require fewer calories than unneutered cats. Some cats are genetically predisposed to weight gain. There are breed differences too - the more "hyper" breeds tend to burn off more calories. Endocrine diseased/malfunctions can also cause obesity e.g. under-active thyroid gland. As they age, cats become less active and their food intake needs to be adjusted accordingly. The main cause of obesity is over-feeding. Overweight owners frequently have overweight cats - people who have weak wills with their own diets tend to give in more easily to a begging cat. Boredom is another cause. Just like bored humans, bored cats often snack. Cats can become couch potatoes too!

32 lb (14.5 kg) "Tiddles" lived in the ladies' lavatory at Paddington Station, London, England for 13 years. He was adopted in 1970 as a stray 6 week old kitten by lavatory attendant June Watson. He dined on chicken livers, lambs' tongues, kidneys, rabbit or steak brought in by his admirers and had his own personal fridge. Tiddles piled on the pounds, but his fans continued to send him titbits. Vets' attempts to put him on a diet failed due to all the titbits and, one assumes, the weak wills of his carers.  By then, he was eating himself to death. He was put to sleep in 1983 after vets found fluid round his lungs. Tiddles had been killed by kindness. Photos show a grotesquely overweight and sad-looking cat, immobilised by his own girth.

LIKE OWNER, LIKE PET

Owners like convenience food for themselves and their cats. More and more people like to snack while doing other things (watching TV, using the computer) rather than eat set meals at the table. They extend their snacking, food-on-demand, habits to their cats. Research into the snacking lifestyle vs the set meals lifestyle show that snackers underestimate the amount of food they eat. Likewise, owners underestimate the amount of calories fed to their cats in the form of snacks. Studies in humans indicate that snacking also affects the metabolism leading to weight gain. People who are generally less active are less likely to encourage their cats to be active. Fit, active, health conscious owners tend to be more aware of their pet's health needs. Pets' lifestyles mirror the lifestyles of their owners.

If the owner has, or can make, a few extra minutes each day to help a cat lose weight that time would be well spent in interactive play and getting the cat into the "exercise habit". A wand-type toy or games of chase with a table-tennis ball or scrunched ball of paper are suitable interactive games.  There is far too much emphasis on static toys such as climbing posts - cats quickly grow bored with static toys and stop playing with them. There is also too much emphasis on technological toys that don't require owner interaction such as battery operated toys, but these are predictable and cats soon lose interest.  Most cats want to interact with the owner so those extra 5 minutes should be spent on encouraging the cat to take whatever exercise is suited to its age and state of health.

If the owner is genuinely unable to chase about with the cat (owner disability, illness and heavy pregnancy are valid reasons), there are radio controlled toys that encourage the cat to run around while the owner remains seated.

If you can make more than five minutes extra, alternate the proprietary weight loss diet with some home-prepared foods or use the time to cook some vegetables to add to the cat's diet.

If you think your cat is overweight, it is important that a vet examines it. The vet will rule out any underlying medical causes and will determine the severity of the weight problem. He will discuss a safe and effective weight-reduction programme with the owner and set targets. There will be regular weigh-ins, possibly at an animal weight clinic, usually every 2 weeks. Rapid weight-loss is dangerous for cats, so the regime will be aimed at slow weight loss and long-term success. In many cases, simply cutting out the titbits and encouraging the cat to get more exercise will solve the weight problem.

In most cases, dietary management will be needed alongside lifestyle changes. The aim is to reduce the cat's daily total calorie intake. This won't be a drastic reduction, but a moderate reduction so that the cat loses weight slowly. Importantly, between-meal treats must be cut out. The amount of food given at each sitting is generally reduced or a lower calorie food ("light" food) is given. If the cat eats canned food, mixing a bulking agent allows the cat to eat what feels like a full portion so its stomach feels full and it is less likely to beg or scavenge. Bulking agents include cooked mashed potato, cooked pasta, canned pumpkin and cooked rice. "light" cat foods are available from vets in both canned and biscuit form. "Less active" formulations are also available in many supermarkets and pet supply stores.

THE MULTI-CAT DILEMMA

What happens if only one of the household cats is overweight? How can the owner prevent it from eating the other cats' food as well as its own? The most usual solution is to feed set meals in different rooms and to remove any uneaten food once the cats have eaten their fill. The fat cat is probably eating a different diet and is likely to view the other cat's food as tastier.

Ad lib feeding is right out in a household where one cat is becoming obese. The overweight cat probably snacks more often than its thinner housemate(s) and is probably eating the thinner cat's rations as well as its own. If the thin cat is agile, but the fat cat is not agile, then food could be placed on a counter or shelf. The thin cat can reach it, but the fat cat cannot (at least not until it gets slimmer and fitter). Another solution involves fitting a small cat flap in the door to a closet or room and putting the thin cat's food in that closet or room. The thin cat can get through the cat flap to its food (especially if it is fed ad lib), but the fat cat can't get through the cat flap.

THE ROLE OF EXERCISE

Exercise burns off calories. Cats that have outdoor access tend to spend time exploring, climbing, interacting with other cats, chasing things, investigating interesting sights, smells and noises etc. They are less likely to become overweight because they are using up the calories they have eaten. Indoor-only need to be encouraged to take exercise to prevent them from turning into feline couch potatoes. Unstimulated cats get bored and spend much of their time snacking (if fed ad lib) and sleeping. Snacking can be prevented by having set mealtimes and removing the uneaten portion after the cat loses interest in the meal. A cat used to being fed ad lib will take a few days to get used to not snacking.

Paranoia about the outside world means that more and more cats have less and less opportunity to burn off the excess calories through outdoor play. Indoor only cats need plenty of environmental enrichment: climbing and perching posts, toys that can be chased or thrown about, hidden (low calorie) food treats for them to hunt out and interactive games with the owner e.g. wand toys.  Otherwise they tend to become inactive and the laziness habit is as hard to break in cats, as it is in humans. Just as there is growing acceptance of human obesity, there is growing acceptance of pet obesity and owners who take insufficient exercise themselves, often don't understand the importance of exercise for their pets.

As owners work longer hours, they spend less time playing with their cats.  The TV-dinner culture (inactive owners) contributes to this. To compensate for working longer and longer hours, guilt-ridden owners give their pets treats which adds to the excess calories. Owners should compensate for long work hours by making time for interactive play.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 11:35:54 AM by Tan »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 11:31:31 AM »
yes lol i always wondered why hills went with the initials for food names, very confusing indeed

As for harley..i think his weight is due to the obvious overfeeding, intentional or otherwise but please please when you DO take him to the vet request a blood test is carried out for " hypothryoidism"  this is very unusual in cats but i was observing his extremelous rounded pendulous abdomen which is also a classic hypo symptom and may also increase his desire for food so it would be one of the first things i'd check aswell as getting the prescription food.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 11:25:19 AM »
Not sure Lynn,

I am sure it was called m/d but will have to check - I got ifo from their site.

Edit - just checked. The you are right Lynn, the m/d is the other diet one - I think it stands for metabolic diet. All very confusing  :Crazy: :Crazy:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 11:27:51 AM by Mark »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 11:06:25 AM »
has hills changed the maintanence version of r/d mark ? it used to be w/d that they were put on after goal weight was achieved. (I'm going to have a heck of a problem when i ever get back to work catching up lol)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 10:41:42 AM »
This poor cat is heading for Diabetes, high blood pressure, joint problems, heart problems and many more things. Not funny at all. If you care one bit about the cat, get him on a controlled weight loss program. Slow but sure. Hills do an excellent food called r/d which is high fibre so they feel full after eating. When they reach the proper weight, you can switch to m/d (maintenance diet)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 11:25:45 AM by Mark »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 10:29:06 AM »
Have moved topic to Health and Behaviour.

Offline tigertail

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 10:27:35 AM »
Just a quick note:  with regards to the donut, I never give my cats 'human' food and worry about the sugar content in cat food.  So perhaps good to cut that out!!

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 10:22:15 AM »
I think you might have to cut the mc donalds,popcorn and french fries out though :tired:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 09:52:16 AM »
Your cats are adorable :Luv:

I agree with the others though he does need to lose weight (but then you knew that already) ;)  The most important thing you need to realise is that your not alone,I think I read 60% of animals in the UK are "fat"  and a certain percentage "obese" so you are certainly not alone but you need to get him to the vet asap so they can recomend a good diet plan for him and there are people on here who would only be too willing to give advice too I am sure :)

Does he have food down 24 7?  I know for a fact if I left food down all the time for mine they'd eat all the time but I regulate their meals into 3 seperate meals,7am.3-4 pm and around 9pm at night but then I don't give treat,guess I'm a bad meowmy there :-[

Anyhow WELCOME TO PURRS and hope you'll enjoy your visits here as much as I do :) :welcome:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 09:39:54 AM »
Thanks PB. Other thread locked. I agree about passing judgement, let's keep a clear head about any comments made right now.

Harleyfats despite locking the other thread we still wish to welcome you here.  We're always keen to offer guidance, support and advice to any member, some have more experience with overweight cats than others. I am one of them and have finally found a great way to keep the weightloss moving slowly.  But needed the well given advice on here to help me do it.

If your question is serious then we are all here to help guide you as best we can. You have one gorgeous cat there, but needs help fast, in a sensible manner.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 09:04:24 AM »
I have also replied on the other thread Harleyfats has posted to.

I think you guys need to see Harley's website, and especially his blog before you make judgements on this member. I think if there's a passing moderator, it would be worth their while investigating a bit.  ;)

Offline tigertail

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 08:32:07 AM »
 :evillaugh:  What a fantastic video, really well put together and good music too!  Loved it. Your cats are beautiful.

Offline Bobjay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 08:01:26 AM »
Yes, it's all wrong and this puss certainly needs to go on a diet but - he is absolutely magnificent!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 08:00:46 AM »
I have answered this in the health section.  I am taking the post on face value  :shy:

Link to CatChat