Author Topic: ADVICE ON INTRODUCING YOUR CAT OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP PLEASE  (Read 5410 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: ADVICE ON INTRODUCING YOUR CAT OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP PLEASE
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 07:44:44 AM »
Glad things have worked out well and he seems happy.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 20:46:41 PM »
 :Luv:  Hi and  :thanks: for all your wonderful advice on Max the Maddy going out doors

He is well and truly found his land legs, there is no stopping him.  He now uses his cat flap, well charges through it at a hundred miles an hour to make his presence known to all.

He is now charging up and down the spare ground behind our house trying to catch birds, flies, anything that moves really.  Don't think he realises he has a bell on his collar  :rofl:

but he seems to have settled down now, don't think he has bite or swiped anyone this past week now hes out and about.

So  :thanks:  again for help.  one happy and not so stress out meomy saying I don't know what I would do without you all  :evillaugh:

Angie xxxxxxxxxxx

[attachment deleted by admin]
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2007, 16:56:01 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 16:53:47 PM »
No I am sure that the cogs in his brain are spinning  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Super Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 16:52:08 PM »
 :rofl: wee update

didn't let Max out himself last night, walked round with him in garden.

Anyway went to go out with him this afternoon, we started walking round garden when he lifted his
 royal nose in the air and walked straight back into the house.  Not that bothered about going out now because he can. :hug:

Grrrrrrrrrrr can someone please tell me what all the fuss was about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Crazy: :Crazy:

You don't have to be mad to like cats but it helps  :rofl: :rofl:

:thanks: for all help and advice, but I don't think this is the end of this saga do you  ;)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 16:54:41 PM by bobsmum + Max's (angie) »
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2007, 19:23:54 PM »
Yers Desley you are right  ;D

Maximan sounds like he is a normal devious feline and is doing it all on his terms  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 17:18:40 PM »
 :Luv: :Luv:  Can't wait for the pressies  :sick:

wont take anything for granted though  :rofl:

Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 16:41:03 PM »
Sound like you've cracked it, Angie.  ;) Just you wait til wee Max brings Meowmy home a take away.  :rofl:

IMHO, case closed!  :wow:

• Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 15:39:03 PM »
 :thanks: J

Took him out a couple of times yesterday to get used to scents and the garden, but I think he was being polite hanging around with his moemmy  :rofl:

Max certainly knows what he wants, went out this morning for 30min and returned looking quite smug. 

So I dont think I will be able to keep him indoors for much longer, trying to only let him out at certain times near his feeding so he wont go to far and come back for his grub. :shy:

Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 08:39:05 AM »
Angie,

I think no one here is prepared to tell you Max is ready for the outdoors - we don't know him like you do. After all, if he's a mind for it, he could take off for the hills and find himself a troat fisherey. On the other hand, from what you've said - he came back in without any coaxing from you - what more reasurance do you need?

It's only you in the ground, but wee Max has the look of a moggy who likes to patrol his own back yard. And he's proved already he's a Houdini. Why not make yourself a cuppa and have a quite stroll around the garden, invite wee Max with you and tell him about your roses? Do the thing on your terms?

Jxxx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 08:12:17 AM »
They were right it turned out so every cat has to be treated on its merits and situation, one rule does not work for all sadly.

I agree, also just because a cat may know its name and come running to you in the home it does not necessarily mean once outside it will react the same. I know due the the calls I constantly receive that this is the case.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 08:50:29 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 07:57:15 AM »
Gill, the theory is that when you get a new cat, you need to wait until they know you as their owner and will respond to either a name or something like a biscuit tin, this is right for your average moggy, but dont forget Sasa is a different kind of cat. IT is a bit of a generalisation, but for people who might not register and only read this thread, it is the best advice - if you let them out after day 2, and they dont know you, they might not come back.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 22:05:59 PM »
O love Maxs face  ;D

Yes I think you have been lucky but it sounds Ok  ;D

Desley I am sorry but cant agree with you ref cats knowing there names and coming when called etc................Kocka knew her name from day one but would never come when called.......she was a dumped/stray cat so knew her way around the area.

Sasa will run if called, she knows her name but is terrified of being caught and hates people, she is an outdoor cat and scared to be trapped inside etc etc CP advice to me when Sasa ran away was to stop calling her cos she would just hide and as she was not motivated by food there was not gonna be a way of trapping her. As living with ferals she had learned to hunt and kill for food and she stayed away for 5 days before she decided to be brave enough to return and it rained torrentailly the whole time.

They were right it turned out so every cat has to be treated on its merits and situation, one rule does not work for all sadly.

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 15:05:44 PM »
 :sick: :sick: Update on Mad Max

:hug: This morning the bedroom window was on the catch, as I was going to work I was closing it ( OH is a securityfreak), anyway when I unhooked the catch Max shot straight for the window stood on the ledge (outside) looked at me looked down at the grass and jumped.

I shot down the stairs opened the front door he stood there looking at me as if to Say see I will get out then marched into the house, unscathed thank god.

Came home from work 3hrs later, he now knows the sounds of doors opening, keys turning in locks, windows opening, patio doors sliding etc (this little monkey should be called Houdini) anyway was taking a washing out when yes you guessed it Max ran passed me (wind blew open connecting door).

I talked to him as I hung up washing trying not to panic, he looked me up and down sauntered round the garden then walked back inside.

Do you think someone is taking the :censored:, or am I just very lucky.  Think he reads the replies I have been sent :Crazy:, anyway still not taking anything for granted keeping him in  :sneaky: when I can for the mean time :rofl:
 He is cute ain't he.  Thats his who me  face!!!!!
 :thanks: for all advice Angie x

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 15:09:58 PM by bobsmum + Max's (angie) »
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 13:36:13 PM »
I'm always overly cautious when letting mine out after moving.(Which is the same as them moving to a new home, I guess!)

My cats love going outside so I'd not stop them permanently, but when we first move into this house I think I kept them in for two months! :shy:

I was housesharing to begin with and every time someone came in or out the house I'd be all "Close the door!Close the door!"  :evillaugh: Thankfully they were all animal lovers (obviously) so they got why I was so neurotic about the whole thing!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 08:23:22 AM »
also would be wary of the harness, I have only had one cat who would tolerate it.

I agree, I have known occasions where cats have lost their life,  e.g.  on 2 separate occasions a cat has seen a bird on the fence simply slipped the harness jumped over the fence, shot through the neighbours garden and straight into the path of a car. Other owners have thought they are doing their cat a favour and attached the collar or harness the cat was wearing to a washing line or something fixed closer to the ground, 3 cats in a short period of time were hung from lines and a couple of others have strangled themselves when fixed closer to the ground.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 07:47:44 AM »
I am strict and follow the 6 week guideline, and our adoption papers state that as well. The basic rule is to make sure that they know you and will come to you - if they dont come to you either with a command or by shaking food, dont let them outside. I also would be wary of the harness, I have only had one cat who would tolerate it. If you want to try it though, make sure you put it on supervised in the house for a while before hand, and that they are used to it, and also that it is very secure, as if they get frightened on it, they can get away from you, and could end up being more dangerous (I tried it with a foster who had been here a while, she pulled the lead out of my hand, and ended up catching the handle on the bushes - easy to retrieve her, but could have been dangerous for her).
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 07:38:52 AM »
I've never allowed more than a week and mine have been fine.

I would say Mark that you have been very lucky, every day I receive calls about lost cats and many are from people who have moved and let the cat out before the recommended time.  So many people think that because they are there and the cat knows them the cat will stay,  sadly in many cases it does not and often the cats that are found are either near the old home of somewhere between the new home and the old. I feel it best to air on the side of caution.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 22:37:09 PM »
I think its all down to the cat and you knowing the cat. Gandolf went out after 2 hours as he kept throwing himself at the window. He was absolutely fine as soon as he got outside and didn't wander at all.

However I let Aslan out after 10 days of him hating being shut in and he went off like a bullet and didn't return for 13 hours at 2.30am and I locked him in for another fortnight in fear of it happening again.

On average, I'd say keep in for about 3 or 4 weeks unless your cat is particularly dim (sorry Freddie hun)

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 21:59:31 PM »
The rescue we got Smoke from said 6 weeks.

Course, I had her spayed and now she doesn't care about going outside. So her like the rest are indoor kitties.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 21:55:35 PM »
Can really sympathise with you but try to keep Max in for at least four weeks. Have introduced my last two cats to the great outdoors on a harness and it has worked a treat. Have had no trouble with them after this as they seem so familiar with the local scents. I even used to take them around the local area on a harness. :-:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 21:26:18 PM »
I think you have to play it by ear, well by cat.

I dont know how old Max is but if he is more than 2 yrs old I would think he knows what outside is all about.

I agree with the no feeding him but if he is that desparate to go out......................hope you are a long way from where he used to live.......and you feel he will be safe and are prepared to accept any risk................then I would try letting him out.

I have been lucky cos Kocka was too old to wander when we moved here so went out from day one with me and Sasa and
Misa didnt want to go out for a long time but once Sasa had then there was no turning back! The birmans were kept in for about a month, maybe longer and they had started to get a bit desperate.

Good luck with whatever you decide  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 18:58:20 PM »
Ugg goatboy, poor ozzy is going to be presenting you with a litter of 9 kittens soon  !

Peronally if it was me i'd keep them in for the max length of time...but then mine have a run and to be honest even if i was in a safer area with no traffic i would probably be too scared to let them roam.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 18:48:25 PM »
The general advice is 4-6 weeks, but that's an awful, awful long time....

Personally, I've never had a limit. When a cat appears settled in the house (usual minimum a week), I do the following...

Wait until the cat is really, really hungry. Go outside first - before you allow him out. Then gently open the door and let him follow you. All the cats I've ever had have been a bit cautious when first allowed their freedom, so I use that. Stay with the cat, follow a few feet behind - that's really important! If he looks like going near a fence - scoop him up. After a few minutes, they've usually had enough and start thinking of their tummy, so I pick them up and take them back inside. I do that at least 5-6 times before I let them out of their own. Start with just a few minutes, then build up.

I'm not convinced about the harness idea. Mine do a runner when I come near them with a harness, and you will, eventually, have to let Max out without one.

I think it's a case of you having to know your cat well. You'll know if he's ready. The blanket suggestion of keeping a cat in for weeks and weeks in impracticle in my experience - the more you try to imprison a cat the more it tries to escape and that isn't going to change with time, only get worse.... All they're doing is getting used to their bearings so they can find their way back - your door looks very different when viewed from the garden. So do bushes, trees... Like with everything else, overload them with knowledge and they'll forget it all. But once puss knows full well where his bowl is, or where the tray is, or where you keep your vacuum cleaner, he's ready to learn more....

Best of luck

Juliexxx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 18:24:28 PM »
Not what you want to hear but 4 weeks is what i think is the minimum time preferably 6   
Ignoring him is the way to go

I agree 3 weeks not long enough we advise 8 in the hope that people weill keep them in at least 4.  With kittens  we advise to be kept in until neutered/spayed.

Please also remember to always provide a litter tray irrespective of your cats age even if they are allowed out, if you keep an eye on what your cat is passing, you can spot many problems, e.g, cystitis is very common in cats and needs urgent Veterinary treatment. It is shown up if the cat uses the tray frequently and or, passes blood, something you would never know if you had no tray
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 18:28:21 PM by Ela »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 17:27:22 PM »
playing with next doors cats.

It wont be that innocent for long, it would be wise to keep her in until you have her spayed.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 17:16:27 PM »
I've never allowed more than a week and mine have been fine. When we moved here, I gave it 3 days. My mum turned a rescue down in Essex as they insisted on 8 weeks so she went to CP who advised 4 weeks. I thinks its down to individual. If it was a new cat, I would allow longer but if it was a cat moving with you, less.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 17:13:15 PM »
The first time I let Oz out, I was very nervous, I had images of opening the patio doors ,and Ozzy shooting off over the horizon never to return, or course she did as soon as she got hungry. She was cautious the first few times, and came back to home when she wasn't sure of her surroundings.

I have had Ozzy chipped (even though its gone down her right leg) and signed up to the missing pets bureau (overkill I know but I like to be safer than sorry)

Now she is climbing trees, going under my shed, going into the neighbours garden, playing with next doors cats and running along the top of fences faster than any squirrel.

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 16:22:58 PM »
 :thanks: yes hes chipped and has a cat flap that he has took to fighting to get out,  bet he wishes he had a crow bar ha ha

Its like the great escape here.  It was rescue centre told me start going out on harness week 3, so you think 4-6 weeks ok wish me luck

Got any earplugs  :rofl: :rofl:
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 16:15:00 PM »
Not what you want to hear but 4 weeks is what i think is the minimum time preferably 6   :evillaugh:
Ignoring him is the way to go, Simon used to kick up a a stink when he started going outside and i'd get him in for the night but he's used to it now, just gotta keep to a routine.

Is he chipped? If not it would be a good plan.
I open the door before breakfast and use food to encourage them to return. Also do it on a day you havent got to go out so you dont worry. Make sure you leave the door open for him.

• Super Cat
ADVICE ON INTRODUCING YOUR CAT OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 15:42:54 PM »
 :Luv: Hi its me again looking for advice on introducing Max outside

As some of you already know I got him from rescue centre nearly a week ago and I know I need to keep him in for another 2 weeks.

My plan was to introduce him on a harness round the garden and surrounding areas (about week 3) that way i would no he was safe and I could bring him indoors when i needed too.
I also read that it takes about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks to re programme the brain and get totally comfy with the new surroundings.

Any way Max has took to howling like a maddy through the window, patio doors, back door now the cat flap early in the morning and about 9ish at night, I think this must be when he was let out before. He just goes from 1 place to the other looking for an escape route. :rofl:

There is no distracting him tried food and treats he will come away but go back and start again (ignored him at first never made any difference), so now I need the advice of all you knowledgable ladies and gents to help me.

Now where did I see that thread annoying thing cats do ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evillaugh:

Please help :thanks: Angie x :Luv:

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 15:51:20 PM by bobsmum + Max's (angie) »
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Link to CatChat