Author Topic: need advice for muh friends little kitty!!! blood in his stools!!!  (Read 6246 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: need advice for muh friends little kitty!!! blood in his stools!!!
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 15:05:36 PM »
thats great on both accounts, hope this progress continues  :)

Offline y-sillars

• Kitten
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 13:13:00 PM »
Hello
        Bailey! my friends kitten is doing great,hes still on his antibiotics,but doing very well! thankyou! My little feral is doing okay,hes letting me stroke him,but still keeping me at arms length. Hes still hissing and spitting.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 12:55:58 PM »
hows both kittens doing y-sillars ?

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 07:56:41 AM »
If you don't have children, put the cage in a room you're usually relaxed in, but not one with too much bustle. Place a small litter tray and his food in it. Change these regularly, but make no attempt to stroke the kitten. Keep all the room doors closed when you're putting fresh food or a fresh litter tray in the cage, just in case he escapes. If he does escape into the room, let him be, don't  try to catch him to put him back, because this 'chase' will make him distrust you. Let him hide in the room, but make sure he stays confined in that room.

I kept Polly and Samantha confined in my bedroom for the first 2 months, and I spent a lot of time in there with them, just reading or watching telly etc. Samantha didn't need taming: she was a naturally confident semi-feral (a stray), and was at home in a couple of days. Polly was another matter - she sat behind furniture and trembled for a long time.

Your domestic circumstances, whether you are at home a lot, or if you have young children, will all make a difference to how you approach this. Allow the kitten as much undisturbed quiet as possible.

As most kittening pens are wire, put some shade over at least half of it, so that the kitten has a dark hiding place to feel safe in. This is better than leaving the cage (and the kitten) exposed.

If the cage you have is too small, you can usually borrow kittening pens from your local CP. (On tues I'm returning the one they lent me while Polly was ill. ) Some kind of donation would be appreciated.

Good luck with your kitten. Have patience with him.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline y-sillars

• Kitten
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007, 14:39:18 PM »
thanx for all the advice,greatly appreciated!!! He's under my bed at the moment,i've got a huge dog cage,it would fit an alsation dog in it,i'll put him in it,with his food and water dishes! Hopefully i'll get him tamed! hopefully!!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2007, 13:03:15 PM »
The secret is containment. DO NOT let him wander the house - you'll never see him again. A kitten pen is perfect, as it a dog pen.[/quote

I agree some people give them access to too much space initially. Limited access to the home is one of the keys to taming a feral. Although often many people call a cat feral that I would have called 'garden cat' that is a cat who was perhaps domesticated at one time, let down and left to its own devices and then had kittens. These types of cats usually tame down very quickly once contained.

We take in dozens of true ferals a year and an equal number of 'garden cats', all the garden cats tame down and also the kittens of true ferals. Unfortunately the true ferals adults rarely tame down so we let onto one of our fosterers farm and try to find homes in stables etc.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 12:56:11 PM »
My friend got him from a women in Glasgow when he was 8 weeks, she paid about  £200 and she did say that he was vacinated and wormed.

Although too young to have been injected, had the kitten been there would be  the injection card to go with the kitten.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 12:49:56 PM »
Re your feral kitten.

Cat Action Trust 1977 is packed with very good articles about how to tame down feral kittens. At 17 weeks, he's older than wold be ideal, but it's still doable. The secret is containment. DO NOT let him wander the house - you'll never see him again. A kitten pen is perfect, as it a dog pen.

http://www.cat77.org.uk/articles/feral3.htm

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 12:02:26 PM »
ps y-sillars, i didnt mean i was upset with your friend but the person she got her little baby from.

same here - it makes me mad when bad breeders sell underage kittens against all guidelines.  They give reputable breeders a bad name.  Maybe y-sillars has got the age wrong?  At 8 weeks he can't have had his vaccinations.

Good luck with your feral kitty.  Hopefully at that age he can be tamed.  Dawn (diddydawn) would be a good person to ask as she has a lot of experience with ferals.  You could try sending her a pm.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 12:02:56 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 11:37:04 AM »
what would be the best for y-sillars with the kitten, keeping him in 1 room of the house or one of those large collapsable dog cage types ?

ps y-sillars, i didnt mean i was upset with your friend but the person she got her little baby from.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 07:45:44 AM »
The kitten you've taken from the barn was probably born to a feral mother. He's tameable, but it could take some time. Don't try to pick him up or cuddle him. Just leave food for him, and access to a litter tray. Leave the room to allow him to eat and use the tray, especially if he's hiding. He won't do this in front of you because he'll be too fearful.

It will take weeks, maybe months, before he becomes comfortable in your home. Meantime KEEP HIM IN! Otherwise he'll head for the hills and you won't see him again. His mother taught him to fend for himself and fear people. You have to teach him that you won't harm him. Do this by LEAVING HIM ALONE.

Don't try to approach him, stroke him, pick him up. Just provide him with necessities and calmness. Eventually, he'll realise that you won't harm or scare him and he'll make approaches to you. When he does, don't move towards him. Let him dictate the pace. Any move from you will scare him and you'll be back to square one.

The main thing about taming ferals is TIME. Don't expect to have a loving kitten for a long time.

I've tamed at least three ferals of various types. Polly was the most feral, frightened to death of people. She now trusts me totally. But it was 6 months before she would sit on my lap. Until then, she spent a lot of time hiding.

Feral kittens don't take quite so long, but still need lots of time.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 19:48:45 PM »
A varient laperm is still a laperm, just one with straight hair.

a laperm X with something else would be different.

Glad he's ok but quite furious that somebody is backstreet breeding permies  >:(

Offline y-sillars

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 17:03:09 PM »
Hello
        ive just taken in a little kitten who was born in a barn,the rest of his brothers and sisters died so he was the only one left,i took him to the vets and he says hes about 17 weeks old. Hes gorgeous but, he wont let me near him and hes spitting and hissing,how can i get him to relax to me??
 Any ideas?? xoxox
 ps my friends kitten did the toilet and it wasnt runny!!! very happy to hear that,its made my day!!!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 15:27:39 PM »
I'm glad he's ok.  Fingers crossed the antibiotics work and he's well again very soon.

8 weeks is too young for him to have been sold.  Registering organisations for pedigrees specify that they should be at least 13 weeks old when homed, and fully vaccinated

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 14:55:38 PM »
If he was 8 weeks he wont be properly vaccinated, first jabs are done at 9 weeks with a 2nd one 2-3 weeks later.

Fingers crossed the ABs work  ;D

Offline y-sillars

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 14:44:52 PM »
Hello
        he went to the vets,ang got a antibiotic jab and wormed and  also got some liquid antibiotic to take away too. The vet said that the antibiaotics should work and he should be fine within 48 hours,but if he isnt then,my friend has to take him back. i hope he gets better!
 My friend got him from a women in Glasgow when he was 8 weeks ,she paid about  £200 and she did say that he was vacinated and wormed. Hes a viarent laperm.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 13:01:33 PM »
I'd be very surprised if the kitten wasnt vaccinated prior to homing, unless we've got a backyard laperm breeder on the go somewhere that i dont know about but there are a couple of proper/good breeders in scotland so hopefully he came from one of them.

Let us know how he got on though  :)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 01:41:43 AM »
I hope all went well at the vet. Has the kitten had all its jabs? A runny bum with blood could be very serious in an unvaccinated kitten. Please let us know how the visit went.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 12:24:53 PM »
Hiya, where about is your friend ?

There arent too many permies around so a good chance i may know of your friends kittens breeder.

Presumably she's only had him for a couple of weeks, so apart from the advice of getting him to a vet sooner which i agree with i'd also let the breeder know aswell as they will be able to provide more accurate worming dates and products given etc also whether or not the wee one had any digestive problems prior to homing.

Let us know how she gets on.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 11:51:12 AM »
Hi, I had my Bengal babies at the vets this week because Mellika (little girl) had some blood in her stools.  The vet we saw said that as long as the poo isnt really watery a little blood isnt anything to worry about and that it will be a large bowel infection/.  He gave us some antibiotics and she seems a lot better already. He said that overfeeding or stress can be a cause.  Hope the little one is better soon xx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline y-sillars

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 10:02:13 AM »
hes about 15 weeks old. hes seems to be playing and acting his usual self,but i really hope that its nothing serious,my friend would be very upset!!!
 The vet never gave my friend any adivce just to bring him in at 6 2nite.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 09:48:14 AM »
I agree - a vet visit is needed.  I hope the little chap is ok.  When your friend booked the vet visit was she given any advice as to what to do until then?  If he's got diarheoa it might be a good idea to feed him very lightly today - just some plain chicken maybe.

I'll move this to health and behaviour as you'll likely get more responses over there.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 09:35:41 AM »
Worms or overfeeding, how old is the little chap?

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 08:29:38 AM »
Hi, we have a very old cat who sometimes gets blood in her loose stools, my vet says it's probably some stomach irritation but as I say she's extremely old (though very fit).  It may just be a diet thing or some inflammation for some reason always better to get it checked though and vet will tell her what's what.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 08:03:31 AM »
I would try and get him in at the vets sooner, diarrhea can be hard on kittens. Good luck.
Please spay your cat

Offline y-sillars

• Kitten
need advice for muh friends little kitty!!! blood in his stools!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 08:02:08 AM »
hello guys!
               im doing this in the behalf of a friend of mine,her little laperm kitten has been suffering with dioreah lately and thought that it was his diet,so she change his diet to another kitten food,but the dioreah didnt go away,now he has some blood spotting in his stools?
 As far as i know shes taking him to the vet at 6 thisevening,but was wondering if anyone can she some light for her just now!!!
all advice and comments are very much appreciated!!! thankyou!! xoxox

Link to CatChat