Author Topic: Which diet food for Kylie  (Read 8411 times)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
Re: Which diet food for Kylie
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 13:03:50 PM »
My Ted weighed 7.75kg and he was down to 7.04kg at his last weigh in, my vets said not to worry as he is a big framed cat.

That does sound rather heavy tbh.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 13:05:13 PM by Team Svartalfheim's »
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 13:01:45 PM »
My Ted weighed 7.75kg and he was down to 7.04kg at his last weigh in, my vets said not to worry as he is a big framed cat.

Have the vets said Kylie is overweight and told you to put her on a diet?

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 12:51:04 PM »
It's a shame they don't put cereal content as a % per kg on the back of packets really.

We would be shocked I'm sure  :evillaugh:

I wonder how the l-carnitine % on the light compares with the neutered?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 12:31:10 PM »
Just had a look on the packet and the indoor one is 8.2% fat and 470mg of L-carnitine per kg which is nice and high (helps convert fat to muscle). It's a shame they don't put cereal content as a % per kg on the back of packets really.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 12:22:35 PM »
I checked the indoor once and it's 12% fat compared to light which is 8% - It doesn't sound a lot but is 50% more fat. I also read an articlew online recently that said the fat content isn't the only issue as the high carbs from the cereal is a big problem for obese cats too. I will look at the ingredients for neutered and hopefully will be cheaper - Although I would prefer a bargain, kylie's health is the main priority.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 11:09:09 AM »
The M/D sounds quite good from what I have read online. Worth having a look at the calorie and fat content of the Hills Neutered Cat food whilst you are there too as I'd imagine that's cheaper than the prescription food and may be just as low in calories/fat. The Hills Indoor is also very good.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 08:45:31 AM »
I didn't rate r/d, never got to try the m/d as the vet didn't stock it as standard, and didn't want to buy a 2kg bag to find out they didnt like it.

Our vet doesn't stock anything so I will need to order it in regardless. It may be that they will only prescribe m/d in extreme cases?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 08:44:38 AM »
How much does she weigh Mark? What sort of frame is she?

At the last weigh-in, she was 6.85kg - down from 7.05kg  months previous  :scared: - she is large framed.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 08:10:19 AM »
I didn't rate r/d, never got to try the m/d as the vet didn't stock it as standard, and didn't want to buy a 2kg bag to find out they didnt like it.
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 22:14:00 PM »
How much does she weigh Mark? What sort of frame is she?

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 21:36:19 PM »
Ah yes, fond memories of the enormous poos - had forgotten that, thanks Mark. :doh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 21:34:27 PM »
I like the sound of the m/d (metabolism diet?) as it converts fat to energy rather than filling her with fibre which may upset her stomach?

I will ask at the vet tomorrow as I have to do a kiity transfer  ;D - The choice of hills food is bewildering. I'd like to get her on wet but she's not interested - she is always at her drinkwell so should be fine.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 19:57:26 PM »
I used R/D on Bob when he got to 7 kg (he was cunning and carried all the weight on his belly, looked scrawny and neglected from above and only realised just how heavy he was when I tried to pick him up one day  :-[) It worked really well, but the cat needs to be an indoor cat and other cats fed separately.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Which diet food for Kylie
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 19:55:01 PM »
I'm determined to get her weight down - she has developed a very slight limp which I think may be due to her weight (I will get it checked if it continues) so decided to order some det food. I am sticking to Hills as I know she likes it but confused as they do r/d/ m/d and w/d - I see w/d is to give them whem they have attained the ideal weight but should I order r/d or m/d?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 19:56:16 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat