Author Topic: Cat food suggestions to stem vomiting update he's gone.  (Read 7298 times)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
Re: Cat food suggestions to stem vomiting
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 12:43:31 PM »
Hills i/d food is good for cats with vomiting, upset tummies or both (and can be fed to cats with sensitive tums) so that might be worth a go. It comes in wet and dry versions. Maybe get a can or 2 from your vet to see if he'll eat it and if he will then VetUK does the prescription foods at a lower cost than the vets usually do, even with postage cost it's still usually cheaper.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Cat food suggestions to stem vomiting
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 12:38:41 PM »
Are you feeding wet or dry. Sometimes if it is dry food they ingest more than is good for them, then, once inside the stomach it swells up from the moisture and pops right out again. So if the food you have used is dry then I suggest you move onto wet until his tummy settles. If it is already wet and just too rich, then perhaps some of the science foods designed for sensitive tummies? Fairly sure Hills does one.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
Cat food suggestions to stem vomiting update he's gone.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 12:34:53 PM »
Hello all!  Firstly I should say that my cat is being seen regularly by a vet, I'm just after a bit of a broader perspective and maybe some additional thoughts.

My old boy is nearly 20 and has had some kind of lump in the vicinity of his liver for around 2 years now.  Blood tests haven't thrown up anything of too much concern - kidneys functioning ok, liver enzymes slightly raised but not beyond normal 'stress' expected levels.  The size of the lump seems to have been kept under control by the use of steroids (these have also helped with his chronic vomiting problems which he has had for the past couple of years also).  A few weeks ago, he started vomiting pretty much daily, so we have moved across to steroid by long acting injection as it seems that the tablets may have been irritating his stomach.  He didn't vomit for 4 days after swapping so I guess that it has helped to some extent anyway.  Then he had a couple of days of vomiting again and was refusing most of his food, so I have been feeding him cooked chicken which he has been eating with great gusto and he hasn't vomited since.  Is it possible that the food I've been giving him (RC sensitivity control) is too rich for his old tum?  In which case can anyone suggest what else I can try - I'm guessing that whilst cooked chicken is very tasty, it's probably not nutritionally balanced for him. 

All suggestions gratefully received - I have another vets appt booked for Thursday so would appreciate any thoughts you may have that I can discuss with the vet then.   :thanks:

Edited to say - other than the lump and vomiting, he is behaving quite normally and cheerfully and is not giving me or the vet any other cause for concern.  Although he is old, he is not in a condition yet where either of us would suggest PTS.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 17:37:46 PM by fluffybunny »

Link to CatChat