Author Topic: Help with rescue cat  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Help with rescue cat
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 10:41:41 AM »
Poor little soul ... how can people be so cruel.  Thank you for offering this little lady a second chance.

If you need help resizing your pics the following may help:

http://www.download.com/JPEGCompress/3000-2204_4-10404412.html?tag=lst-0-1

or

Image Resizer for windows XP

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
It's the 10th or 11th on the right hand side .. Image resize.
Once installed right click on the photo you want to resize.
Select resize pictures
Select advanced
Select custom
Put in 400 by 300 (sometimes you have to put in smaller figures if it is still too big).
Click ok and it makes a custom photo ready for uploading

You can resize more than one picture at a time by highlighting them all and following the resizing steps above.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline dementedcatwoman

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 00:20:43 AM »
Thank you both so much for the advice. Will pick up the feliwell on Monday and will read what Wizz has to say about this tomorrow. I've got a lovely photo of Bella feeding her babies but when I tried to add it on to the site it said it was to big...and as hubby is away I have no idea how to do it! Will ask a friend tomorrow as I would love you to see her. I love all my cats but theres just something about Bella that has really captured my heart. I could happily murder the person who has hurt her but they don't treat their animals the same in Spain. You should see the kittens and puppies in the pet shops...it makes my blood boil!!!
Well its now 1.22am over here so off to get some sleep before Bella wakes me for her breakfast. Thank you all so much for your advice...I've been so worried but its lovely knowing there are other cat mad peeps out there to guide me!!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 00:12:05 AM »
I think this is one case where Feliway might prove useful.  ;)

Can we get a picture of this poor little soul? We just love pictures!  :evillaugh:

And say a big Thank You to your hubby from all of us at Pinkbear Towers.  :wow:  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 00:10:26 AM »
Hi

Here are some links for intoducing new cats to the household...  http://wizz-catz.co.uk/behavioural.html 

There are lots of different sections in that one but below are two which are probably most relevant to you.  Wizz runs her own rescue and is a cat behaviouralist so it really is top advice.

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/introducing.html 

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/multicat.html

The feliway is a good idea, I know some people have had better results with the spray than the plug in although I would have thought the plug in would be best as it diffuses the hormones throughout the house. Good luck with Bella, look forward to hearing from you in the future telling us how well they get on!

Offline dementedcatwoman

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 00:02:31 AM »
Hello Pinkbear. Thanks so much for letting me know about her hormones. I've fostered quite a few litters this year but Bella is the first mummy cat I've dealt with.
The day she came to me I took her straight to the vets as her paws were bleeding. She had been burnt on all of them and I don't think I've ever cried so much. She also has a huge bald patch on her tail which is from burns and the tip of her right ear is turned back and the skin has grafted back onto itself...caused by another burn.
She is fine now. Eats well...plays...and was a fantastic mum to her babies. Gave her lots of attention the day they all left. I know you are right that this is going to take a long time and I have no intention of turfing her out. Its just so hard when I have 5 other cats (all rescue)and 2 kids (not rescue!!) all demanding my attention (hubby is serving in Iraq)!!!
I'll give her a couple of weeks in my bedroom and then try introducing her to the others again. I have thought about getting some plug in hormone treatment (felliwell?) from the vets but wasn't sure if that would confuse her more?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 23:52:01 PM »
Well done for taking on this puss.  :hug:

I have a pal living in Spain and the stories I hear are dreadful.  :(

So how many other cats do you have?  ;D

One point I'd make is that it can take a few weeks for breeding hormones to finally get out of a cat's system after they have been neutered. She should be a bit calmer in a few weeks or so. But that aside, I can't begin to imagine what she's been through - burned with cigerettes, you say?  :rage: I think you have to come to terms with the fact she's been badly traumatised and her rehabilitation will be in terms of months and years rather than weeks.

These types of cats are the most challenging and rewarding. I know she'll have you in tears of joy one day. Try to give her space and time. Time cures an awful lot of hurt....  ;)

Offline dementedcatwoman

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 23:37:47 PM »
Hi Ela. Yes I've had her done. She has her stitches out on Monday. I was hoping this would calm her down but if anything its got worse. Shes lying next to me on my bed right now and is so content it breaks my heart. Just don't know what to do with her.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 23:34:12 PM »
Thank you foir giving mum a chance. Has she been spayed yet?
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline dementedcatwoman

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 23:29:55 PM »
I meant to say that we live in Gibraltar and she was rescued from Spain thats why we havn't contacted the RSPCA.

Offline dementedcatwoman

• Adult Cat
Help with rescue cat
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 23:01:42 PM »
Hello. I recently fostered a very young female cat and her 3 kittens. We've managed to re-home all the kittens but Mama Bella (as we have named her) has lots of old scars that the vet thinks is from cigarette burns. She was actually left in a cardboard box to die with her babies.
We decided to keep Bella with us and our 5 other cats. She is very beautiful (black all over) to me but looks really scrawny and scabby to everyone else!!
Anyway after having her at home with us for 5 weeks she is still bullying the other cats. She won't let them use the litter trays, attacks them at the slightest movement and is just making life pretty miserable for all of them. I have moved her into my bedroom so that the others can get some peace but obviously this is only a short term solution.
Could anyone please give me some advice as I really don't want to give up on her as she has stolen my heart!!
Many thanks, Emma

Link to CatChat